E50 Cone filter and catch can`s

Bobeto

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi there, I just want to sharewith you what I have done this weekend with the old rusty bucket :cool:
Basically fitted a big cone filter, cleaned the MAF sensor as it was really dirty, new Samco inlet hose and a proper PCV filtration to eliminate all the engine/crankcase vapour entering the inlet.
I am using Mann and Hummel Provent 200 but with a twist. I always use it with a second fleebay el-cheapo oil catch can. As the ProVent is a closed PCV filtration system that is designed to drain back all the liquidised oil vapour in the engine crankcase/sump. So instead of this what I do is fit a cheap catch can which purpose is to collect that liquidised vapours. I like that particular design ( see photos) cos it`s bottom is like a bow and has the drain plug on the bottom where I fit a wee valve for ease drain time to time when its full. See the pictures.

Attachments

Nathane69

E50 Owner
Hi there, I just want to sharewith you what I have done this weekend with the old rusty bucket :cool:
Basically fitted a big cone filter, cleaned the MAF sensor as it was really dirty, new Samco inlet hose and a proper PCV filtration to eliminate all the engine/crankcase vapour entering the inlet.
I am using Mann and Hummel Provent 200 but with a twist. I always use it with a second fleebay el-cheapo oil catch can. As the ProVent is a closed PCV filtration system that is designed to drain back all the liquidised oil vapour in the engine crankcase/sump. So instead of this what I do is fit a cheap catch can which purpose is to collect that liquidised vapours. I like that particular design ( see photos) cos it`s bottom is like a bow and has the drain plug on the bottom where I fit a wee valve for ease drain time to time when its full. See the pictures.
Good job matey ,
Good write up and pictures too !
πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Bobeto

E50 Owner
Premium Member
I also changed the oil and the oil filter. The oil filter wasnt that bad to change at all. I have had a lot worse oil filter locations to deal with. I used an oil filter cap tool β„–806. The other thing I am doing different is the oil filter brand. I prefer to use filters made for fleet maintenance. They have a lot better filter media and stronger BPV springs. The filters outside dimensions are almost the same except for the length. They are like 10mm longer than the standard ones.

Attachments

Nathane69

E50 Owner
I also changed the oil and the oil filter. The oil filter wasnt that bad to change at all. I have had a lot worse oil filter locations to deal with. I used an oil filter cap tool β„–806. The other thing I am doing different is the oil filter brand. I prefer to use filters made for fleet maintenance. They have a lot better filter media and stronger BPV springs. The filters outside dimensions are almost the same except for the length. They are like 10mm longer than the standard ones.
Gosh , you've been a busy bunny over the weekend matey .
Good job/photos again Sir πŸ˜€πŸ‘

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I am using Mann and Hummel Provent 200
Nice Job - do you reckon the Provent is worth the extra? I had to blank off the sight tube fittings on my fleabay catch can as it leaked :confused: so might make a change like you've done.

Changing the air filter makes changing the oil filter easier too as you get rid of everything in the way! However I've gone back to the standard bin filter after using a cone for a month or so, as the noise is just too much - unless I can put the cone inside some sort of can, with cold air feed. It does make a difference to how easily it builds boost.

The other thing I am doing different is the oil filter brand. I prefer to use filters made for fleet maintenance.
Fleetguard are very good filters and not much more, if anything, than 'normal' ones :)