You, your car, the club and the law.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
After a conversation that took part on the Facebook group tonight, I thought it prudent to post about this.

If you are planning on doing a modification to your car that you KNOW is against the law, then you are not welcome in this club. We don't have many rules, but this is a biggie. There are too many people who will quite happily brush something under the carpet and think "I won't get caught" without thinking about WHY something is against the law.

Believe it or not, no matter how absurd a law is, it is there for a reason, to protect you and more importantly others.

If you are planning a modification and you don't know the legality of it, then please ask. Someone else might know the answer. Better still, you can contact your local police station and ask them for advice.

Car clubs in general have a bad reputation due to the small minority who show a complete disregard not only for the law, but for other road users. This will NOT be tolerated here. If you want to break the law, then I am not here to stop you. I will not report you (unless you've done something that deserves it, such as drink/drug driving or worse). But you will not do it with our support.

You will be issued with a warning to remove the illegal modification, and if you chose to ignore it, you will be given a non-negotiable lifetime ban. Yes it is your car, yes you can do what you want with it, but not here.

My aim with regards to this club is to create a friendly, welcoming, helpful, law abiding community where owners can come and make friends, get help with the Elgrand related issues and generally have fun. I do not want people coming here and seeing other members breaking the law and gloating about it.

Keep it legal, keep it safe, and drive happy. :boss:

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yes. A headlight is designed for use with either Halogen, Xenon or LED bulbs. If you put a different type of bulb in to the manufacturer standard, then you will change the distribution of light, thus making it illegal.

Sidelights, rear lights, reversing lights, indicators etc are all OK I believe, it's just the main headlights that are affected by this.

davegrand

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Does anyone know the legality of putting a laser fog light on the car?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm guessing they are not as they will have to be positioned at a certain angle to stop them hitting following drivers in the eyes. As there is no info on the angle that these light are to be set at (lighting regs) then I guess not. Just imagine a car in front going over the crest of a hill and the laser hitting you in the eye ball. If the angle is too great ie pointing down too much then it will be pretty useless as well

davegrand

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
They sell laser fog lights so I would imagine that they would be ok as they are a safety light device.
I'll see what the stance on them are?

davegrand

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
As far as I can find there should be no problem with these they are something that audi has introduced already in the American market and has been passed for use in all States and that would usually mean that they will be fine in other countries too as they will most likely become a feature on audis over here as well.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The rear cats are only there for cold starting. The emissions will not be a problem with them removed.

To be within MOT spec, if they were fitted from factory, then they should still be there, which is why people go down the de-core route rather than removal. This leaves the cat housing in place, although there is nothing inside them. You can of course opt to remove all four cats and replace them all with two better specced, more modern, high flow cats. This would resolve all the problems.

Travellingman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
A lot of whats legal in America wont be legal in England , they fit spikes , horns and all sorts of attachments on their cars which are illegal here , I was once told that a Towbar for my Mondeo made it "modified" , I changed Insurer , who had no issue with it ? .even modified Headlamp bulbs might give your Insurer the opportunity to duck out of a claim if undeclared .

Travellingman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Is it ok to be extremely good looking to a point where it may distract other motorists from concentrating on the road?
it is ok , I myself have used my rugged good looks and smooth charm to escape many a sticky situation , and found merely by giving a donation to the Police and their [ sit on a motorway bridge fund ] and the acceptance that I must bear an uncanny resemblance to Stirling Moss [as they ask me if I am the great man] that I can go on my way

Seven

The Engineer
Staff member
E50 Owner
As far as cops are concerned I just twiddle my hair a little bit and summon it's magical powers. Cops behind thinking of other things like burnouts and rev-bombing, eventually forgetting why they're talking to this metalhead that's playing with his almighty mane and let me get on my way.

Steviejay

Premium Member
E51 Owner
As far as cops are concerned I just twiddle my hair a little bit and summon it's magical powers. Cops behind thinking of other things like burnouts and rev-bombing, eventually forgetting why they're talking to this metalhead that's playing with his almighty mane and let me get on my way.

Haha what a fucking image that was!!!

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
So all you English folk that have fitted tow bars and able to tow "illegally" can bugger off, and us Aussies can have the place to ourselves . I had a tyre fitter the other week try to tell me that fitting a 225/65R17 was illegal, mabe it is and maybe it isnt, but plod wont give a shit.

Travellingman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So all you English folk that have fitted tow bars and able to tow "illegally" can bugger off, and us Aussies can have the place to ourselves . I had a tyre fitter the other week try to tell me that fitting a 225/65R17 was illegal, mabe it is and maybe it isnt, but plod wont give a shit.
Your cops have got better stuff to do i expect like chasing criminals , over here all motorists are seen as cash cows , and chasing a car with wide wheels is easier for them than trying to tick a box saying old ladies mugger caught , also insurance companies will wriggle out of a claim at any excuse ,