E51 Side windows intermittant

Steve Thompson

Premium Member
I've just tested mine.
2007 NE51
Both dead via door + rear switches.
No change with opening/closing drivers door.
No change running engine or not.
No change with a little persuasion (pushing and twisting the mechanism).
No change with a bang.
I can hear a relay switching behind the panel when it tried but it sounds like a half hearted switch - if you know what I mean!

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've just tested mine.
2007 NE51
Both dead via door + rear switches.
No change with opening/closing drivers door.
No change running engine or not.
No change with a little persuasion (pushing and twisting the mechanism).
No change with a bang.
I can hear a relay switching behind the panel when it tried but it sounds like a half hearted switch - if you know what I mean!
Are you referring to the extream rear opening windows??

Apparently they can be very temperamental. My dealer had to get mine working again as they did not. He said they work on a resistor type thingy and they can play up. Cold weather can cause it so we are doomed in the UK then. He did get them working fine though with a little tip of " tap them gently " but ive just left mine alone for now. Don't wanna end up with a window stuck open or half cocked.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Mine work when the mood takes them - not when it doesn't! I've decided not to bother with them as we only really ever have 2 people plus spaniel in the van so it's not high on my priority list of things to sort.
Agreed, best left well alone in the CLOSED position IMHOP. Bad design I think too.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Agreed, best left well alone in the CLOSED position IMHOP. Bad design I think too.

mine are pretty dodgy as well! lol The motor sounds very weedy and sometimes they do not always close... as you all have mentioned above they are best left closed! I do think they look quite cool from the back though.... :)
@peter strokosz where abouts do you use the WD40 by the motor mechanism?

Steve Thompson

Premium Member
Bit negative lads.
Cum on this is a real problem, gotta love a problem!
Anyone can stack cans of beans on a shelf.
So I've been looking and researching, this is what I have so far:-
Symptoms - Rear fold out windows on E51 work intermittently when requested (both sides/full range/age indifferent)
Possible causes:-
Mechanical - seal sticking/actuation mechanism/drive motor mechanical failure
Electrical - Power supply/control/hard wiring/

Suggested fixes:-
Tapping motors/batteries weak/power supply lines cracking in conduit/motor replacement/WD40

Reported fixes:-
Tapping motors/replacing motors/replacing supply lines with larger gauge wires/WD40

My experience:-
Mechanical - seal is not sticking/Mechanical mechanism is fine/motor mechanical failure cannot be seen as no power to motor
Electrical - All x4 relays can be heard to switch so power + signal via cam bus to IPDM CAB (Intelligent power distribution module) is all OK
The outputs from the control unit (these are behind rear side panels) need to be tested - PINS 37 & 38 but reading between the lines this output will be OK as the faults are intermittent and the motors work sometimes/slowly other times/with assistance other times.
Circuit diagram shows that the supply to the side window motors is just two wire (open/close) therefore the motor body has to be well earthed.
So ...... I bet you a pound of bollox this is the problem ............ motor earth!
I'm now wondering if at assembly the side window motors are bolted onto the nicely painted chassis!
This would undoubtedly cause this problem.
I haven't found any cures on-line or in the forum by anyone remaking the motor earth but the symptoms and evidence screams that this is the problem!

Is anyone doing a conversion at the moment who can take a look?

Mass test if you could please lads - ignition on/radio & fan off, in the back, switch the switches and listen ............. can you hear the relays switching?
If so this eliminates all possibilities upto the output to the motors and the only commonality is those earth points.

Note:- I trust the Nissan design, I don't think the wiring or motors are spec'd wrongly.
What do ya all think?

Last edited:

Whiteside

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Mine tend to run out of puff when I open them......Once open they need a little rest before they will close, Been like that for 2 years and it’s never got any worse or better......I like it as it’s just part of her personality......

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
So I managed to open my rear windows with a litttle help from myself! Is it normally for the plastic section attached to the window to be a little loose?

Neil Walker

E51 Owner
When I got my E51 a couple of years ago I experienced the same problem. As the motor was nearly 10 years it had effectively worn out on one of the rear windows, so I ended up getting a new (second hand) one and replacing it. Works fine now. From other posts and reading done at the time, it seemed to be a known problem with the motors in the rear windows.

I just bought an E51 and noticed the rear windows worked rather intermittently (they opened but wouldn't shut, or opened and shut but then wouldn't open again. The whole time I could hear the relays clicking. The dealer had an auto-electrician take a look.

He fixed them but unfortunately I only got a second-hand explanation from the dealer, who didn't understand it and was just trying to remember what the electrician said. Something about it being a long run to the back of the van and the voltage drop was causing a problem. The fuse had *not* blown. I think they have a failsafe and stop operating if they think there is a problem.

Basically I think they cleaned and oiled them and then just told me to operate them carefully (one at a time, and decisively - I was playing with them when I first tried them as I didn't know that they did!). They've not failed since but it's early days.

This fits with the things @Steve Thompson has summarised previously.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@johnl the rear windows have been a problem for many members including myself! The best word of advise is not to use them unless absolutely necessary! :)
Especially in these cold months when it will be just your luck they will stay open and leave your ride to all sorts of problems like water ingress and or theft or alarm playing up in the night. I actually tried both of mine the other day ( first time in a couple of months ) and they both worked ok but I quickly CLOSED them again to be safe:p My selling dealer WRM told me they act like an electrical resistor and if in fact they don't get enough juice then they will play up. A gentle tap on them usually sorts them and springs them back in to life he said.