Tracking and Wheel Balancing Elgrand E51 (2005)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Door sticker/ manual pressure are for SUV/MPV tyres You’ll have to up pressure and spoil ride quality and put up with higher ware if you’ve fitted car tyres even if load ratings are ok

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
As far as tracking concerned mine was done in the UK with the Hunter System. See recommended, before and after in attachment. It concerns me a little that the Front Right Camber and the Left Rear Camber were more out of range after the wheel align wheel alignment E51.jpeg ment was carried out and the Rear Right camber is still way out of the recommended range. Not sure it was £114 well spent!
Maybe someone who is more familiar with these things can offer an opinion?

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have found a garage in The Netherlands with the Hunters Hawkeye Elite Tracking system and they have the correct readings for the E51. I assume the Rider is the same setup as the Highway Star? Just wondered whether the camber at the rear is the same as my's very obvious!?

IMG_3890.JPG

Spencer Barratt

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have found a garage in The Netherlands with the Hunters Hawkeye Elite Tracking system and they have the correct readings for the E51. I assume the Rider is the same setup as the Highway Star? Just wondered whether the camber at the rear is the same as my's very obvious!?

View attachment 2450
Riders as based on none-HWS I believe, so a different camber value as per my posting from the manual. Quite a big difference there.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
If it's been lowered they will struggle to get the rear camber with specs. Mine has been pulled in as far as poss. Standard I think rider and HWS had the same suspension. I'm just waiting for someone to check their original rider shock part numbers as these aren't available in Nissan epc.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Riders as based on none-HWS I believe, so a different camber value as per my posting from the manual. Quite a big difference there.
If it's been lowered they will struggle to get the rear camber with specs. Mine has been pulled in as far as poss. Standard I think rider and HWS had the same suspension. I'm just waiting for someone to check their original rider shock part numbers as these aren't available in Nissan epc.
Mmmmm what do you guys @Spencer Barratt @Mr G think I should do then? Brian at BMR reckons it is definately lowered it looks to me like the standard setup underneath but its definately lower than my white Rider, every garage normally has a problem getting it on the ramp!

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Without having adjustable camber arms you'll never get rid off the camber on the rear. Mine are very noticeable and so are freshnmintys. It will probably wear a little more on the inside but as long as the toe setting are on then it won't eat through then in a few thousand miles. When I originally out coilovers on I was adjusting them for a couple of month and the alignment was all out and the inside went down really quickly but now it's been done the wear has slowed right down.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
That seems expensive for tracking? I paid £40 or they would do it free with new tyres, vehicle was on the system.
Most places are about £30-40 per adjustment for alignment. I paid £150 for mine bit I can go back and have it realigned a number if times in the next 2 years. Tracking is only done on the front wheels I'm lead to believe

Guybrush

E51 Owner
Ah ok, my local has the hunter system but they just do the free recheck after a month. They're also dirt cheap on MOTs but always come with the hard sell on tyres or advisories and I guess that's where they make their money on most customers.

Spencer Barratt

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Most places are about £30-40 per adjustment for alignment. I paid £150 for mine bit I can go back and have it realigned a number if times in the next 2 years. Tracking is only done on the front wheels I'm lead to believe
You can do the rear on E51’s. Tracking is priced by time spent.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
So my Elgrand Rider is booked in for tracking and 4 wheel balancing on Thursday in The Netherlands! Managed to find a company that has the Hunter system and the specs for the E51, my only concerns are that mine is a Rider will I need to supply them any further information or just let them set it to the specs on the Hunter System?

TIA :)

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
its 6 inches from front spoiler to ground, Brian reckons it's been lowered but suspension doesn't look diffrent maybe its got lowered springs :neutral:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
If it's been lowered then it is not longer rider specs. I don't understand alignment etc, but if the different models with different suspension have different settings and yours no longer has the original rider suspension.. I don't know. Guy who did mind went off HWS settings but couldn't get factory settings as I've lowered mine too much :cool: how cool am I

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
If it's been lowered then it is not longer rider specs. I don't understand alignment etc, but if the different models with different suspension have different settings and yours no longer has the original rider suspension.. I don't know. Guy who did mind went off HWS settings but couldn't get factory settings as I've lowered mine too much :cool: how cool am I
Your not alone here Mr G. it baffles the hell outta me TBH also and yes mine also has non OEM set up so it puzzles me as to how they can set it up.

In the mean time I just keep an eye on my tyre pressures weekly and also my tyre wear and every few months rotate the front wheels to the rear and the rears to the front for optimum wear and usage. My steering wheel is bang in the centre where it needs to be and she does not drift in either direction unless the road camber is off which would be a normal reaction anyway for any vehicle set up or not so I am leaving mine well alone.

It would also be a lot cheaper to buy a new tyre as opposed to having this Hunter align done.

Last edited: