All think I need an amp?

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
OK so I've had complaints from No1 daughter that she cant hear the film when I'm driving. It's turned up full whack!! The rear speakers have been replaced and the standard fronts are still sounding sweet.
I don't know much about ICE upgrades but from what I've read installing an amp to power the 4 speakers would be better than relying on the HU internal wank amp.
So after watching a load of YouTube vids I know I could throw it all together, but I don't know what to throw at it. Obviously a 4 channel amp. Any recommendations on which one? I don't want to spend mega money and I don't want a night club in my van. So does anyone have any ideas.

Last edited:

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
My door speakers are all powered from my head unit which is 50w RMS x 4 channels.

I can still hear them even with my 1000w of thumping subs in the boot.

I do have to turn the HU up a LOT more when playing films compared to music though. I also find that setting the graphic equaliser to the "vocal" pre-set helps massively.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
My door speakers are all powered from my head unit which is 50w RMS x 4 channels.

I can still hear them even with my 1000w of thumping subs in the boot.

I do have to turn the HU up a LOT more when playing films compared to music though. I also find that setting the graphic equaliser to the "vocal" pre-set helps massively.
yeah my head unit is 4x45w but it is an xtrons 4x45w, same with my music it is quite loud but when im doing 70+ films seem to struggle. I did think about changing the sound to vocal too.
once a new sub is installed then that can deal with the bass side of things and let the speakers do there thing.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
If your films are quieter than your music in might be a simple case of adjusting your SLA (source level adjust) settings.

If there are any on your headunit?

This basically allows you to increase the base volume dependent on the source. i.e on my Pioneer Head Unit by default my ipod connected to my USB input is a lot quieter than the in built DAB or FM tuner so I've increased the level on the USB source so which switching between sources the volume is the same.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
If your films are quieter than your music in might be a simple case of adjusting your SLA (source level adjust) settings.

This basically allows you to increase the base volume dependent on the source. i.e on my Pioneer Head Unit by default my ipod connected to my USB input is a lot quieter than the in built DAB or FM tuner so I've increased the level on the USB source so which switching between sources the volume is the same.

I have this on mine. But my music and films are from the same source (USB Stick). So there is no adjustment to be made. The music is still much louder than the films, so I have no adjustment for it.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner

I'll have a look but the HU is the source for everything.