E51 Space saver wheel

Andys

E51 Owner
Hi all, hope you can help? I have had an lpg conversion done (thanks Simon, still running great) but I now have a huge lump of a spare wheel in the back of the van. Is a space saver wheel available for an Elgrand? A can of the foam stuff is not an option as we drive to France and Spain and I don't want to be stuck on a foreign motorway with a flat tyre. Once had a tyre sidewall punctured with a large knife during an attempted car jacking but that's another story...................!!!

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi all, hope you can help? I have had an lpg conversion done (thanks Simon, still running great) but I now have a huge lump of a spare wheel in the back of the van. Is a space saver wheel available for an Elgrand? A can of the foam stuff is not an option as we drive to France and Spain and I don't want to be stuck on a foreign motorway with a flat tyre. Once had a tyre sidewall punctured with a large knife during an attempted car jacking but that's another story...................!!!
You will be better off with a full size wheel compared to a spacer saver if your touring a lot. I bought a cover for my 5th alloy on my E50 and stood her up in the back ( see pic ) no issues at all. Better save than sorry I say. Elgrand Pictures May 20th 2012 008.JPG

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
A project Elgrand I worked on had a space saver underneath, on that basis I’d assumed they were all spacesaver spares rather than a full size?!

They must do space saver spares for Nissan Juke / qashqai etc that would fit without any problems.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks but wanting to put in a rear conversion so need the wheel as small as possible.
Your only other solution then would be to rear mount a wheel on a cage like on a Landy. If I were touring long distances I would want a full size spare but I suppose you cant have it all ways these days can you. Pretty sure too if you are touring over the water you MUST have a spare wheel along with other safety items too. I know when I used to commute from Germany to England all the time it was LAW to carry things otherwise on the spot fines or car impounded.

Pretty much ALL model Elgrands do have a full size space saver spare wheel fitted under the rear albeit I suppose I full size alloy could have been optioned from new by the original Japanese owner.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I’ve just checked the E51 space saver that currently lives in my garden.

It’s 17” x 4” fitted with a 155/70/17 tyre.

Stamped with ...

17x4” TOP 822 03 2.8 40300 05U70 NISSAN

Derek

Premium Member
Most modern cars no longer come with any spare, just a can and compressor. I read a comment saying where does it stop spare belts, alternator, engine. So I thought fair enough get good breakdown cover and leave spare at home and if really stuck I will get it posted to me. Just my thoughts. Fitted lpg.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Most modern cars no longer come with any spare, just a can and compressor. I read a comment saying where does it stop spare belts, alternator, engine. So I thought fair enough get good breakdown cover and leave spare at home and if really stuck I will get it posted to me. Just my thoughts. Fitted lpg.
The only problem you will have is if your away and you knacker a wheel completely your vehicle is totally disabled until you either get your space saver from where ever it is and or another alloy with tyre.

The can of foam and no Jack in the boot scenario is total crap these days and its no wonder you see loads of folk stuck on the side of the motorways going nowhere.

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I hope that you're not with the AA for your breakdown cover then Derek. unless they've changed their policy, the AA will only attend you if you agree to be charged to have you vehicle recovered to the nearest garage to get the tyre replaced, this is if your car was produced by the manufacturer with a spare wheel (full or spacesaver) and you no longer have a spare wheel for what-ever reason.
Other breakdown clubs are starting to think similarly, so I would suggest to any member that no longer has a spare wheel, to call their recovery service and ask the question, even better E-mail them, then keep the reply if it's to your advantage.

Derek

Premium Member
I hope that you're not with the AA for your breakdown cover then Derek. unless they've changed their policy, the AA will only attend you if you agree to be charged to have you vehicle recovered to the nearest garage to get the tyre replaced, this is if your car was produced by the manufacturer with a spare wheel (full or spacesaver) and you no longer have a spare wheel for what-ever reason.
Other breakdown clubs are starting to think similarly, so I would suggest to any member that no longer has a spare wheel, to call their recovery service and ask the question, even better E-mail them, then keep the reply if it's to your advantage.
I wasn't aware of that clause, I worked some years ago for a local garage that did work for green flag customers and would manipulate the rules to ensure the motorist would have a favourable outcome without saying too much. Interested if now a days how many people suffer total failure of a well maintained tyre. Have picked up nails and slow puncture but not total loss.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I wasn't aware of that clause, I worked some years ago for a local garage that did work for green flag customers and would manipulate the rules to ensure the motorist would have a favourable outcome without saying too much. Interested if now a days how many people suffer total failure of a well maintained tyre. Have picked up nails and slow puncture but not total loss.
Personally I would never go anywhere without a spare of some sort to get me out of the poo and off the hard shoulder.

Andys

E51 Owner
Totally agree. We would have been in serious trouble many years ago on a Spanish motorway without a spare. We do approx 7/8 thousand miles per year on foreign roads and I can't imagine travelling without a spare of some sort to help get off the motorway at least.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Totally agree. We would have been in serious trouble many years ago on a Spanish motorway without a spare. We do approx 7/8 thousand miles per year on foreign roads and I can't imagine travelling without a spare of some sort to help get off the motorway at least.
I used to carry 2 spares when commuting from Germany to UK and I used them both a few times too.

Derek

Premium Member
I guess for me I have ridden large capacity bikes and not had the ability to carry spare wheels. Modern cars don't have spare wheels so become accustomed to not worrying. Alternator failed on m27 once on my Goldwing and left stranded as I didn't have a spare so phoned a local motorcycle dealer who had one in stock and changed. What other spares do you carry just in case? I recon I am in for a puncture in the middle of somewhere soon! Lol 😁