• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 E51 How to change the clock

is it easy though? to change it from the nav system itself? i'm yet to clock 10 posts lol
No, not easy. Need to take out the nav unit from glove compartment, dismantle, remove a battery that permanantly powers the clock, deactivate the geo stationary satellite link, reassemble. Questionable whether worth it.. I like a challenge 😄

is it easy though? to change it from the nav system itself? i'm yet to clock 10 posts lol
Oh and reconnect the battery at exactly the right time during the day. Repeat to adjust time. Think Jason is fitting a switch

Last edited:
I own 2 elgrands, both with navi and the clocks are 8 minutes different. I have no idea how that can be ??

Im in Adelaide, South Australia. During winter we are 30 minutes behind Japan and in Summer, daylight saving, 90 minutes behind.

Im in Adelaide, South Australia. During winter we are 30 minutes behind Japan and in Summer, daylight saving, 90 minutes behind.
G'day! 😄 doesnt matter where you are really, what I was wondering was if they were showing (near) JPN time. The clock has a permanant power supply via it's own small battery and as you know gets updates from a satellite. If the satellite updates are disabled in some way on one of your vans, then the clock battery was dead / disconnected and replaced / reconnected 3 mins later it would be permanently 3 mins different.

G'day! 😄 doesnt matter where you are really, what I was wondering was if they were showing (near) JPN time. The clock has a permanant power supply via it's own small battery and as you know gets updates from a satellite. If the satellite updates are disabled in some way on one of your vans, then the clock battery was dead / disconnected and replaced / reconnected 3 mins later it would be permanently 3 mins different.
And its techie, but if you waited with the little battery disconnected until 30 seconds to midday the next day, and then reconnected, as long as the satellite link remained disabled the clock would set to 12, and continue with your local time.

Oh and reconnect the battery at exactly the right time during the day. Repeat to adjust time. Think Karl is fitting a switch
Hi Dom,
I'm the original poster of the change time method, so if you or anyone else try it and want any pointers or get stuck, just message me with your questions and I'll do my best to help. I'll post again when I fit a switch, I'm planning on doing this when we change back to GMT from BST later this month.
I was also thinking I could possibly do this for anyone coming down to Cornwall on holiday, maybe remove at the start of the weeks holiday and then refit at the end? Or maybe a postal variation of this theme? What do people think?
Jason.

Hi Dom,
I'm the original poster of the change time method, so if you or anyone else try it and want any pointers or get stuck, just message me with your questions and I'll do my best to help. I'll post again when I fit a switch, I'm planning on doing this when we change back to GMT from BST later this month.
I was also thinking I could possibly do this for anyone coming down to Cornwall on holiday, maybe remove at the start of the weeks holiday and then refit at the end? Or maybe a postal variation of this theme? What do people think?
Jason.
All credit to you Jason good work, I think I can prob follow your instructions and pull it off, I've got two E51s of my own to do and just about enough engineering skills. Amazing it should be this complex.
Cheers,
Dom.

All credit to you Jason good work, I think I can prob follow your instructions and pull it off, I've got two E51s of my own to do and just about enough engineering skills. Amazing it should be this complex.
Cheers,
Dom.
Cheers Dom,
Once you get into it, it's quite straightforward, good luck and you know where I am.
Jason

If you have an E51 Elgrand with the built in Sat Nav option, the clock is set by the GPS system in Japan and the clock will show Japanese local time. This is not an easy thing to change, and can be quite involved, but thanks to @Elgrandonaut, a how to guide on setting the time is now available! (Photo for proof)

View attachment 24133

The guide for doing this can be found here --> https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/...local-time-Elgrand-e51-with-navigation.16807/

The other method to change the time is to replace the clock display itself, which you can find a how to guide on again here --> https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/internal-clock-2002-e51-highway-star.622/

This does not affect the non-GPS models as far as I am aware as they have buttons that you can use to change the time. At the end of the day, if there are no buttons on the clock to change Hours/Minutes, then you will need to use the guide above to replace... or just learn to take 9 hours off for UK time.
Hi

Hi Karl, Thanks for your instruction on changing the clock on my Rider,For me it was straight forward I use to work at the Transit factory,stripped down many a dash panel in my time.It took about half hour,the longest bit was the 8 hours waiting for 9 o’clock lol. Cheers Steve

I wonder how accurate these clocks are once they do not have a reference time? If the clock gets regular time updates it does not matter if it loses a minute a day because it will adjust itself. But if it runs for a long time without a time signal will the time drift significantly?

I wonder how accurate these clocks are once they do not have a reference time? If the clock gets regular time updates it does not matter if it loses a minute a day because it will adjust itself. But if it runs for a long time without a time signal will the time drift significantly?
Mine hasn't budged a second, a month on 😊

Hi Karl, Thanks for your instruction on changing the clock on my Rider,For me it was straight forward I use to work at the Transit factory,stripped down many a dash panel in my time.It took about half hour,the longest bit was the 8 hours waiting for 9 o’clock lol. Cheers Steve
Nice one Steve, well done for having a go.

Yes, the difference is disconcerting. I was just used to one hour's difference in NSW Australia, when daylight saving kicked in, so now two hours to adjust to. I couldn't at this stage be bothered to get a replacement or cover clock so I'll just have to keep making the adjustment.

Yes, the difference is disconcerting. I was just used to one hour's difference in NSW Australia, when daylight saving kicked in, so now two hours to adjust to. I couldn't at this stage be bothered to get a replacement or cover clock so I'll just have to keep making the adjustment.
Where we are in UK it works out that the clock is exactly 3 hours behind in winter and four in summer - I might have a go when I work up the courage and have the time not to rush it - but well done Elgrandonaut!

Back