E51 Satnav output to main screen?

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Did you get to fit the switch mate
Hi James, yes I have fitted the switch but have not had a chance to put together a video about it... bad weather last week and now running out of time trying to get everything done for Christmas... so I won't be able to get round to this until after the holidays, sorry.

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi James, yes I have fitted the switch but have not had a chance to put together a video about it... bad weather last week and now running out of time trying to get everything done for Christmas... so I won't be able to get round to this until after the holidays, sorry.
No problem mate, hope all is well.

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
I also have a miracast box which works great and allows me to mirror my iphone, music videos, navigation etc to both screens. However with the std setup the front screen shuts off as soon as you disengage the footbrake and move off. So I have been looking for a beatsonic tvk12 so that i can run the iphone navigation through the front screen while driving. There is a uk agent for beatsonic and they are able to supply one for the princely sum of £189 plus vat ! This is for an item that retails in Japan for 8800 jpy. So i have contacted beatsonic directly and they have an overseas shipping department and will supply one for the above price plus 2200 jpy shipping, thats 11000 jpy in total (about £74). Obviously there will be some duty and vat to pay as per hmrc rules but it will be a sight better value than the uk retailer. Just shows how the uk retailers are prepared to rip you off for over double the value of the goods.... My order has been placed and i have paid the paypal invoice... I’ll report when the item arrives...

At 80 quid for the mirrorbox plus an estimated 115 quid, including taxes, for the tvk, i think its a good alternative to ripping out the original hardware and fitting a double din unit.... especially for those like me who are not mad about having the latest ice setup...
Today i received a notification from parcelforce that the parcel is ready for despatch to me subject to the payment of customs charges.... which are £7 vat and £11 clearance fee... not as much as i expected. Looking forward to receiving the parcel

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Today i received a notification from parcelforce that the parcel is ready for despatch to me subject to the payment of customs charges.... which are £7 vat and £11 clearance fee... not as much as i expected. Looking forward to receiving the parcel
What’s your Miracast box that works with iPhone?

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
Its arrived from Japan.....just need to install it now. It will be interesting to see the simple wiring mod that can do the same job as this component cos it looks like a fair bit of electrickery to me o_O

Guybrush

E51 Owner
I have this one-
Link
Says it works for e51 h14 to h19 which I think is 02 to 07
Amazon sort the import duty so there's no suprise handling charges and they delivered mine in 3 days by DHL.

Just plugs into the back of the DVD player took 5 mins to fit.
The more expensive ones can be turned off with a switch which I think is needed to pass the Japanese mot but isn't needed here

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have this one-
Link
Says it works for e51 h14 to h19 which I think is 02 to 07
Amazon sort the import duty so there's no suprise handling charges and they delivered mine in 3 days by DHL.

Just plugs into the back of the DVD player took 5 mins to fit.
The more expensive ones can be turned off with a switch which I think is needed to pass the Japanese mot but isn't needed here
Thanks for the link, that would be much easier than my solution which involves a bit of wire cutting and soldering which is not everyone’s idea of fun. Is it easy to buy stuff on the jap Amazon site? It didn’t recognise my uk account details, do you have to set up a new account? Cheers Adrian.

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for the link, that would be much easier than my solution which involves a bit of wire cutting and soldering which is not everyone’s idea of fun. Is it easy to buy stuff on the jap Amazon site? It didn’t recognise my uk account details, do you have to set up a new account? Cheers Adrian.
It’s ok, I’ve now set up another Amazon acc on the JP site, easy, thanks, I’ve ordered a couple of leads!

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've just ordered one too. Total cost about £30 including shipping and tax. Estimated delivery between 31 Jan and 14 Feb. They had 6 left so between us we've taken half their stock :). Cant wait to try out. Thanks Guybrush!!

Guybrush

E51 Owner
I've bought a few things from there, you can filter search for stuff available for international shipping, not as much choice as Yahoo Japan auctions but at least you can see the total cost up front without waiting for it to be reshipped by an intermediary company and possibly held up at customs for more charges to be added etc. plus royal mail's handling charge rip off.

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
You don't need the Beat Sonic lead... there is a simple diy solution that requires very basic wiring ability.
When the parking brake is released a 5v signal is sent to the factory AV system which tells it to turn off the front screen. By cutting this wire and adding in a SPDT (single pole double throw) Switch you can trick the system into thinking the brake is on when it's off. Flick the switch in the other direction and it will revert to normal factory operation. Switch cost... £2.50

I will post a video of how to do it when I get the chance.
Hi so can you maybe tell me where you cut the wire that sends the 5volt is it down at the foot brake ? Any idea of the wire colour ?

Thanks Keith

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi so can you maybe tell me where you cut the wire that sends the 5volt is it down at the foot brake ? Any idea of the wire colour ?

Thanks Keith
Sorry Keith, I took it all to bits before Xmas ... isolated the handbrake... but didn’t isolate the motion sensor before running out of time. I can’t remember the wire colour but I will pull it all out again soon and take photos/video

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sorry Keith, I took it all to bits before Xmas ... isolated the handbrake... but didn’t isolate the motion sensor before running out of time. I can’t remember the wire colour but I will pull it all out again soon and take photos/video
That’s fine I just wondered asi have 5 elgrands to do.

So have you still got to isolate the motion sensor ? Or can you view front screen on the move

Keith

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
That’s fine I just wondered asi have 5 elgrands to do.

So have you still got to isolate the motion sensor ? Or can you view front screen on the move

Keith
I found the handbrake wire and sorted it, put it all back together and... at anything over a couple of miles per hour the motion sensor kicks in and off it goes again, so yes we have to ground the sensor wire too, which I have to find while driving along... so I’ve been waiting for my sparky pal to ride shotgun with the multimeter while I swerve about like a loon.
If you want it switchable you still only have add a switch to the handbrake wire... hope that makes sense...

5 Elgrands.... you’re an importer too then...?

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi well hope it’s as easy as grounding the motion sensor. I have 8 elgrands in total bought two to convert and rent out. But numbers grew as I kept looking and bidding lol I have banned myself from looking now lol

Yes I am a importer I can easy help anyone on here if they want help finding a elgrand