E51 Screens have stopped showing movies?

we have a 2002 E51 with an aftermarket Kenwood headunit which was fitted by the previous owner.
We’ve never had a problem playing movies to the front and rear screens, but we couldn’t get it working today........
The audio from the movie is still coming through, but no picture. I have checked settings on the head unit and it all seems to be correct.
I’ve tried the settings on the dash and seem to only be able to select either ‘tv’ (which displays old fashioned static), or
‘VTR’ which just shows a blank screen.

Does anyone have any ideas that we could try?

Thanks in advance!

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
VTR would be right if it’s feeding video in the normal (oe) way via rear rca > tv module > nav module > screens. Hopefully it’s just come unplugged or headunit output settings have been altered by mistake or battery disconnected?

IanT

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm not really an expert but it looks like you have lost the video feed from the Kenwood headhunt to both screens. If the movie is still playing on the Kenwood unit? and not on the other screens then pull the Kenwood unit out and check to see if the yellow video RCA lead has unplugged itself from the the video out on the Kenwood. If not then you need to follow this wire through to the Japanese original fit TV unit which I believe is in the rear offside panel behind the sliding door. Is it possible you could have trapped this cable or otherwise affected its continuity between the headhunt and TV unit? if the movie is not playing on the Kenwood itself then the problem is within this unit and could be disc playing mechanism. You can confirm this by using a portable disc player of some sort in place of the Kenwood and see if you can get video on the other screens.

I'm not really an expert but it looks like you have lost the video feed from the Kenwood headhunt to both screens. If the movie is still playing on the Kenwood unit? and not on the other screens then pull the Kenwood unit out and check to see if the yellow video RCA lead has unplugged itself from the the video out on the Kenwood. If not then you need to follow this wire through to the Japanese original fit TV unit which I believe is in the rear offside panel behind the sliding door. Is it possible you could have trapped this cable or otherwise affected its continuity between the headhunt and TV unit? if the movie is not playing on the Kenwood itself then the problem is within this unit and could be disc playing mechanism. You can confirm this by using a portable disc player of some sort in place of the Kenwood and see if you can get video on the other screens.
Thanks for your help!
It turns out the Yellow RCA lead is damaged by the plug in the rear!
I’ll get a new end put on the cable!