• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Anyone used Shiply for furniture?

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
East Anglia
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
I've just run a quote on Shiply by posting the eBay auction details and within a minute or so I've got prices back.

Item: Oak dining table and 6 chairs
Distance: 200 miles - 4 hour drive
Price: £106

Can this be accurate?

I have used them before - it will all come down to how popular the route is and therefore how much capacity/competition there is

Used them before to ship 4 x 20" wheels with tyres, can't fault them and cheap as 😎

I've just run a quote on Shiply by posting the eBay auction details and within a minute or so I've got prices back.

Item: Oak dining table and 6 chairs
Distance: 200 miles - 4 hour drive
Price: £106

Can this be accurate?
Are you thinking that is too expensive or too cheap?

Are you thinking that is too expensive or too cheap?
Seems too cheap.
Got another quote for an oak dresser which will weigh a ton for £80 for 120 miles.
I couldn't hire a van for these prices.

As previously said, depends how busy the route is. They delivered my wheels 300miles, they were in their storage for 3 days but think it was less than £60

Have used them quite a few times including having my Elgrand trailered from Newcastle docks to Taunton in Somerset when I first imported it at a cost of just over £300 which is about 340 miles and about 6 hours travel time.
I worked out the cost of fuel and hiring a trailer plus the travel time and it was a no brainer.
Had no problems and all went very smoothly.
I did not pick the cheapest quote but the one I picked was the best combination of price and reviews.
Have also had 2 ex display kitchens including granite worktops etc and a very large solid stone bath plus 3 4 seater sofas delivered all with no problems and good service at different times, all for less than it would have cost me in hiring a van and fuel plus the time and possibly having to pay someone to help with loading.
What I did do was make certain that the people I was buying from packed everything well.

Agree on combination of price and reviews - used them about 4 or 5 times and only had one muppet who was supposed to deliver a bike from Scotland and worked out at the last moment that the Isle of Bute is in fact an island and would cost him money to get there....

I have used Shipley in the past to courier some wheels that I sold, can't remember the price but it was very reasonable. I recently eBay'd a sofa and an armchair the buyer used Proovia as he had used them in the past, not sure how good they are but maybe get a quote from them just to compare the prices.

It did take a couple of days to get delivered as I believe the items get picked up, taken to a warehouse then loaded up and shipped out.

It transpires the seller has put the dining table and chairs into storage while they have some house renovations done and were hoping no one wants to buy them. Await response next week after they have looked at them again. Also, no response on the dresser so probably a dead duck as well. I don't need a courier now.

Rather annoying is that I bought a pair of antique chairs and went to collect them this afternoon. When I got there I was told the price was for one chair in a not very friendly manner. Slightly embarrassed and wondering how I had got it wrong I looked at the listing on my phone and the description doesn't mention the price is for a single chair and states chairs along with the pictures of the 2 chairs. They didn't offer an apology about the confusion nor offer negotiate purchase of the other chair as I had already said I didnt want to pay twice the price and so I left without any chairs.

I'm sick of the whole idea of buying furniture now, new sofas might be delivered by Xmas or in 24 weeks time, who wants to wait nearly 6 months for a sofa FGS. Going second hand and the vendors don't seem to want to actually part with the items or at least not at the advertised price.

God I hate people 😟

I've secured the dresser and tried booking a courier with good feedback. The problem with Shiply is the all send you messages saying not to accept the quote until its arranged but you can't share the vendors contact details. The first one I tried booking was useless as they offered the only day I said the vendor couldn't do. Then they said they might be able to do Sunday and waited until yesterday to cancel. I booked another one and they are due to collect on Monday and deliver on Tuesday so hopefully that should go as planned.

I've also been looking for a sofa and thats been a nightmare, some suggested 14, 16 and even 24 weeks for delivery. I've been to DFS this afternoon and bought demonstration stock. I got a takeaway on the way home and they rang to say they are going to deliver on Tuesday just at the moment I'd sat down to eat it, very quick. They charge £69 but it saves me multiple trips and struggling with it. The chair and footstool will come later as they are making those but charging me the lower price as someone had sold them and not taken the price off.

I was pissed off with the whole furniture thing but the other courier turned out easy to book and the DFS went very well this afternoon, lets hope the woman decides she wants to part with the dining table. I wasn't anticipating it happening so quickly so I haven't decorated the room yet, job for tomorrow!

They're no different than any other mover/shipper. I'd get a few estimates before making a decision since prices can vary. Personally, I've used 3 Movers to ship furniture in the past, as well as for full fledged moving and they've been pretty affordable in my experience.

This was was posted 18months ago I think the table move has been accomplished.
😆👍

Always handy to have alternatives👍
Yes, its been in service for lunch and dinner for quite a while now :yum
Spot the Elgrand..
AFE1645F-64B9-4792-8FAF-BCB712D3A402_1_102_o.jpeg

Back