E51 Satnav output to main screen?

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Going to try a similar thing but my navigation DVD unit is in the center console. Maybe you should remove the flare from the car. I am intending to give mine to a friend who does a lot of sailing. Got a feeling that its not legal in UK to carry flares in cars. :cool:

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
I remember back in my days of jdm mitsubishi pajero ownership, people used to suggest the removal of flares, more due to fire hazzard than legality iirc.... probably good advice either way... i doubt the flare would still work but you never know. Surely it would fail an mot if it was illegal??

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Going to try a similar thing but my navigation DVD unit is in the center console. Maybe you should remove the flare from the car. I am intending to give mine to a friend who does a lot of sailing. Got a feeling that its not legal in UK to carry flares in cars. :cool:
Save it for bonfire night then set it off and see if Thunderbird 2 arrives:p

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner

Finally got round to fitting the TVK today.... simple operation once you manage to get the glove box out. Squeeze the rh side retaining finger in enough to allow the door to swing forward, then lift the lower hinge upwards at each side to pop off the door. The door damper chord is attached to the door by a clip that needs to be pulled backwards then pops out.... tricky until you see how it works. From there you unscrew 6 cross heads to remove the black plastic cover to reveal the nav unit and cabin air filters (take the opportunity to clean them). The the nav unit is secured with 4 or 5 screws..... pull it slightly forward and remove the rear plug by squeezing the release tab at the underside of the plug. Insert the TVK harness between the cable you just removed and the dvd socket, attach the earth lead to the frame and refit.... works a treat. I now have iphone maps and navigation through the front screen while on the move... the system can be returned to standard by the flick of a switch which i positioned just below the glove box.. very happy with the result.
Great post Nobby, with the help of these pics and written info it has been a doddle to fit and everything working perfectly on main screen aswell as double din unit and roof dropdown screen.I have fitted the cheaper £30 cable,(non switched) arrived from Amazon Japan in just over a week..
Thank you.
Alan.

Last edited:

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Anyone with cyclone 4 who knows sone video settings? I cannot get a got image on screens. Cheers
Hi, there's a whole thread on the subject on here somewhere, there's lots of info how to get it working in there.

Here's one of them Here, there are a couple of others though, maybe just use search function to find all posts with cyclone in them?

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I had problems with mine. Turned out the wires weren't making a good connection. You could try plugging something else into the RCA sockets. I used an old video camera with PAL output and got grey images on the screens (which is normal). The cyclone 4 should initially give you grey images until you change it into HTSC mode. I think the system should automatically recognise the input from the RCA sockets, but if not you need to select the option from the Elgrand ICE menu system. Details in this forum. Good luck. 😋

lockstock

E50 Owner
Purchased and installed the Sumvision Cyclone M4 - gone into the menu and changed it to NTSC -now have a coloured screen.

What I am struggling with is the mirroring of the phone content.

Do you need a wifi connection?

What app do you use? Tried about half a dozen but with no joy to date.

If you need a wifi connection, can you change the lower case to upper case in the password input section for wireless set up?

The phone is Samsung J5

TIA

lockstock

E50 Owner
Now sorted, got my Samsung Tablet out and it mirrored straight away, so it looks like the J5 doesn't mirror and as of yet I haven't found an app that will allow me to do just that- unless someone knows otherwise.

Could be a new phone then.

edited to add: Synced well with the Samsung tablet, sound quality great, ensconced in the van for about an hour last night watching a You Tube 'universe' video, That was using the house wifi, need to get out somewhere with a mobile signal and test it on the road. No problem with the handbrake off, so should be good to go -no cutting wires or adding switches etc.

Last edited:

lockstock

E50 Owner
Worked well on the road, using the phone as the wifi hot spot and the tablet for screen mirroring- not ideal,

Still haven't found an app for the Samsung J5 that picks up and mirrors the Cyclone Micro 4 .

One problem I did encounter whilst on the move the VTR screen with the off icon/box and the 3 Japanese boxes kept flashing up on screen intermittently.

As for the vehicle itself , loving it, A beast of a motor, just need a tow bar and to get the LPG conversion done, oh and CC and we should be good to go.:)

testpilot

E51 Owner
Does anyone know if the RCA still work if the headunit isn't connected at all?

I'm actually building a Raspberry Pi 3 CarPC for mine at the moment. Can't decide if I should leave the standard headunit in or not. The CarPC will have SD card reader, USB and audio inputs. Thinking I might also fit a BluRay player I've got a HDMI to RCA converter to try and display on both the front and rear screens.

I have translated the pin out for the audio and power of the standard head unit, including audio to and from Nav and Video Splitter, still trying to find video wiring in any language.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Could be, sounds as though it does the same thing, but much cheaper. I haven´t fitted the one that I purchased yet. I think that is just overides the system that cuts out the Elgrand front screen when you are driving. So really the only sensible use for it is for satnav. The satnav is easier to see if it is on the Elgrand screen, but really no big deal (unless I am missing something here).

Guybrush

E51 Owner
Heisei 16 is 2004 so it's for e51 series 2 elgrands, not sure it would be much cheaper when the auction finishes and you add Jauce fees and shipping, plus you'll have to wait for delivery and it's second hand.
Plenty of uses for it besides sat nav though, I use mine for Android auto, also have Kodi for music and a radio receiver all on the main screen, all without separate bits such to the dash or an ugly satnav stuck to the windscreen.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Not sure if this helps, but this is what I purchased from Amazon Japan:

Order number: 503-3452111-9129447 Order date: 2018/02/05 (STV-N 08-24 P) Elgrand E51 Running While watching TV DVDs Kit Automotive Sales: Amazon Japan G.K. GBP 19.37 Subtotal of products: GBP 19.37 Shipping fee / commission: GBP 5.88 Advance tax etc. Advance payment: GBP 5.05 Total Order: GBP 30.30 method of payment Credit card (Mastercard): GBP 30.30

The Amazon link for this item is somewhere on this Forum??????????????

Attachments