• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Back on the road.

Hoobajoob

Here for life
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
Ex Owner
Region
North East
So I've been without transport since back in February when my water pump let go.( not an Elgrand obviously had I still had my Elgrand the water pump wouldn't have broken) I saved up and got all the parts I needed and fixed and serviced it at the same time. Then my mot ran out before the extension cut off. So put it in for an mot and failed on bushing and the fact the rear brakes did nothing. So, saved up again and did my lower control arm bushings. I should add that everything had seized with rust making it a pig of a job. I had to cut the camber bolt sub assembly with a reciprocating saw. I ordered parts for the rear brakes from all over the world as the lockdown closed all the places i could have got them in england. Drop link bushings turned out to be past it as well so I upgraded the drop links and changed the bushings. Then I had to do the tie rod ends as they had become 1 with years of rust and I would clearly need my alignment doing and I could just see the guy at the garage sucking his teeth saying they're not gonna budge. Even had to change an inner tie rod. So I had to save up for those as well. Once all that was done I finally could take it off the axle stands and get the rear brakes rebuilt.
Before this I wasn't really one for doing mechanical work on my own cars. I once changed the oil of an audi about 20 years ago. I took my time and found guides on the jobs I needed to do. I had to get creative a few times cause of rusted components. Never the less I got it all done and today I took it for an alignment and an mot. I'm told the alignment wasn't that far out which makes me happy as I set them by eye alone and i now have a years MOT woohoo. The 24 year old zombie survival prepper red neck mobile lives again. I'm quite proud of my achievement. Wish I still had my Elgrand though. Haha.

Hoobajoob

Here for life
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
Ex Owner
Region
North East
Great work, especially for a novice with the spanners. Engine rebuild next.
That is a possibility to be honest. I'll have to see how it goes over the next few months. Fingers crossed it doesnt need it but it did over heat and there is the potential of a cracked head. If that is the case then I'm extremely tempted to stick a v8 out of an old lexus in it instead.

Elliematt83

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Elgrand
E50
Region
Yorkshire
Sounds like you had your work cut out good you got the zombie bus back on the road incase of an apocalypse :cool:

Hoobajoob

Here for life
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
Ex Owner
Region
North East
Well of course. Next its clearly time for extended breathers then I should also be ok if a volcano erupts and I need to cross a river. Haha.
Also if any north east members need any bushings changed I have a useful tool for removing them and pressing them back in again.
I dare say with an Elgrand you dont need to remove the steering rack first to get at the bolts.

Gezza

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Good on yer pal, more patience than me.πŸ‘

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Was wondering why it was on axle stands when we drove past to Tesco. And now I know.
Sorry you've had a chew on, but great sense of pride knowing you've fixed it yourself. Well done bud!

Hoobajoob

Here for life
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
Ex Owner
Region
North East
Was wondering why it was on axle stands when we drove past to Tesco. And now I know.
Sorry you've had a chew on, but great sense of pride knowing you've fixed it yourself. Well done bud!
Why thank you. 😁. The neighbor's will all be fed up now as they cant park in front on my driveway anymore. I dont mind if they do as I can always just drive over them πŸ˜†πŸ€£