Well, that's done it then

AM Flooring

Premium Member
Hi all,

Largely thanks to the brilliant knowledge gathered from this site we took the plunge yesterday and an E51 Highway Star will soon be ours.:grinning:

Rupert at Free Spirit is going to just fit a pop-up roof for now to keep costs down and also so we can drive it about and see what we actually want from our eventual conversion.

Thank you for all the help you have already given and we look forward to meeting up with some of you next year.

Andy and Della

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Thanks for the welcome,

It was nearly dark when we left and it's not been prepped as it's a new import, so no pictures.
It's a white pre-facelift E51 Highway Star with grey interior so at the moment nothing special to report.
Good choice!
Testing the water is definitely the only way to decide on best conversion options / compromises.
Welcome to the club! :D

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Welcome folks. My own conversion is based on what I saw at Free Spirit Autos as we both liked the layout but the cost was out of budget.

Should you opt for the diy route, I know where the r and r beds are made as I have one.

Rupert uses Drive Lodge pop tops which are the best looking ones for the Elgrand IMHO :)

AM Flooring

Premium Member
Hi folks, long time no speak.

Looks like our little Star will be ready on Saturday/ We asked to have a rail fitted and underseal too before we got it.
Picked up an ex demo Vango awning from DW Camping, what lovely people, I would thoroughly recommend them. http://www.dwcamping.co.uk/

Insurance has been harder than expected, either £700 or won't insure while it's converted, or 90 day deadline to do the conversion. Finally settled on Admiral for £400 but will have to change once it's converted as they don't cover campers.

Nothing is managing to dampen our enthusiasm though, not even the horrible weather!

IMG_20180127_142549092.jpg IMG_20180127_134333624_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi folks, long time no speak.

Looks like our little Star will be ready on Saturday/ We asked to have a rail fitted and underseal too before we got it.
Picked up an ex demo Vango awning from DW Camping, what lovely people, I would thoroughly recommend them. http://www.dwcamping.co.uk/

Insurance has been harder than expected, either £700 or won't insure while it's converted, or 90 day deadline to do the conversion. Finally settled on Admiral for £400 but will have to change once it's converted as they don't cover campers.

Nothing is managing to dampen our enthusiasm though, not even the horrible weather!

View attachment 2781 View attachment 2782
I love those two tone leather seats and the poptop is very smart and not too bulky. A nice Ellie.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi @AM Flooring - good job done - I hope you'll be very satisfied with the Elgrand from Rupert

. I used Adrian Flux (£300 ish) for my Elgrand and they gave me 12 months to do my conversion - 90 days is bit mean, especially if it were a self build. Still, if you get the conversion done in 90 days, you'll be up and running by late spring and 'out there' enjoying the camping.

.......... and the poptop is very smart and not too bulky. A nice Ellie.
Yes, that's a Drive Lodge poptop - easily spotted by the dimple in the side of the roof moulding.