• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

CAN YOU ALL PLEASE DELETE YOUR COOKIES

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I've been doing some digging, and it appears there are log in issues due to the cookies stored on your computer. For those who don't know, a cookie retains information about a website (log in details etc). If there is a problem with the cookie, then it causes all sorts of weird shit to happen.

I have been doing some testing on a test forum that I've installed and it appears that after I deleted my cookies, I no longer had a problem. So I tested again and got the same result. This leads me to believe that all these problems we are having with users logging in as each other is due to corrupt cookies.

This may very well be something to do with me removing a service called "cloudflare".

Now, if you don't know how to delete your cookies, please click the link below to learn how to do it as the instruction varies depending what browser you are using to view the internet.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-delete-cookies-in-chrome-firefox-safari-and-ie/

If the browser you are using is not listed in the link above, then just go to google and search "how to delete cookies <insert browser name here>" and you'll find step by step guides on how to do it.

This will affect people using computers (desktop, laptop) and mobile devices (phones, tablets).

If my deduction is correct... then this will stop you from having any further problems logging in as someone else.

An easier way to check, if you don't want to delete your cookies, is to install and use a new browser.

Hoping this works. If not, back to the drawing board.

For the first time ever I was logged in as George36 (or something like that). I will try clearing my cookies and see if anything happens after, this was the first time and as soon as I switched over on to the New Posts page I was back to me. If you hear nothing from us, assume all is good! :)

So assuming I'm NOT having login issues, then I presume there is not need to delete cookies (which is easy enough but inconvenient in respect of 'good' cookies used in other websites).

Please advise @Karl

Yes, if you have not had a problem, there's no need to do it.

But, even if you do, you can select the cookies you're deleting. I got sick of clearing mine, so looked up how to delete site specific cookies.

We are hoping that deleting cookies will prevent failed or erroneous logins...

Like you I have lots of saved sites with active cookies so it's not something I'm keen to do but needs must as I've logged in under other members names recently.

If it is a cookie issue, all will be re written over time anyway and hopefully the problem will disappear for good.

We are trying to exhaust all possible options with this software first before committing club funds and member donations to a new platform...

I can't see how it's a cookie issue - why would I have a cookie on my work PC stored with the login details for user Karl if I've ever physically logged in to the forum as you?

Likewise on my phone for whotsit or little g.

The only way that could happen if the cookies are stored using userid and the ids are constantly being swapped around, and if that was the case then I'd be permanently logged in as that other user rather than being swapped between page refreshes.

I can understand it on your test forums because you're obviously logging in and out as different users for testing purposes.

Have you logged an issue with xenforo or raised it on their support forum? You'd like to think that they would be worried that their software contains glitches like this and offer a solution.

Trying not to be negative but hoping to get to a better idea of a solution. :)

Ignore my question about the xenforo support board, I've found your post and read through the responses - so 3rd party caching or proxy servers seems to be the standard cause response by xenforo developers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My internet browser is set to delete history automatically on exit (just me being cautious with security) but I still had the login as someone else issue. I'll let you know how it goes after your fix because I don't mind deleting all cookies.

If anybody has Norton Internet Security - cookies can be deleted easily by running file clean up.

@freshandminty, it was just another thing to tick off the list. As for trade test forum, there is only ONE user, and it wouldn't let me log in. After I deleted cookies, I could.
I've already asked the question as to how a cookie could do this, but it seems to have worked for me, and I don't know why.

And aside from the post in the xenforo community, I have raised a service ticket with the team away from their forum. This has been much more in depth with me giving the developers access to the forum. They are looking into a solution, but at the moment they've told me it's to do with server level caching (same as in the public thread) and also server problems (same as public thread).

I know the forum can work really well, so I'm inclined to disagree that it's the hosting that's at fault.

Back