• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Common rust problems??

Ian McDonald

Devon/Cornwall
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Elgrand
E51
Region
Devon/Conrwall
Just wanting to know where 51s rust in general ? Thinking of wax oiling in the places before it starts ? Any advice ?

do it they are not undersealed in japan and with the amount of salt counsels throw down you could watch it dissolve before your eyes

Yeah I’m getting my van Tuesday fingers cross is it easy to tell if it’s undersealed? But the wax oil is another thing I can do in the cavities etc

Ok where is that my friend

If you look under the car directly below where the rear cabin filter is You'll find it. Be careful as it's very easy to break the hinges if they've seized up.

There was one area on mine that would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't removed the rear side trim. Its were the fuel tank filler hose runs from the flap to the fuel tank. I don't know if it's a common issue but if left it would rust through to the inner wheel arch. Mud can accumulate behind the metal panel covering the fuel hose.

Cool lads did u undersea or wax oil ?

Cool lads did u undersea or wax oil ?
A good friend of mine restores classic cars and he's not impressed with wax oil. I've used it on several cars in the past and have noticed damp can get trapped behind it. For internal stuff I use a compressor and spray a cheaper form of WD40 first and than back it up with chainsaw oil very sticky stuff. (Don't use old engine oil) combustion chemicals can do more harm than good.

Really 😮ok how u getting chainsaw into the gaps ?

I've not seen any with body work rust but underneath starts to rust pretty quickly and needs to be kept on top of. I'm pretty fastidious with mine and regularly look for any hints of corrosion, kurerust and direct to rust black hammerite spray keep it at bay, liberal regular wd40 in all nooks and crannys and keep everything clean.

I don't know how long it will last in exposed areas, still looking good 6 months on. The classic mini front sub frame nether rusted 👍only the rears.

If the aircon currently works (no leaks in rear pipes) I'd advise undersealing the rear aircon pipes too. I'd also remove the bit of spongey foam that goes between the AC pipes and hinged section.

If the aircon currently works (no leaks in rear pipes) I'd advise undersealing the rear aircon pipes too. I'd also remove the bit of spongey foam that goes between the AC pipes and hinged section.
I noticed a small leak around that area but the tubes look ok no corrosion. Maybe the o rings are weeping were they join the condenser.

I don't know how long it will last in exposed areas, still looking good 6 months on. The classic mini front sub frame nether rusted 👍only the rears.

That is due to the oil the engine/gearbox sprays them with. Mine was so bad the rear subframe did not rust either...

That is due to the oil the engine/gearbox sprays them with. Mine was so bad the rear subframe did not rust either...
A good oil leak works wonders on a classic car but the leak needs to be sustantial enough to hoy oil far enough back

Back