• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Car Security

Lee1964

Active Newbie
Premium Member
North West
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
North West
Just a question. I hearing a lot of motorhomes and car/van conversions getting stolen. What is the Elgrand factory immobiliser rating like? Do many get stolen? What security do you have fitted other than the immobiliser. Cheers for any input.

I am interested in this too.

Do all Elgrands have an immobiliser from the factory?

Would it be worth adding a second immobiliser (cat2)?

Or do you think a stoplock steering wheel lock would be a worthy deterrent?

Thanks peeps 👍

Don't know if they all have it but not seen one without yet. One of our importers will surely know.

I think the standards are pretty good, don't hear about any Elgrands going awol.
However I think that the good old stoplock has got a lot going for it.
1. Pre entry deterant
2. New designs are 'tool required' to remove
3. Cheap
4. Simple
5. Proven

I use mine in the dodgy places and always when stealth camping.
It would also a good visual for the old bill when they come a knocking in the pub car park!
Thread 'F_OFF YOU NO GOOD SCUMBAGS' https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/f_off-you-no-good-scumbags.19487/

I use steering wheel lock just incase but I think the security in these vans is pretty good already. Mines got internal movement CAMERAS ETC which I had no idea it even had that in the first few days I had her until accidently setting the alarm off which was one less upgrade needed :)

Every vehicle made in Europe since around 1998 has had to have chip in key type immobiliser, seems the same in Japan?
Means it would be very difficult for a thief to be able to start the engine.
But still steering / wheel locks will add an extra layer of security making it difficult for them to be able to tow it or load it onto the back of a lorry etc.

A member on here did have his stolen a few years ago but only ever remember hearing of one going this way. I have a crook lock on mine. A determined thief will easily overcome it but I figure it will deter opportunists. And I keep keys in a faraday pouch well away from front door.

EDIT (because I can!) Just checked my Facebook page cuz I remember sharing his post. It was @Parentalnightmare who had Elgrand nicked.

If they want it they will take it , I used to ride a harley and heard of someone having his bike nicked despite having it at the back of the garage with a big chain and padlock on and a vehicle in front of it in the garage and then 2 vehicles on the drive in front of the garage.

It's not really going to be a target for thieves. They aren't worth that much, there is a limited market for them as a whole. Parts would either be hard to sell or we as a club would know if a unknown person started selling cheap parts from stolen vehicle. If someome wants to go for a joyride they would probably steal something fast

It's not really going to be a target for thieves. They aren't worth that much, there is a limited market for them as a whole. Parts would either be hard to sell or we as a club would know if a unknown person started selling cheap parts from stolen vehicle. If someome wants to go for a joyride they would probably steal something fast
Yep, they'll target the white ones :p

Just been looking at a Stoplock for the Elgrand but didn't realise there were various models. Which ones are people using and would you recommend it?

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I have an older one that would pinch and damage the wheel so need to get a good fitting one. I'm on it tomorrow👍

There are all sorts of very inexpensive ways of disabling your car (disabling the engine making it so that nobody could drive it even if they had your key) yourself without spending any more than a couple of £s.

Examples - Make a cut in the easily accessible (under bonnet) positive feed wire to petrol injectors / make a cut in the feed wire to the petrol pump. In these examples you could just fit a female 1/4inch jackplug socket in the wiring break and set it up so the engine won't run unless a male 1/4inch jackplug with shorted terminals is inserted (to electrically bridge the wiring break). I used to do exactly this on older cars (pre-1998) that didn't have chips in the ignition keys. You could even do this on wiring to key engine sensors such as the crank sensor. Thieves might know aftermarket off-the-shelf immobilisers but they could not anticipate such DIY immobilisation methods - which makes simple DIY immobilisers possibly more effective than expensive immobilisers!

But post 1998 cars have chips in the keys making it extremely difficult to start the engine without the key anyway. So if you want added security on top of the already very substantial security you could take it the other way and prevent a thief from being able to steer the car even in the (extremely unlikely) event they managed to get the engine to run without the key, could fit a steering lock and/or wheel lock.

The simplest way of disabling an old petrol car with sparks distributor was to remove the rotor arm from the distributor ;-) The only other ways would be to disrupt the negative/positive to the ignition coil but thieves with a bit of time might check for that... While even if they realised the car had a missing rotor arm they'd need the exact correct rotor arm to get the car running.

Depends on how far you want to take it and how great you think the risks are... Nissan made E51's with keyless entry and keyless ignition for convenience reasons, not quite so convenient when you have to insert a jackplug in a socket, remove steering wheel lock and wheel lock before you can drive away yourself :laughing:

Last edited:
Just been looking at a Stoplock for the Elgrand but didn't realise there were various models. Which ones are people using and would you recommend it?
I've got one of these:-

Can recommend.
Small, cheap, very easy on/off.

Back