• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

From the vast experience within this group, I would really appreciate your views regarding the "average" life span and reliability of the Cats for the E51, how much do they cost to replace, etc?

I am just about to take receipt of my E51 this Saturday with a mileage of c 45k, MOT passed two weeks ago etc. All of the above has been incredibly insightful but I must admit leaving me in a cold sweat and I would welcome any guidance to ask the dealer on the day. Thanks in advance and all the best.

I replied to your CAT thread, but no cost to replace the rear CATs - just remove them for not much money. Most CATS last the lifetime of the car, a small number fail or clog prematurely so its wise to remove them just in case.

So has anyone noticed better MPG when you remove the cats?

From the vast experience within this group, I would really appreciate your views regarding the "average" life span and reliability of the Cats for the E51, how much do they cost to replace, etc?

I am just about to take receipt of my E51 this Saturday with a mileage of c 45k, MOT passed two weeks ago etc. All of the above has been incredibly insightful but I must admit leaving me in a cold sweat and I would welcome any guidance to ask the dealer on the day. Thanks in advance and all the best.

So you'll maybe buy a dash cam for £100 in case of an accident, or a 1st aid kit in case you need it, or a fire extinguisher in case of fire. So spend 2hrs labour costs at your local garage for a decore and stop sweating;)

So has anyone noticed better MPG when you remove the cats?

No, because no one in there right mind drives or admits to driving one long enough without removing the rear cores to worry about mpg with them in.

Honestly in same conditions you can drive the same route and get 18 to 28 mpg depending on your right foot, how the heck anyone can say doing X saved 2 mpg without removing all the other variables is beyond my comprehension.

Feeling the love. Thank you both for settling your differences.

Either way, the cats need to be removed/de-cored. Whether or not you inform your insurance is up to you, but it's either that or face a blown engine. I know which I'd rather do!
So does any one know if a set of replacement straight through pipes is available to bolt straight in, I do like an easy life lol !

Thanks Spencer, I thought a couple of straight through pipes the length of a cat box with a couple of clips each £100 not over £ 230 gulp !

? They gotta make money (or they wouldn’t sell them). That’s why most of us de-core. Cheaper, stealthier.

? They gotta make money (or they wouldn’t sell them). That’s why most of us de-core. Cheaper, stealthier.
Mr Rob, point taken but I think I will buy some pipe with clips and just cut out the cats. My MOT man will pass the vehicle if the emissions are OK, so drive in with nice hot engine.

Mr Rob, point taken but I think I will buy some pipe with clips and just cut out the cats. My MOT man will pass the vehicle if the emissions are OK, so drive in with nice hot engine.

So long as the cores are gone, car should be safe from blocking that’s the main thing :)

Hi @DaveC, You say you like an easy life? Me too which is why with a copy of the picture below, I went to my local garage and asked them to de-core the rear two cats.

de-core-2.jpg

2hrs labour and parting with £108 was simple enough for me.

But if you want to order up some extra kit, wait for it to arrive and phaff around underneath etc., then hey, each to their own;)

Hi @DaveC, You say you like an easy life? Me too which is why with a copy of the picture below, I went to my local garage and asked them to de-core the rear two cats.

View attachment 1430

2hrs labour and parting with £108 was simple enough for me.

But if you want to order up some extra kit, wait for it to arrive and phaff around underneath etc., then hey, each to their own;)

Perfectly put.

No, because no one in there right mind drives or admits to driving one long enough without removing the rear cores to worry about mpg with them in.

Honestly in same conditions you can drive the same route and get 18 to 28 mpg depending on your right foot, how the heck anyone can say doing X saved 2 mpg without removing all the other variables is beyond my comprehension.
Elgrands are not about MPG there about feel good factor. If MPG is a concern than maybe a Mirca would of been a better buy.....cheaper parts too!

That would be interesting....ideal if you live in central London and can't get above 20mph anyway.....revving the balls off it to get it moving would keep the meandering cyclists well at bay too lol

I wish they would invent an engine that went from 6 cylinders to 3 in cruise mode.

I wish they would invent an engine that went from 6 cylinders to 3 in cruise mode.
They have done!
Its called a Nissan Elgrand E51 just as the cats first start to disintegrate and block up on one of the banks.....only problem is the other bank follows shortly afterwards and your no longer even running on 3 pots lol

They have done!
Its called a Nissan Elgrand E51 just as the cats first start to disintegrate and block up on one of the banks.....only problem is the other bank follows shortly afterwards and your no longer even running on 3 pots lol

o_OBeat me to it :joy:

Back