• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

2nd Job - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Now then guys, I'm not going into specifics here, but my situation has changed somewhat, and I need a cash injection of nearly £600 a month.
The only viable option for this is to get a 2nd job and work in the evenings.

I am looking for advice on what sort of jobs to look for, so I'll put the details of what I have worked out below.

If I get a minimum wage job, cash in hand, then I'd need to do 17 hours per week.
If I get a minimum wage job, through the books (and taxed), then I'd need to do 24 hours a week.
If I can get a higher wage per hour job, through the books, then obviously the hours will be dependant.

I am not stupid, I've got a brain and a head on my shoulders. I know that the best thing to do here is to work SMARTER, not HARDER, and therefore the BEST option of the above is to get a higher paying job, through the books so I don't piss off Mr Taxman and land in shit.

So what options should I be looking at. I have no official qualifications really... but as I said, I'm not stupid... so what sort of evening work could I undertake that isn't going to kill me off, and will help me along the way?

I have seen positions available for part time tutoring... which pays £20-£40 an hour (I guess rate depends on my own education level, and the level at which I am tutoring). This sounds like a great option as I do love to help others, and being a teacher was something I'd always wanted to do. You know, helping the next generation to be the best they can be... I'll look into that tonight.

But, has anyone else got any ideas of things I can look into?

I'm trying to keep away from manual labour... I have back problems and a manual labour job will cripple me. Plus I cannot be too tired to do my main job as there are current pipelines open for me to earn more money if I keep improving (which will offset the requirement for the cash injection).

What smart ways can you think of to help me earn £600 a month, on the books, without overtaking my life and/or breaking me physically.

Delivery work is easy work, but doing that in a VQ35 powered Elgrand is going to cost me more to do than I'd earn.

Ideas on a post card :)

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
And before anyone asks... I have already considered wearing a speed camera costume, as I know that'll get me £600 an hour in the right location. But I'm not sure PC Plod would pay me out for it :joy:

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Haha - Now that's a job I can get down with... but I'd rather not play the wrong side of the law. I want weekends with my kids to be at home, not a visiting room :joy:

Hoobajoob

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Off the top of my head, night attendant at a 24hr petrol station, pimp, rent boy or you could do car valeting. You have experience of shiny cars.

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Off the top of my head, night attendant at a 24hr petrol station, pimp, rent boy or you could do car valeting. You have experience of shiny cars.
I'd definitely pay @Karl to clean my car (but the additional £150 (its probably more than that too) in round trip petrol costs is holding me back sadly)

Chris T

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
E-Bucks
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
The car valeting sounds like a good idea, you probably have everything you need to start off, you have experience of making your own car compete in shows, it's decent money and can be done when it suits you

RobP

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
E-Bucks
First Name
Rob
Elgrand
E50
Region
Yorkshire
Tricky one that dude! Finding extra work to fit around current job that doesn't knacker you.
The obvious part time jobs.
Bar work.
Delivery driver (Not Elgrand)
Taxi driver (Not Elgrand again)
Security work.
Call centre.
Post office
Supermarkets
Local shop stores

Valeting/detailing is a good idea for you but you'd struggle with daylight hours over winter.

Something computer related as you seem to know what you're doing there.

Tuition etc I would imagine you'd need some sort of paperwork/certificate to say you can do it. But maybe not depending what you would teach.

In all honesty I'd be looking at changing my main job if that was option, even if you'd need to do some extra curricula training in the meantime to make it possible, rather than killing yourself doing two jobs

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I am seriously looking at the car cleaning/valeting thing. Obviously if this was the route, I'd offer at least some discount to EOC members, or at least do more for the money... but I need to hit my £600 a month.

@RobP - changing main job is not an option. There is nothing I can move into full time wise that will pay more than I am on now unless I got a degree or other professional vocational qualification. And they take time. I need to start earning this money now.

Overall, it's short term, 6 months cover is all I need so don't need to look into long term solutions.

Doing some digging around on the car cleaning side, looking into getting enough supplies to be able to offer a decent service, and working on pricing etc.

As @Mark (Madfish) has said to me, I need to offer more than you get at an Albanian car scratch... but I cannot offer myself as a detailer as I don't have the experience, tools or insurance cover to compete with the professionals.

It just needs to be a decent car cleaning service that people can use.

I reckon I can offer a decent service, that will see me a fair payment within 3-4 hours. Even with a car that's pitted and Elgrand sized.

nobby62

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
robert
Become a drug lord.

Work from home, great money, drive a range rover and you get to wear an 80s shellsuit...
Actually this is not a bad suggestion, especially in todays Britain. You will initially need to be a bit tough and ruthless to deal with the existing drug dealers in your area (and you may actually get shot) but once you have sorted them out you will make loads of cash, you wont get any trouble from the police unless you drive about in an uninsured car, thus attracting unwanted attention. Then when you have saved enough cash you can sink it into a legitimate business like a barbers shop or a café, sit back, pay a couple of locals minimum wage to run it for you. At the same time you can help society by setting a great example to all the youngsters in the area that crime really doesn't pay.... and all right under the noses of the local authorities..... Sounds ridiculous doesn't it

jason pullin

Club Rep - Midlands
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
jason
Elgrand
E50
Region
Midlands
Ive spoke to you before @Karl about how i do it, Mine is a chinese that pays cash each night, had my finger in there for quite a number of years now and drop in more when im saving for something and less when im not, although i use a 1ltr aygo and not the bus usually (do have to use it occasionally if wife has car and you see tips fly away from you when you pull up in a camper and they realise you have two cars :rolleyes:. Currently 2 nights a week sees me with about £80 a week. At times ive been there 5 nights and taken £200 a week. Mine you get paid by the delivery so it depends on what night (weekends busier obviously) and time of year (hot summer nights alot quieter than cold wet ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.