E51 TV - adding UK DTV Freeview Tuner to OE AV System

richard morris

E51 Owner
hi, I believe it’s possible to install a freeview box and connect it to the car tv aerial. I think I read somewhere it’s in the window? Where would be the easier way to access the cable to attach to a freeview box? I have an E51 model. Thanks.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I think you are confusing the way there oe systems work and how you can patch aftermarket stuff into them.

For a simple answer on how to patch aftermarket stuff into an oe system you have to fully understand what is fitted and explain its specifications to us.

Ie do you have a twin screen, nav with tv and oe headunit, with rear aux in (RCA) sockets in driver side panel behind sliding door?

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
then plug whatever you watch into rear RCA. Set it to output NTSC (or if only PAL available fit a PAL > NTSC adapter) and select VTR in the TV settings. (VTR is the rear aux-in/RCA)

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
You’ll have to fit your own as you won’t be able to use the oe aerial array (the technical reasons are explained somewhere on here but basically they are set up for Japanese transmission standards which might not be a big problem but the fact that physically connecting to them will increase the resistance in the wiring and reduce their output to the point they are useless IS a problem)

Sorry you’ll have to fit aftermarket items ... and that’s a whole can of worms I haven’t researched but that you might find already festering on here in the ICE section http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/forums/i-c-e-help-needed.22/

... which is where this thread should be so I’ll
Move it an title it better so others might know what it’s actually about ;)