Tracking and Wheel Balancing Elgrand E51 (2005)

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
On my way back from Carlisle yesterday I hit a pothole and then noticed a bit of wheel wobble coming through the steering wheel.
I took it into Kwik Fit today and they suggested a wheel balance and a Hunter wheel alignment for the fronts.
They checked the tyres and bearings and they were OK.
I had anticipated this and took the above info with me.
They did the balancing but when it came to the alignment they could only find the 2010 52 model on their computer. (Mine's a 2003 NE51)
I gave him the info but he was still unable to find it.

I drove it home after the wheel balance hoping that it might have done the trick but there is still a definite pull to the left and a wobble.
Any suggestions please? Tracking? Rack?
Another possible cause of the wheel wobble is internal tyre damage. I had this after a pot hole - no visible damage and no improvement after a wheel balance. A few miles later, the tyre disintegrated but they were old tyres and Jap ones at that. Hopefully your tyres are EU and fairly new?

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Buckled wheel or deformed tyre have same symptoms on e51 I’ve found (tracking usually unaffected even with potholes big enough to shatter a new 18” alloy)

Kieran

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Similar issue - had 4 new tyres and then noticed that over 60mph the steering wheel is jerking/wobbling. Had them check over the bearings, suspension, etc. They think the balancing is off and have redistributed the weights to try and counter it.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hope mine is balancing Recently I have also noticed a slight vibration I think from the rear. My only worry is that when the car was being repaired it sat at the garage for a good 6 months for the bumper to arrive from Japan and now I am concerned that the rear tyres may have distorted their shape, fingers crossed they only need balancing!

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
So I phoned up Euromaster in The Netherlands and guess what theres no information for the Elgrand in their system! grrrr
He did say if I can get hold of all the measurements they can do it manually, does anyone by any chance have any useful information they could send me e.g. all the necessary measurements and degrees. TIA