The VIP Elgrand

sgl904

E51 Owner
So we have had our Elgrand a few months now and alot has changed since we have had her. Yes the thread has probably started abit late but haven't had much chance to start a thread until now and there is still alot more to come in the future. With our van I always wanted it to stand out from the crowd! So bought this 2004 E51 with body kit (unsure of the makers of the body kit)
View attachment 362
This is the first picture we took of her, looking quite sorry for herself and with some accident damage on the rear end (No pictures of damage but was quite bad) and the bottom of the front bumper had hit a few kerbs head on. It was a pretty cheap for its spec and age plus it had a body kit and a few other bits of the series 3 model like the led mirrors and led tail lights, it was the first one my eye was drawn too at the dealers, probably because it was so low!!
So we dicided it would be a bit of a project and to get it looking back the way it should!

View attachment 363
The picture above shows how close the doors are too the kerbs and it can be abit of a struggle getting out at times!

Thankfully the dealer repaired most of the damage and replaced a broken tail lamp so it was sort of fixed but to a rather poor standard as the paint didn't match well and the bumper still had a few cracks in the fibreglass.

So my first task was sorting out the remaining damage I decided to do the job right, so I bought some fibreglass resin and matting, fibreglass filler and some other odds and ends for sanding and what not from halfords. (I have a trade card so get some discount)

I've found that Audi Amalfi white matches perfectly for the more inconspicuos areas like the bottom of the front bumper which has been damaged many a time and I don't want to spend too much on getting repaired each time! I used a dremel to grind down the cracks down to the fibreglass and used fibreglass, a smear of filler over the top and various grits of sand paper to get it perfectly smooth. I then went in with some colour matched paint on the rear bumper and resprayed the whole rear bumper with a clear coat over the top and a buff with some G3 buffing compound.

Next was to the sound department, there was an annoying rattle coming from the rear speakers which I was determined to fix. I removed the door cards to find some rather tired aftermarket speakers, and found the speaker cone had pulled away from the back speaker frame so was making and annoying russling noise. I decided to replace them with some FLI Intergrators I had from a previous car, not much bass on them but they were crystal clear sound, so perfect for what I had planned.

View attachment 364

I was determined to eliminate any ratlles on the door so used foam to secure a silver runner on the bottom of the door which I found rattled on the inner skin of the door. This runner is where the electrical wiring comes through and allows the wires to feed into the door.
View attachment 365
I also covered all the holes in the inner skin of the door to improve the bass repsonse but I dont have any pictures of this. The speaker size is 13cm but they stick out so would recommend to anyone thinking of changing them to go for some abit smaller to fit flush.

When refitting the door card I used some anti rattle clips off ebay, cheap to buy and to do both sliding doors you need 20 of them (10 per door) and after all that there is no more rattles form either of the doors! hurray!!

No need to change the front speakers as they had already been changed for some pioneer carrozeria speakers and tweeters.

We also decided to get a subwoofer and after visiting a car audio shop nearby we chose the inphase active twin suwoofers running at 2400w powered by a inphase 1202 amp bridged. It has brillaint repsonse and is so sharp on its delivery. View attachment 370

Then next part of the audio was the rather poor headunit and factory screen. As pictured below. As you can see it has a dark wood effect that matches nothing in the van but I suspect from the damaged wiring behind it a previous owner had swapped it out in the past for something better. View attachment 366

The new unit! View attachment 367

The new unit has DAB radio, Gps (IGO myway), Sd card, bluetooth, DVD player and various inputs and outputs for other screens or video sources like games consoles.

Unfortunately on our van there was no RCA in the back that I could easily tap into but I was determined to have the top screen work of the headunit and reatain all factory functions. So after some cutting, splicing wires and grazed knuckles I finally got it working!
For anyone without RCA inputs there is an adaptor lead you can buy which I did try but the wiring on mine was chopped, so had to do it another way!

http://worldbeatsonic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/avc14-elgrand-e51-av-input.html

It fits on the tv tuner behind a panel in the back, where my finger is. It allows you to have RCA inputs on the factory screen. View attachment 368

Next up was the a new drop down DVD player. The one that was fitted was aftermarket, pixels had died and it was black, so looked out of place. I did toy around the idea of having an ipad mounted in the roof but it proved too much and would take alot of work as the power button would need to be accesible for turning it in and off. So I went for a tried and trusted approach and fitted this. It is an Xtrons 11.3" cream drop down dvd player, Xtrons have a uk depot so if anything went wrong I wouldnt have to send it back to china! View attachment 369

It has its own DVD player, SD, USB and aux input+output so it is now linked to the headunit so you can have the same thing on all the screens, or play a seperate movie through the wireless IR headphones.

I am also going to do a seperate thread on a front bumper cam as a few people have asked me how to fit one so will post that in the I.C.E section.

Hope all this wasn't too much at once, but hope you enjoyed reading the thread. If you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask. Follow this space as there is still more to come!

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Looks good and another great start to a project :D Thanks for sharing buddy! These threads help to give people ideas of their own!

sgl904

E51 Owner
Another quick update. As old radio is a dark wood the gear knob had also been chage to match.
But with the new headunit it looked out of place. So we purchased a D.A.D gear knob.

View attachment 380
The old one, as you can see is dark and doesnt match the light wood thats in the van.

View attachment 381

The new one looks alot nicer and has the VIP style that I was after. Plus it screws down further than the old one so doesn't get in the way so much.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I recovered as many of the attachments and images as possible. but unfortunately there are still some that didn't recover. Nothing I can do about it now I'm afraid :(