• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

A need to rant(non Elgrand related)

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
It is unfortunate for my mother in law that her 2nd cupra has been set on fire.
Both times the fire has been from what appears to be on top of the front drivers side wheel.
This time tho it was caught and extinguished before taking up the whole car as it did last time.
Damage is still extensive enough to write it off insurance wise but i would like to try to repair it for her.
The firemen have put it down to a electrical fault but i dissagree as her car had'nt been used for over 7hrs so engine and oils etc were cold and theres nothing where it started to that could cause a fire.
Does anyone know if the mk1 seat leon cupra have any known issues like this that could explain it as i cant find anything online to compare how it could start from top of a wheel.
At the moment the hardest part to repair will be the wiring loom under the scuttle panel. will need
new wing
bumper
wheel arch liner
indicator
windscreen
scuttle panel
tyre(melted but still inflated) possibly new alloy wheel.
May be some other parts but need to wait for police to look it over before touching it.
My mother in law is in her mid 60's and bothers no one, never complains or moans at anyone and now feels like she scared to even bother getting another car.
Last time this happened was just over a yr ago and then it was the same starting point and even worse is the fact that its parked on the drive 3ft away from the house.
If i get to catch the fecker whos doing this to her i can guarantee that it will be me getting locked up as police dont do anything.

RobP

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Elgrand
E50
Region
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear this sad news Dave and hope your mother in law isn't too distressed by it all. It does sound incredibly dodgey that the same thing should happen twice! Hope you get some answers as to what is causing this whether It be malicious or not. Good luck with the repair!

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
What Cupra is it @davegrand? Ibiza, Leon? I'll do some digging around see if I can find any common faults or any previous recorded history of electrical fires.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Seems to spaced out to be a targetted attack. Has there been any pattern of vehicle arson in the area at all other than your mother-in-law's car?

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Sorry to say it but it does sound a little suspicious, hope your mother-in-law is okay

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Just re-read and it does state Mk1 Leon Cupra.
I've done a quick search on Google, and the only thing I have found relating to Leon's and fires was a Turbo that got too hot and ignited the oil, that was back in 2008.

There is nothing about electrical fires reported.

My old man had one for a while, and I've had a Mk1 Leon Cupra too and had no such issues with them.

Sounds too coincidental to have 2 set fire in the same place with no other recorded incidents of it... but at the same time, doesn't follow any form of pattern for arson.

Sorry to hear that this has happened, must be horrible for your mother in law, and the rest of the family picking up the pieces. Hope you manage to get everything you need and fix it, and hope that this is just down to a nasty coincidence and not anything malicious.

Kermit

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Roberta
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
thank you for the kind responses.
still a no show from police as we expected.
mother in law is still very upset and hasnt slept since saturdays events.
i had to call the insurance company for her today as she gets upset thinking about it.

thankyou for the news link i will read through it shortly and make enquiries as to the circumstances of how they were started if at all possible.

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
fuming with the police tonight.
after not coming out to take any details or look at damage and with no investigation i rang them today to find out when they were coming only to be told they had closed the case as they dont deem it to be malicious damage/arson.
After a good rant to the officer on the phone i have had it reopened after a few choice words with them and demanded a investigation and visit from both a officer and csi to be made.
They have assured me that it is now a live case and will be pursued as such and will have someone out to see it in the next few days.
Screenshot_20190212-211523.jpg

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
And still police havent been to see her.
they must know its not a isolated case by now.

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
So sad, they're obviously blind to the fact its happening a lot in a small'ish area

Ian H

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
And still police havent been to see her.
they must know its not a isolated case by now.
That sucks. Have you confronted them again about it?

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
have rung them twice and had no joy. they are a useless.