E50 Sliding door spacer

LF09ASH

E50 Owner
Premium Member
I have fitted some aftermarket wheels that are quite wide.

They are interfearing with the sliding door and only let it open so far.

Has anyone made one or know how too?

I know they use them on t4/t5 etc unsure if they work the same etc

Thanks in advance

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner

Thanks in advance
Not looked at the E50 but I was investigating the other day for my E51 as uve got some wide one kne their way. I used a fat washer that was about 8mm I think just to see if the door still shut and how far it pushed out the door. My 8mm spacer gave about 3-4mm down by the wheel.
I also ordered some longer bolts
IMAG0622.jpg
I'm going to order some acrylic 8 or 10mm and then cut it to shape and use it as a spacer.

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
@Mr G does the door still pull in right on the back edge where the spacer is when it's closed? My sliding door catches my aftermarket rear bumper on mine and keeps rubbing the paint off near the wheel arch so this could help me out if it all sits nicely.

Last edited:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@Mr G does the door still pull in right on the back edge where the spacer is when it's closed? My sliding door catches my aftermarket rear bumper on mine and keeps rubbing the paint off near the wheel arch so this could help me out if it all sits nicely.
Yes pulls in tight and closes as it should, however I would do what I did and experiment with washers or similar. When the soft close activated it sounded a little different to normal but was fine. So I guess there is a limit on the size of spacer. If my calculation are correct I will need to find 1.4mm of space between door and wheel/tyre...maybe a bit more.:cool:

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yes pulls in tight and closes as it should, however I would do what I did and experiment with washers or similar. When the soft close activated it sounded a little different to normal but was fine. So I guess there is a limit on the size of spacer. If my calculation are correct I will need to find 1.4mm of space between door and wheel/tyre...maybe a bit more.:cool:
Great thanks for that info! I only need to find a mil or two, as it will clear the bumper if you're careful, but when it's flung open normally by the kids it just catching and rubbing.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I think @Rapperfrapper but a pic of required bracket awhile back in some conversion about wheel arches ,maybe it's being lost on change over ,he still might have pic ?? I will have a look and see if I can find it ,if I remember right it wasn't hard to copy

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member

Thanks in advance
Before I gave up with my wide rims, I did look at the door hinge spacers they often fit on Delicas - like this one here:
http://forum.retro-rides.org/post/1639708

This is more involved than the spacer above as it flings the door out further away from the rail, so the open/close is more of a 2-stage operation in its movement.

More pics of this sort of mod here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.3pBamnuw-iA

I went Maverick/Terrano for Rims in the end though !

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
That looks decent. If he does get back to you could you let me know? Pain in the bum with the door not opening fully.

Thanks buddy
He has got back to me and is going to take some photos of mod to door ,his car is away getting some work done to it ,so might be a while ,he also he he could a price for fab bracket from garage

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
He had it made did he?
Don't no if he had it made ,just repeating what he said about getting a price to get one fab ,but have it on gd authority that they have been for on jauce and such in the past ,I would no about that due to me not been any gd at computers lol

LF09ASH

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Don't no if he had it made ,just repeating what he said about getting a price to get one fab ,but have it on gd authority that they have been for on jauce and such in the past ,I would no about that due to me not been any gd at computers lol
Any more news on the sliding door bracket?