• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

2nd Job - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Ive spoke to you before @Karl about how i do it, Mine is a chinese that pays cash each night, had my finger in there for quite a number of years now and drop in more when im saving for something and less when im not, although i use a 1ltr aygo and not the bus usually (do have to use it occasionally if wife has car and you see tips fly away from you when you pull up in a camper and they realise you have two cars :rolleyes:. Currently 2 nights a week sees me with about £80 a week. At times ive been there 5 nights and taken £200 a week. Mine you get paid by the delivery so it depends on what night (weekends busier obviously) and time of year (hot summer nights alot quieter than cold wet ones)
Will look into this as well mate... but @Pippa uses the Megane for work and she works shifts. 3 weeks out of 4 she doesn't get home until after 7.30pm. So by that time, for me to go out, I'll only be doing a couple of hours without impacting my performance in my main job.

Working with numbers and spreadsheets all day requires massive amounts of attention, and I can't do that half asleep, so need to ensure my sleep routine is not disturbed as much as possible.

If I could viably deliver with the Elgrand, I would... but a non-LPG converted 3.5 V6 2 tonne shed on wheels is not going to be economical to deliver. And I have fuck all capital to go and bu/tax/insure a second vehicle for a delivery job for 6 months.

Kermit

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Roberta
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
I think the valeting idea is a good one. You obviously know what you are doing. If I were you I'd get some nice looking flyers printed off and I'd pop to the areas with the 'serious' money and stick a leaflet through every door.
I remember watching an episode of Rich House Poor House and whilst they were staying at the 'Rich House' the bloke came to clean the cars on the driveway and I can't remember now exactly what he charged but I remember my eyeballs popped out, these 'Rich' people had their cars cleaned every week so would be a nice little earner. Get a few of these and you're laughing.

Also when I was an Estate Agent there was a lad who came to the office to clean the cars in our car-park, it was only a basic wash for a fiver or something but this was years ago so I assume prices would be more now and if you can get a few people in the same place then no fuel fees going here there and everywhere so again try handing in your flyers to offices.

Saw this too, some people will even clean the driveway! I mean what's that take? It's only a jetwash.
https://www.valetsonyourdrive.com/car-valeting/

Good luck.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Problem is, I'm not a business. I have a full time job, so I have to try and plan things of an evening. A proper job, on my own, will take 3-4 hours, so I'd be looking at one off's. Saying that... if the car cleaning malarkey takes off, and I end up with enough money to re-invest in the venture, then it is 100% something I would take on full time. At that point, I'd take all of your advice above @Kermit.

For now I am using a bit of word of mouth. Got some friends in the local area passing the message around for me. If by next week I've not heard anything, I'll get some little business cards or flyers made up and see if I can distribute them to some local housing estates.

I'd like to go for the more expensive looking cars, but I don't have any form of liability insurance, so don't want to be cleaning someone's brand new 19 plate Mercedes because knowing my luck, it'll already have a scratch and they'll blame it on me.

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Problem is, I'm not a business. I have a full time job, so I have to try and plan things of an evening. A proper job, on my own, will take 3-4 hours, so I'd be looking at one off's. Saying that... if the car cleaning malarkey takes off, and I end up with enough money to re-invest in the venture, then it is 100% something I would take on full time. At that point, I'd take all of your advice above @Kermit.

For now I am using a bit of word of mouth. Got some friends in the local area passing the message around for me. If by next week I've not heard anything, I'll get some little business cards or flyers made up and see if I can distribute them to some local housing estates.

I'd like to go for the more expensive looking cars, but I don't have any form of liability insurance, so don't want to be cleaning someone's brand new 19 plate Mercedes because knowing my luck, it'll already have a scratch and they'll blame it on me.
Just make sure you do some due diligence on a vehicle beforehand and take pictures of anything as you see it before you start cleaning it or a quick walk around with a video running, pointing out any concerns with the owner still present and if you comment throughout the video, you have yourself some cover... just in case :)

Pippa

The Boss's Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Pippa
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
On the leaflet you should have before and after pictures on the leaflet of the Elgrand and maybe the Megane.. Non edited obviously lmao xxxxxx

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Also, I know they can cost a bit new, so look out for a secondhand 'popup gazebo' if you haven't already got one already.

If you have the space to use it, it will help you clean a car before the longer Summer days set in and keep most of the unexpected weather off it to enable you to finish the job... and get paid.

Just trying to think of things but I'm sure you've got it covered already :)

Ian H

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Ian
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
When I needed extra I did some trading on ebay. It was model railway stuff that sold cheap on German ebay, but was in demand over here. So basically I spent a few hours a week on the computer, and a few more collecting stuff from the post office, repacking it and sending it out again. It was only small time but I was making a profit of about £200 a month, on a turnover of £400, and almost all done indoors from home. If you have some knowledge of where you can get something cheap on a fairly regular basis it could work for you.

nobby62

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
robert
buying and selling is the best way to make money...in fact it’s limitless. Swapping hours for money can be ok if you have special skills or knowledge, but you can only work so many hours...

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Years ago when I was in a similar situation, I took an evening job cleaning at the local hospital. I was assigned to the gynaecology department.
He retired from that position years ago but still pops back every now and again, as he likes to ‘keep his hand in’... budum tsh

Snoopy11

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
assuming prosituting yourself isn’t a viable option or your aim isn’t good enough for a hit man I think the valeting idea is good.
Rather than cleaning run of the mill euro boxes aim for sports and classics.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Peter
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
I wondered if website design could be a possibility. It's more a long term thing, than one that would show immediate returns. When I was looking to get a de-cat done it amazed me how many local welders didn't have a website. The one possible I found turned out to be a guy in hospital who couldn't help at all. My thoughts were to track down tradesman who don't have a website and offer to make them one for nothing. They would have to pay minimal costs for a name and hosting, but the website would be free. If they find that the website is attracting business, you then charge for updating or adding the necessary facilities to carry out commercial transactions on-line. Eventually with a portfolio of websites behind you, it may be possible to get consultancy work for an existing website design company. Just a thought, better than male modelling or dog walking. Good luck. 😊 PS I agree with the others that car valeting (detailing?) Is probably your best option. Albeit hardworking and a bit weather dependant.

Mark (Madfish)

Administrator & Club Rep NE
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Buy a real cheap Elgrand. fill it full of body kits and goodies and ship it over.
Sell the body kits and strip the Elgrand.
If I had a spare few grand sitting around this is something I would do...

Chris T

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
E-Bucks
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Buy a real cheap Elgrand. fill it full of body kits and goodies and ship it over.
Sell the body kits and strip the Elgrand.
Don't bother with the Elgrand, get a container and fill it with all the bits we wish we could get over here, body kits, spoilers, seat covers, carpet sets, step plates and easily double your money.

Though you'd need about 10k investment to start 😁

Andys

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
E-Bucks
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
Just a note of caution.............make sure that whatever you do, if it involves using a vehicle ensure that it is covered by business insurance. Many policies do not automatically cover you for business use (travel to and from place of work is often covered but IS NOT business use). I would guess that the last thing that you need at the moment is being busted for no insurance! Around our way takeaway delivery drivers are often stopped by the Police to ensure that they are either driving a company vehicle with suitable insurance or have business use cover if using their own vehicle.

George322

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
George
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
If the idea of teaching appeals to you ....Take a (short) course on TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and offer your services to a local college or better still do it privately.

You should do quite well in Hartlepool as very few of the locals speak much proper English like , yernowarrameanlike?:)
Seriously though, it is a good little earner and you can do it to suit whatever times you have available.

Then there's my old fallback job - window cleaning. I've done that to tide me over at least four times in my life. My son-in-law does it full-time and earns £450 a week working three and a half to four days a week. Not good if your back's bad though.

I know of someone who earns decent money dog walking and pet sitting. OK if you can mind someone's dog(s) at your house for a week or a weekend.

There's a gap in the market at the moment for pet couriers. One I know earns £300+ over a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.