E50 What SPEC of Elgrand Do I Have

jamesreilly273

E50 Owner
Hi Everyone

I'm sat down with the V5 in front of me trying to find parts for the van. The VIN is NOT helping me.

I have a 01/07/1998 E50 Auto Diesel AVC5U-011607

What Engine Do I have, I know it's a 3.2 does it come as a D or TD as standard

What I am trying to do is arrange to have many of the parts replaced. The garage has said if I buy it they will fit it.

Front Brake Pads have been done
I'm told i don't need Brake Discs. BUT to be honest when I put my foot down to stop i get the thump thump thump noise before it actually stops. Sounds like the brakes are just floating around down there.

So my next job is to replace front and back suspension. I want to do them as two separate jobs. Front First then Rear.

When I replace the Front Suspension i also want to upgrade the Rubbers, I do believe that much of the car is STOCK from 1998.

When doing the Rear I am wanting to replace the broken Rear Nearside Panhard, am I better of replacing BOTH sides when I do the suspension.

Is there a recommended seller that people use when buying and replacing suspension for the E50 or is it all second hand?

I am NOT Mechanically Minded. I will be paying a garage to do all the work, all they have said is if i buy it they will fit it.

Thanks in advance

James

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
You've got the pre facelift E50. Not sure if the 3.2 is turbo diesel or not I'm afraid. Most mechanical non engine parts are the same no matter what engine you have. I.e brakes, suspension, bushes etc I think will be the same across all E50's. As above Brian at BMR is great for parts and really knows his stuff. If in doubt give him a ring and he'll sort you out with what you need.
I'm the same as you buy the parts and get the garage to do the major work.
Also www.autojapspares.com/index.php are quite handy for any mechanical bits Brian doesn't have.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi Everyone

I'm sat down with the V5 in front of me trying to find parts for the van. The VIN is NOT helping me.

I have a 01/07/1998 E50 Auto Diesel AVC5U-011607

What Engine Do I have, I know it's a 3.2 does it come as a D or TD as standard

What I am trying to do is arrange to have many of the parts replaced. The garage has said if I buy it they will fit it.

Front Brake Pads have been done
I'm told i don't need Brake Discs. BUT to be honest when I put my foot down to stop i get the thump thump thump noise before it actually stops. Sounds like the brakes are just floating around down there.

So my next job is to replace front and back suspension. I want to do them as two separate jobs. Front First then Rear.

When I replace the Front Suspension i also want to upgrade the Rubbers, I do believe that much of the car is STOCK from 1998.

When doing the Rear I am wanting to replace the broken Rear Nearside Panhard, am I better of replacing BOTH sides when I do the suspension.

Is there a recommended seller that people use when buying and replacing suspension for the E50 or is it all second hand?

I am NOT Mechanically Minded. I will be paying a garage to do all the work, all they have said is if i buy it they will fit it.

Thanks in advance

James
If your Elgrand is a 3.2 diesel, then the VIN should start with either AVE50 if 2wd or start with AVWE50 if 4wd.

People have reported some negative feedback with polybushes on the Elgrand - I've only gone for standard rubber bushes with the 50 profile tyres I have, as I didn't want to chance it.

The panhard rod is only linked to the axle on the nearside (3 bushes tho!), with the other end mounted to the body centrally - obscuring the axle fill plug lol.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
You've got the pre facelift E50. Not sure if the 3.2 is turbo diesel or not I'm afraid. Most mechanical non engine parts are the same no matter what engine you have. I.e brakes, suspension, bushes etc I think will be the same across all E50's. As above Brian at BMR is great for parts and really knows his stuff. If in doubt give him a ring and he'll sort you out with what you need.
I'm the same as you buy the parts and get the garage to do the major work.
Also www.autojapspares.com/index.php are quite handy for any mechanical bits Brian doesn't have.
Ditto. Looks to me as though you have a generation 1 model E50 Highway star model which will be a 3.2 Turbo diesel intercooled auto. And possibly a 4x4 model if its 4WD.

Have you already bought it????

jamesreilly273

E50 Owner
Ditto. Looks to me as though you have a generation 1 model E50 Highway star model which will be a 3.2 Turbo diesel intercooled auto. And possibly a 4x4 model if its 4WD.

Have you already bought it????
Yip bought a few months back just trying to "FIX" it the way I want it. I don't see any 4x4 on it, no buttons or anything. Under VIN on the V5 it definetly says AVC5U-011607. I wasn't sure if the time of year it was registered would make a difference. I know with my RX-I'm Latter 2007 so that has some engine updates to it compared to the beginning of the year.

01/07/1998 is what it says on the V5.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yip bought a few months back just trying to "FIX" it the way I want it. I don't see any 4x4 on it, no buttons or anything. Under VIN on the V5 it definetly says AVC5U-011607. I wasn't sure if the time of year it was registered would make a difference. I know with my RX-I'm Latter 2007 so that has some engine updates to it compared to the beginning of the year.

VIN plate and 'carved on script' for the chassis number are on the left hand rear of the engine bay - best have a look there for the model type (AVE-50) and the chassis number (AVE50-xxxxx) etc.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner

Can you post up some pictures of it please so we can get a better picture of it. VIN - AVC could mean its a Caravan designated model perhaps.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
You'll need to update the details on your V5 using section 4 I believe. Enter the correct VIN. Or email them and tell them that the VIN is wrong and give them the new one.