E51 Satnav output to main screen?

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Going to try a similar thing but my navigation DVD unit is in the center console. Maybe you should remove the flare from the car. I am intending to give mine to a friend who does a lot of sailing. Got a feeling that its not legal in UK to carry flares in cars. :cool:

nobby62

E51 Owner
I remember back in my days of jdm mitsubishi pajero ownership, people used to suggest the removal of flares, more due to fire hazzard than legality iirc.... probably good advice either way... i doubt the flare would still work but you never know. Surely it would fail an mot if it was illegal??

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Going to try a similar thing but my navigation DVD unit is in the center console. Maybe you should remove the flare from the car. I am intending to give mine to a friend who does a lot of sailing. Got a feeling that its not legal in UK to carry flares in cars. :cool:
Save it for bonfire night then set it off and see if Thunderbird 2 arrives:p

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner

Finally got round to fitting the TVK today.... simple operation once you manage to get the glove box out. Squeeze the rh side retaining finger in enough to allow the door to swing forward, then lift the lower hinge upwards at each side to pop off the door. The door damper chord is attached to the door by a clip that needs to be pulled backwards then pops out.... tricky until you see how it works. From there you unscrew 6 cross heads to remove the black plastic cover to reveal the nav unit and cabin air filters (take the opportunity to clean them). The the nav unit is secured with 4 or 5 screws..... pull it slightly forward and remove the rear plug by squeezing the release tab at the underside of the plug. Insert the TVK harness between the cable you just removed and the dvd socket, attach the earth lead to the frame and refit.... works a treat. I now have iphone maps and navigation through the front screen while on the move... the system can be returned to standard by the flick of a switch which i positioned just below the glove box.. very happy with the result.
Great post Nobby, with the help of these pics and written info it has been a doddle to fit and everything working perfectly on main screen aswell as double din unit and roof dropdown screen.I have fitted the cheaper £30 cable,(non switched) arrived from Amazon Japan in just over a week..
Thank you.
Alan.

Last edited: