E51 Satnav output to main screen?

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi well hope it’s as easy as grounding the motion sensor. I have 8 elgrands in total bought two to convert and rent out. But numbers grew as I kept looking and bidding lol I have banned myself from looking now lol

Yes I am a importer I can easy help anyone on here if they want help finding a elgrand
That’s interesting about the converting and renting out... I’ve toyed with that as an idea... I have a pal that does that with T5’s. Bits are still hard to replace like spoilers and bumpers though so it puts me off a bit...

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've just ordered one too. Total cost about £30 including shipping and tax. Estimated delivery between 31 Jan and 14 Feb. They had 6 left so between us we've taken half their stock :). Cant wait to try out. Thanks Guybrush!!
I've just ordered one and it was the last one they had on stock, selling like hot cakes, lets hope they do the job, mine is estimated delivery 4th to 14th Feb. £30 all in.

Guybrush

E51 Owner
The motion sensor is used by the sat nav I think, probably another reason for the more complicated setup on the more expensive cables with the on off switches? As no one's worked out how to get the sat nav working (yet 😉) it shouldn't matter here.

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've just ordered one and it was the last one they had on stock, selling like hot cakes, lets hope they do the job, mine is estimated delivery 4th to 14th Feb. £30 all in.
Even though I had estimated delivery 31/1 to 14/2 package arrived today! Unfortunately wont be able to fit it until the weekend but fingers crossed! Looks simple enough - even for me!

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Even though I had estimated delivery 31/1 to 14/2 package arrived today! Unfortunately wont be able to fit it until the weekend but fingers crossed! Looks simple enough - even for me!
John,Please keep us informed as to the fitting and how it performs.

Guybrush

E51 Owner
You can fit it without even removing the DVD drive, bit fiddly but there's just enough room to reach up behind it. I know this because I stripped the screw trying to remove the DVD drive and had to do it that way o_O.

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
You can fit it without even removing the DVD drive, bit fiddly but there's just enough room to reach up behind it. I know this because I stripped the screw trying to remove the DVD drive and had to do it that way o_O.
Is that the DVD drive in the glove box ? Mine is the E51 Series 2 2007.

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Mine is 2003 E51 and drive is at bottom of centre console but I believe later models like yours are in glove box. Probably easier to get to yours!

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Mine is 2003 E51 and drive is at bottom of centre console but I believe later models like yours are in glove box. Probably easier to get to yours!
Thanks for that John, do you have to remove a jack plug to plug it in to or is there a spare jack plug at the back of the DVD drive ? what's the procedure when fitting the new cable when it arrives ?

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Haven't done mine yet as couldn't get the dvd out when I tried today Hoping to finish it over the weekend. As far as I can see you just unplug the cable from the back of the unit. This then plugs into the new cable which in turn goes in where you unplugged it if you get my drift. All should make sense when you get the cable. Will let you know how I get on when I've done it...

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
So after a couple of hours dismantling the central console and trying unsuccessfully to shift any of the screws that appeared to be holding the sat nav system in place I decided to sleep on it and try again today. This pic shows the position of the drive...

IMG_20180127_125646.jpg
@Guybrush said he managed to get his hand down behind the unit and get hold of the lead that way, but then his is in the glove compartment. At first I couldn't see any way in until I tried reaching round the back from the passenger footwell. Bingo! The lead is right there and came out quite easily even though I couldn't see what I was doing. Here's the new lead attached, waiting to be plugged back in...

IMG_20180127_125630.jpg

Really tight fit for my hands and took a lot of fiddling and guesswork but this part of the job took just a couple of minutes. Connected up my Cyclone Micro 4...works a treat!! Now all I need do is upgrade my phone to one that will miracast so I don't have to keep nicking Mrs. K's phone every time I want the sat nav showing on screen.
Cheers @Guybrush and thanks for your help!

DaveC.

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Any updates on this thread please. I.e. where and what colour is the Parking Brake wire and where and what colour is the motion Sensor wire.
If it has been sorted, it would be good to have answers as it drives me mad not having something working.
Thanks for all the input on this subject

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have the same looking navigation unit as you, @JohnK , in the centre consul. What I don't understand is whether the unit is for navigation only or is also supposed to play DVD's. Do you use the rear phono sockets to get the satnav from the head unit to the original screens?

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The lead from Amazon Japan is £30 but I get your drift. @Frogeyepete To get sat nav on the front screen I am miracasting from an android phone to a cyclone micro 4 box which is plugged in to the RCA sockets. This box also lets me play videos or music from a usb stick or memory card. Can also stream stuff off the phone and use inbuilt radio to get more than just Radio 2. Total cost £34 for the cyclone then £30 for the cable. Much cheaper than putting in a new radio and maintains the original look for the fascia. Works for me!
BTW @Frogeyepete I see youre not far from me. I am in Sanderstead :)

Last edited:

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for the information. I have also purchased a Cyclone Micro 4 box and it works through the RCA sockets. I just wondered if the Satnav units that you and I seem to have are also supposed to play DVD's. I bought a NTSC format DVD to try it and it sort of recognised that the disc was in there, but wouldn't play anything.
Nice to know there is a fellow owner South of Watford. :grinning:

Guybrush

E51 Owner
The original unit will play DVDs, should be a 'play dvd' button on your dash, or on the rear remote if you have a rear screen.
The satnav is built in to the unit and the maps came on a DVD, but they're not compatible with any UK dvd nav discs

nobby62

E51 Owner
Its arrived from Japan.....just need to install it now. It will be interesting to see the simple wiring mod that can do the same job as this component cos it looks like a fair bit of electrickery to me o_O

Finally got round to fitting the TVK today.... simple operation once you manage to get the glove box out. Squeeze the rh side retaining finger in enough to allow the door to swing forward, then lift the lower hinge upwards at each side to pop off the door. The door damper chord is attached to the door by a clip that needs to be pulled backwards then pops out.... tricky until you see how it works. From there you unscrew 6 cross heads to remove the black plastic cover to reveal the nav unit and cabin air filters (take the opportunity to clean them). The the nav unit is secured with 4 or 5 screws..... pull it slightly forward and remove the rear plug by squeezing the release tab at the underside of the plug. Insert the TVK harness between the cable you just removed and the dvd socket, attach the earth lead to the frame and refit.... works a treat. I now have iphone maps and navigation through the front screen while on the move... the system can be returned to standard by the flick of a switch which i positioned just below the glove box.. very happy with the result.

Last edited: