• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Buy work bus through my company or personally

Mintcake

London
Reaction score
First Name
Kendal
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
I've put a deposit on an Ne51, arriving 28th Jan so very excited!

I'll be using it for work but also as a weekend camper (non conversion). I'm just trying to work out whether to buy through my limited company or personally.

From my research it seems like buying as a works vehicle is a minefield (with 'benefit in kind', not classing as an expense for tax purposes and other implications).

I'm not sure if an Elgrand could even be categorized a work vehicle, I heard somewhere that it can be dependent on size/ weight and number of seats. The upside would be stumping up for the van through my business, also paying for all fuel, insurance, mot, road tax and repairs.

I am leaning towards buying it personally, meaning paying insurance and mot etc personally, and expensing work mileage to my business, as it seems less complicated and I think still more economical.

Any advise welcome?

tonymorrell

E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Antony
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I've put a deposit on an Ne51, arriving 28th Jan so very excited!

I'll be using it for work but also as a weekend camper (non conversion). I'm just trying to work out whether to buy through my limited company or personally.

From my research it seems like buying as a works vehicle is a minefield (with 'benefit in kind', not classing as an expense for tax purposes and other implications).

I'm not sure if an Elgrand could even be categorized a work vehicle, I heard somewhere that it can be dependent on size/ weight and number of seats. The upside would be stumping up for the van through my business, also paying for all fuel, insurance, mot, road tax and repairs.

I am leaning towards buying it personally, meaning paying insurance and mot etc personally, and expensing work mileage to my business, as it seems less complicated and I think still more economical.

Any advise welcome?
I looked into getting a van / bus on my business to... In the end I gave up on the idea. I think it only becomes beneficial for tax if you get a cab vehicle somthing that can be seen in a commercial light... It didn't help that my accountant is to honest 😂 its almost as though he never wants to save me any money 🙄

Mintcake

London
Reaction score
First Name
Kendal
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
I looked into getting a van / bus on my business to... In the end I gave up on the idea. I think it only becomes beneficial for tax if you get a cab vehicle somthing that can be seen in a commercial light... It didn't help that my accountant is to honest 😂 its almost as though he never wants to save me any money 🙄
Thanks! Good to know, seems to reaffirm what I've been thinking. And sounds like we have the same accountant! :weary_face:

tonymorrell

E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Antony
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Thanks! Good to know, seems to reaffirm what I've been thinking. And sounds like we have the same accountant! :weary_face:
Just give yourself a pay rise instead 😜 I'm sure there was a huge Vat implication to for the company that made no sence to me as it was not a new vehicle.... Its been a few years since I looked into it though so I'm not certain.... Maybe someone else might know

roo32

Premium Member
Reaction score
First Name
roo32
Elgrand
Looking to buy
I do a lot of miles working for my own company; we own our vehicles privately and claim mileage expenses. I work out it covers about 2/3rds of my costs, but I retain the flexibility of being able to use my car as I wish. With a work car I wouldn't be able to use it for travel classed as commuting, or at weekends without attracting tax.

That's as far as I understand it anyway.

With a thirsty bus like an Elgrand you would do well to work out the costs for your annual mileage then talk to your accountant about the most tax efficient way to run that vehicle.

Lacabrera

Premium Member
South West
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South West
I'll be writing my Elgrand purchase into my 2020/2021 accounts. The issue is what co2 emission class does it enter? Based on road tax its taxes on engine size. Any ideas

Breadman23

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South West
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Elgrand
E51
Region
South West