• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

2nd Job - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegrand

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
look at it more logistically karl.
Elgrand would stop you making any money doing deliveries but a cheap ass £400 banger with a poxy 1ltr engine would work easily for it.
then when youve made enough and no longer need a cheap car you still got it to sell.
park Elgrand up for a few month and i bet with your new shitty daily delivery driver banger using it for your daily job too your gonna save the first £50 a week in fuel.
at £50 a wk theres £200 a month so now you only need to find hours to make up £400 a month.
less hours means your day job is less impacted on as you could do less hours with 2nd job.
Not drinking or smoking (or less of them) if you do have a smoke or drink cutting back on that is easily another £30-50 a week.
add it all up and now your looking at only £200 a month to find.
As you say its working smarter not harder and saving what you pay out is the easiest place to start as you can control that from day 1.
Good luck mate hope you can get something sorted to help you in times of need pal.

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
look at it more logistically karl.
Elgrand would stop you making any money doing deliveries but a cheap ass £400 banger with a poxy 1ltr engine would work easily for it.
then when youve made enough and no longer need a cheap car you still got it to sell.
park Elgrand up for a few month and i bet with your new shitty daily delivery driver banger using it for your daily job too your gonna save the first £50 a week in fuel.
at £50 a wk theres £200 a month so now you only need to find hours to make up £400 a month.
less hours means your day job is less impacted on as you could do less hours with 2nd job.
Not drinking or smoking (or less of them) if you do have a smoke or drink cutting back on that is easily another £30-50 a week.
add it all up and now your looking at only £200 a month to find.
As you say its working smarter not harder and saving what you pay out is the easiest place to start as you can control that from day 1.
Good luck mate hope you can get something sorted to help you in times of need pal.
Very good advice :)

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
@davegrand, all excellent advice.
The problem with getting a shitter, is I would need at least some capital to get it off the ground. Buying a £400-£500 shitter is £400-£500 I don't have. Plus then it's getting it taxed, swapping insurance over, and leaving my Elgrand uninsured, parked on the road... not a chance. I don't even think that's legal any more, I'm sure if it's on the road it HAS to be insured?!

I have nowhere to store it either, unless I paid for storage, which would negate the use of a banger.

As for cutting back... we've already stripped back on alcohol as we are on a diet, only drinking certain weekends (once a month), so that saving is already in place... and not drinking that other weekend would save the cost of 2 bottles of cheap wine... maybe £10 at most.

I vape, rather than smoke, but I make my own liquid, which costs me pittence (£25 a month I'd say)... but with stress levels up, cutting that down is going to make me ratty and not save me enough to really make a dent.

@Pippa came home last night and asked where I got the £600 figure from, so I went through it with her... and when I went through it, it sounded wrong... and she pointed out that I've doubled the gap and created more of a problem than necessary. I only need to find £300 a month minimum, £360 a month preferred. So I've already covered half of the problem just by talking about it (they do say a problem shared is a problem halved... in this case, literally)..

So, to go back to the beginning... I need to work 14 hours a week at minimum wage, through the books... that's manageable for any part time min wage job. So if I can get something that pays a little more than min wage, I'll be sorted.

If the car valeting/cleaning/whateveryouwanttocallit takes off... then that's only dozen or so cars a month needed to be able to earn that extra cash. So overall in a much better position than I was this time yesterday, but still in need of the extra cash.

All of your advice so far have been excellent and really appreciated. I will be keeping away from delivery work, purely for the cost of running the Elgrand, plus I know I'm definitely not covered for business usage. So that would be an increase to insurance premium, plus getting 14mpg door to door around the town... and also slowly killing the Elgrand... no chance.

Even if I get a part time cleaning job, it's only got to see me through 6 months until I'm square and sorted... so really, anything I can get now should see me through without killing me.

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Peter
car valeting/detailing place by me charges £35 for a maintenance wash (2 hrs)
if you can do 1 car a day in the evenings for say £30 thats £150 extra a week, can always ask around a few car showrooms and 2nd hand sales if they are willing to let you wash a couple vehicles in a session.

other options would be a takeaway delivery driver (get a clio diesel from about £300, £30 tax, 64mpg), run it until it fails, shop attendant, service station attendant or bar work.

You say you work in spreadsheets and i remeber somewhwere its accounting?...how about offering advice, instructions or accounting work for any friends or local self emplyed builders, plumbers etc

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Peter
buy your self a load of cheap, replica, aftershaves and be like one of those blokes that sit in male restrooms waiting for pissheads to come in for a £1 smelly spruce up? .....:laughing:

delivery driver aside then due to capital startup and seeing as kumo is spotless (theres some advertising there for free) how about going round a few dealers and garages see if they have any openings for any odd job men, cleaning, supervised test drives. etc

with kumo being your pride n joy, i'm sure someone will see having you on board as an advantage being a person who takes pride in his vehicle.

MALAKI

Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
RICHARD
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
My stepson works for Delivero all you need is a pushbike or twist and go. Pick your own days and hours even gets free food. Can easily earn £30 to £40 an evening.

Ruzz1

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
E-Bucks
First Name
Russell
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
I was out of work several years back when the farm I was working on got sold, I went to work for my brother he has a taxi firm in Ayrshire £100 a shift plus your tips £30 to £70 depending on what shift almost stayed, but renting a house fuck that you get a free house when you work on a farm I haven't paid rent or council tax since I left home at 18 52 now.,. ,.,anyway I digress good luck with wot even you do

Snoopy11

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
My stepson works for Delivero all you need is a pushbike or twist and go. Pick your own days and hours even gets free food. Can easily earn £30 to £40 an evening.
Karl On a push bike 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ThreeG

Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Mat
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
Midlands
Something else worth doing, but is not all that regular (but adds up!). Is buy purchases through a site like topcashback. I use these for utilities like broadband etc, insurances (as long as the figures stack in favour) gifts and other purchases, as long as you remember to check on the app before you buy something.

Ive earnt just over 1k from topcashback, thats over almost 2 years. All adds up though!

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
This is all a moot point as I have just found out.
Any money I make through official channels is going to create more of a defecit... so I'm up against an endless cycle of shit.
Basically... unless I make the money unofficially... and don't pay tax, therefore pissing off Mr Tax Man and potentially getting fucked for Tax Fraud... then there is no fucking point.

I'll close this thread as all the advice has been taken on board and there isn't really much more to add.

I'm at a complete and total loss still, but that's a matter for elsewhere, not in the club. Thanks for all the help guys... but I'm going to have to find alternative solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.