E51 Satnav output to main screen?

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
We (my son-in-law & myself) have fitted a double din radio to my bus, I have the nissan screen copying whatever is on the radio screen, all the steering wheel buttons work as they should as well.
in the document tray (next to the flare holder) we found a Japanese TV module, removing this there is a ribbon of 3 wires going to it, re-route that to the back of the new double-din unit, then with a Pal - NTSC adapter plug in the yellow wire to the adapter with another short lead to the radio unit yellow output, now you just need to play with the buttons, ie TV, and the left-right, OK control until you get the correct screen up on the nissan unit.
To get the steering column buttons working, there should be a wiring dia with the new DD radio of the wiring plug, speaker wires and power wires are easy to know, the others, press the steering wheel button until you get a reading on a meter, wire them according to the dia. Then you'll need to go into the "settings" on the new radio, find the menu for setting the steering wheel buttons and sort them, job done.
When you release your foot/handbrake does the Nissan screen still copy whatever is on the Double din head unit or does it revert back to the Nissan logo ?

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes, I believe as with most Elgrands there is the "cheat" button that disables switching off the screen if you're in gear, mine is to the left of the steering column.

Radio. 20171106_090743[1].jpg Satnav. 20171106_090908[1].jpg Phone. 20171106_090947[1].jpg The cheat button that allows the screen to still show when in gear. 20171106_092249[1].jpg

Last edited:

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes, I believe as with most Elgrands there is the "cheat" button that disables switching off the screen if you're in gear, mine is to the left of the steering column.

Radio. View attachment 1685 Satnav. View attachment 1686 Phone. View attachment 1687 The cheat button that allows the screen to still show when in gear. View attachment 1688
Mine doesn't have a switch to able/disable the screen when in motion, do you think it could be an after market switch that was fitted by the previous owner ? Has anyone else got that switch fitted ?.

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
there is a post somewhere in the dark depths of the forum saying how to wire it in, i'll go an search for it, but no promises.

i've searched but so far not found it, I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
These pics were sent to me courtesy of @daddyof4 stereo/screen setup, thank you. :)
Really wish I could get my Sat Nav working on the Original screen rather than just on the Xtron double din stereo all I can view is the DVD's.

IMG_20171105_222739.jpg IMG_20171105_222723.jpg

Winchester

E51 Owner
My Cyclone 4 Miracast box has arrived and it was really easy to set up and plug in to the av inputs behind drivers seat and it mirrored the output from a mobile phone to the factory screens really well.
The main reason why I wanted to buy the Miracast box was to demonstrate that the front screen can be used as a uk sat nav but you can also plug in a laptop, mini SD card or external hard drive and play offline content too.

The next step was to see what happens when I released the foot brake and drive up the road.... I'd read threads about the foot brake switch and motion sensor problems, so I wasn't expecting much... however I got a nice surprise... the content from the cyclone box continued to play. So I stopped the car an inserted a jap region DVD in the OEM sat nav/DVD slot and started it playing. I set off again and it continued to play from both screens. So I shut the rear screen and the front one still played, so this van must have already been altered in Japan.

Then I think I realised why the front screen was playing content while the van was moving... this van has the two front bumper side facing 'junction cameras' which activate as the vehicle approaches a junction at slow speed, allowing the driver to see both ways at a junction, through the front screen. This system must override the farctory settings. You can even program it to play the side cameras content during the whole journey... but that is quite unpleasant to look at.

So in summary, if you pick a van that has the factory tv tuner with av outputs and the 'junction' cameras' you will be able to have uk sat nav and online/offline tv through the OEM screens with no fuss, no wiring.... just a simple plug and play £30 cyclone box.

I'll do a YouTube clip showing it all working, for the benefit of all the members, probably over the weekend.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've now installed a Cyclone 4 and have set up the screen mirroring for uk sat nav through the main screen, which works really well. I have also copied a UK region film onto a micro sd card and played that through the cyclone box, that worked brilliantly too, so easy!
here's how I got on...
Thanks for that @Winchester . It's sure to help members out :)

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've now installed a Cyclone 4 and have set up the screen mirroring for uk sat nav through the main screen, which works really well. I have also copied a UK region film onto a micro sd card and played that through the cyclone box, that worked brilliantly too, so easy!
here's how I got on...
Adrian, is this the new Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 . Media player . ?

nobby62

E51 Owner
I also have a miracast box which works great and allows me to mirror my iphone, music videos, navigation etc to both screens. However with the std setup the front screen shuts off as soon as you disengage the footbrake and move off. So I have been looking for a beatsonic tvk12 so that i can run the iphone navigation through the front screen while driving. There is a uk agent for beatsonic and they are able to supply one for the princely sum of £189 plus vat ! This is for an item that retails in Japan for 8800 jpy. So i have contacted beatsonic directly and they have an overseas shipping department and will supply one for the above price plus 2200 jpy shipping, thats 11000 jpy in total (about £74). Obviously there will be some duty and vat to pay as per hmrc rules but it will be a sight better value than the uk retailer. Just shows how the uk retailers are prepared to rip you off for over double the value of the goods.... My order has been placed and i have paid the paypal invoice... I’ll report when the item arrives...

At 80 quid for the mirrorbox plus an estimated 115 quid, including taxes, for the tvk, i think its a good alternative to ripping out the original hardware and fitting a double din unit.... especially for those like me who are not mad about having the latest ice setup...

Winchester

E51 Owner
I also have a miracast box which works great and allows me to mirror my iphone, music videos, navigation etc to both screens. However with the std setup the front screen shuts off as soon as you disengage the footbrake and move off. So I have been looking for a beatsonic tvk12 so that i can run the iphone navigation through the front screen while driving. There is a uk agent for beatsonic and they are able to supply one for the princely sum of £189 plus vat ! This is for an item that retails in Japan for 8800 jpy. So i have contacted beatsonic directly and they have an overseas shipping department and will supply one for the above price plus 2200 jpy shipping, thats 11000 jpy in total (about £74). Obviously there will be some duty and vat to pay as per hmrc rules but it will be a sight better value than the uk retailer. Just shows how the uk retailers are prepared to rip you off for over double the value of the goods.... My order has been placed and i have paid the paypal invoice... I’ll report when the item arrives...

At 80 quid for the mirrorbox plus an estimated 115 quid, including taxes, for the tvk, i think its a good alternative to ripping out the original hardware and fitting a double din unit.... especially for those like me who are not mad about having the latest ice setup...
You don't need the Beat Sonic lead... there is a simple diy solution that requires very basic wiring ability.
When the parking brake is released a 5v signal is sent to the factory AV system which tells it to turn off the front screen. By cutting this wire and adding in a SPDT (single pole double throw) Switch you can trick the system into thinking the brake is on when it's off. Flick the switch in the other direction and it will revert to normal factory operation. Switch cost... £2.50

I will post a video of how to do it when I get the chance.

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
You don't need the Beat Sonic lead... there is a simple diy solution that requires very basic wiring ability.
When the parking brake is released a 5v signal is sent to the factory AV system which tells it to turn off the front screen. By cutting this wire and adding in a SPDT (single pole double throw) Switch you can trick the system into thinking the brake is on when it's off. Flick the switch in the other direction and it will revert to normal factory operation. Switch cost... £2.50

I will post a video of how to do it when I get the chance.
Looking forward to your vid mate