Undersealing

Dave Collins

Premium Member
A few from today - still requires another three hours then a wash down.

Attachments

Seven

The Engineer
Staff member
E50 Owner
that looks easier than rolling round on your back like i did,
And I did, with a paintbrush. I'll still do it myself but I'll do it with spray cans or rent a hoist if I can convince a garage. Shouldn't be too hard if I'm still working at my bike garage by then, we've got a great relationship with a couple auto shops.

Edit: One thing that's always concerned me is how hard the nuts and bolts are going to be to get off if ever needed...

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
And I did, with a paintbrush. I'll still do it myself but I'll do it with spray cans or rent a hoist if I can convince a garage. Shouldn't be too hard if I'm still working at my bike garage by then, we've got a great relationship with a couple auto shops.

Edit: One thing that's always concerned me is how hard the nuts and bolts are going to be to get off if ever needed...
Spraying might be quicker and neater, but you probably get a thicker coat on there by brushing it on.

Seven

The Engineer
Staff member
E50 Owner
Spraying might be quicker and neater, but you probably get a thicker coat on there by brushing it on.
You'd be correct if you'd be doing it how the average chav does spray paint on the side of a EWS freight train. The way @Mr G did it was he probably bought about 10 cans and kept going over. 10 cans at my parts store is probably £60 and a little wide-spray adapter will be a couple quid, tops. Do a coat, let it dry, do another coat, let it dry, do a 3rd coat, touch up anything you missed with the brush. Me being me and paranoid of rust on these Jap beasts I'd top it up with a brush every year anyway. :p

Dave Collins

Premium Member
First thing would to source all materials. Access to lift, remove wheels and wheel arch covers. Thorough jet wash underneath, 24 hours to dry. Masking up. Gloves , overalls, hat. Away ya go. Hours spent applying. Let dry. Hours spent applying. Let it dry. Same again. Let it dry. Wash down. Remove masking. Job done. I’ve by no means used chavs. These guys do it all the time and have a reputation to up hold. At the end there is a Certificate of warranty which will hopefully convince a future purchaser that it had been done properly. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to spend underneath it and fortunately I am in a position to pay for it. If I wasn’t in that position I would do it myself too 👍🏻☀️

Dave Collins

Premium Member
Update :- Dinitrol complete. I asked a few questions and the man said :- It’s about coverage. Not the number of coats. Not missing anywhere is very important.

He had been over my vehicle 3 times and it was covered. Any nuts and bolts are not hampered by the coatings. For normal motoring it should not need touching for four years.

For anyone off roading ( Landrovers etc) it’s a good idea to have a look underneath at each mot or ask your tester to give it a quick look to see if there are any patches showing through. Some of his off roading customers vehicles are axle deep in mud the day after a full treatment and those guys might put their vehicles in for a blow over every year.