FOR SALE Elgrand 3.5 rider 2003, 80000, snow 4x4 option

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Been looking at some forktrucks that have been at work with Lpg bottle standing upright, that what be plus on saving space , think bottle was 18kg so guessing that’s 30litres of Lpg ish , that would make mine a lot better on runs

Lpgc

Premium Member
I can sort you out with a forklift bottle if you want one mate. I used to sometimes use a forklift bottle how you've said for additional range. Depending on how your tank pipes are routed it can be fairly simple to plumb in a pipe to allow running from a forklift bottle in the boot. One problem then is refilling the forklift bottle... If you buy refills / exchange bottles it works out more expensive than buying gas from a forecourt. It isn't easy to refill them yourself, you have to screw on a different fitting to refill the bottle and the fitting has to be modified because forklift bottles have a one-way valve that has to be depressed to allow gas to flow into them. Another problem with forklift bottles is that they have an excess flow valve which can limit the amount of gas they will flow to enough for only about 70bhp, so it's a matter of getting the right forklift bottle that will flow a lot more than 70bhp (matter of experimenting with different bottles until you find the right one). Then there's the tank venting and fill limiting aspects - When a proper autogas tank is fitted inside it has the 80% fill limiter built in and all the connecting pipes run in externally vented gas tight fittings, so in case there's a leak or the tank vents the escaping gas goes outside rather than inside. It doesn't matter so much if an external tank vents because the vented gas goes outside and when the pressure comes down a bit the vent valve will close again but forklift bottles don't have the same type of excess pressure vent valve... if a forklift bottle mounted inside is over-pressured it could dump all it's gas (not just a bit) inside the car rather than dumping just a bit of gas outside the car. If you do go for a forklift bottle it's best to run it to completely empty and then you can make sure you don't' fill it to 100% by watching how many litres you put in, you'd want to put about 36L in an 18kg bottle. Also got to secure the bottle, wouldn't want it flying around in a crash. Don't want to be alarmist or anything, I used to do it myself because I got cheap gas from a dodgy forklift bottle delivery driver, just to remind people that forklift bottles and autogas tanks are very different and forklift bottles don't have nearly as many safety features. I know you'd be alright with a forklift bottle but it's not something I'd be happy to help just anyone get set up with.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I’ve seen refillable forktruck bottles , but only liked this idea cus I saw bottle standing up , instead of flat spoiling boot space , is there tanks that stand up ???

Lpgc

Premium Member
Forklift bottles should work either on their side (only at a certain angle) or stood up but some forklift tanks seem not to have their liquid pickup tube all the way to the bottom of the tank so work best on their side anyway... Again just a matter of getting hold of the right tank.
The only purpose designed autogas stand up tanks are designed to go in place of stand up spare wheels, they're a special type of 'toroidal' (spare wheel) tank, the usual type spare wheel tank couldn't be used stood up. No autogas cylinders are designed to be stood up but i would be possible to use one stood up if the valve is mounted 90 degrees to how it's usually mounted and the float mechanism is modified. Not something we should do but possible and would be safer than using forklift tanks, the fuel gauge wouldn't work at all but you don't get a fuel gauge on a forklift tank either. At least the autogas tank would have external venting, excess pressure relief valve, electronic solenoid control of it's gas outlet and be much stronger than a forklift bottle.

Yeh gimme a call over the weekend, I've got my daughter through the day on Sat so any other time.

Getting like Elgrand city here lol, 3 Elgrands here at the moment and another was collected by it's owner yesterday, got another coming on Sunday and another coming on Tuesday!