E51 Satnav output to main screen?

Trunk

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi everybody.
Has anybody had success transmitting the satnav from a double din head unit to the main drivers screen?

Or do they only output DVD?

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
On my recently installed Pumpkin HU, I connected the Video Out to the RCA connectors in the O/S rear (near the 'C' pillar) and then switched the vehicle TV to VCR mode. I was then able to view what ever was on the Pumpkin screen on the dashboard screen.

In standard wiring the VCR is only visible with the footbrake on, but I have a byepass function fitted.

Winchester

E51 Owner
On my recently installed Pumpkin HU, I connected the Video Out to the RCA connectors in the O/S rear (near the 'C' pillar) and then switched the vehicle TV to VCR mode. I was then able to view what ever was on the Pumpkin screen on the dashboard screen.

In standard wiring the VCR is only visible with the footbrake on, but I have a byepass function fitted.
Hi Alan, I've just read this thread and am interested in fitting the footbrake bypass you mention so I can run a sat nav through the front screen, via miracast, what bypass did you use? Thanks

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
Thanks Alan, no worries, I've discovered a couple of options, cheers Adrian
If you already have it connected up outputting dvd to the main screens then it is all down to the headunit. Some output whatever is being displayed on the headunit screen, others will only output the DVD. Obviously if you have a headunit that will output the satnav screen you will still need the bypass switch for it to show on the front screen.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
ahem yes of course but its for the sat nav anyway so is not illegal??
  • I think what @mattd is saying and if my own understanding is correct, if you send the HU output to the Jap centre screen via the RCA sockets at the rear of the vehicle, then you will need to override the vehicle foot brake inhibiting system to see anything on that screen when on the move.
  • The vehicle inhibiting system is separate from the HU function that you refer to which only determines what is shown on the HU screen

daddyof4

E51 Owner
  • I think what @mattd is saying and if my own understanding is correct, if you send the HU output to the Jap centre screen via the RCA sockets at the rear of the vehicle, then you will need to override the vehicle foot brake inhibiting system to see anything on that screen when on the move.
  • The vehicle inhibiting system is separate from the HU function that you refer to which only determines what is shown on the HU screen
mine works ok??

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@daddyof4 Pics of the SatNav on the OEM Nissan screen, would love to get mine working on it but unfortunately I can only display DVDs when the handbrake is on.

ALAN RODGERS

Premium Member
E51 Owner
@daddyof4 please post some pics I am very curious as I haved OEM screen but cannot view my Double Din headunit SatNav on the original display only DVD's. :confused:
Is this what's needed ?

Item ID TVK Nissan Series
Video & Navigation In-Motion Controller for Nissan
  • Nissan
    Elgrand May.2002 – Oct.2007 TVK-12
    Elgrand Oct.2007 – Aug.2010 TVK-43
    Elgrand
    (Video Only) Aug.2010 – Nov.2011 TVK-60
In-motion video and navigation controller allows viewing of video and full use of navigation
with the vehicle in motion. Easy to install plug and play device works by isolating vehicle
motion sensor, handbrake signal and/or GPS antenna input.

Features include:
Watch DVD / MPEG / AUX Video etc. on factory monitor while car is in motion.
  • Input and edit satellite navigation destinations without having to stop the car.
  • Access digital phone book without having to stop the car.
  • Browse music folders and play list from MP3 media and /or HDD audio sources.
  • Plug and play installation with no modifications to factory harness.
  • Dual switch type uses separate selector switch for video and sat-nav override.
  • Single switch type overrides both video and sat-nav lockout on certain models.
Important Warning:
In-Motion controllers are designed for use by passenger(s) of vehicle. Under no circumstances should the driver be distracted from the road by watching video, operating sat-nav, using hand-held devices etc. Serious injury and/or damage to property may result.

Last edited:

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
We (my son-in-law & myself) have fitted a double din radio to my bus, I have the nissan screen copying whatever is on the radio screen, all the steering wheel buttons work as they should as well.
in the document tray (next to the flare holder) we found a Japanese TV module, removing this there is a ribbon of 3 wires going to it, re-route that to the back of the new double-din unit, then with a Pal - NTSC adapter plug in the yellow wire to the adapter with another short lead to the radio unit yellow output, now you just need to play with the buttons, ie TV, and the left-right, OK control until you get the correct screen up on the nissan unit.
To get the steering column buttons working, there should be a wiring dia with the new DD radio of the wiring plug, speaker wires and power wires are easy to know, the others, press the steering wheel button until you get a reading on a meter, wire them according to the dia. Then you'll need to go into the "settings" on the new radio, find the menu for setting the steering wheel buttons and sort them, job done.

Whotsit

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Is this what's needed ?

Item ID TVK Nissan Series
Video & Navigation In-Motion Controller for Nissan
  • Nissan
    Elgrand May.2002 – Oct.2007 TVK-12
    Elgrand Oct.2007 – Aug.2010 TVK-43
    Elgrand
    (Video Only) Aug.2010 – Nov.2011 TVK-60
In-motion video and navigation controller allows viewing of video and full use of navigation
with the vehicle in motion. Easy to install plug and play device works by isolating vehicle
motion sensor, handbrake signal and/or GPS antenna input.

Features include:
Watch DVD / MPEG / AUX Video etc. on factory monitor while car is in motion.
  • Input and edit satellite navigation destinations without having to stop the car.
  • Access digital phone book without having to stop the car.
  • Browse music folders and play list from MP3 media and /or HDD audio sources.
  • Plug and play installation with no modifications to factory harness.
  • Dual switch type uses separate selector switch for video and sat-nav override.
  • Single switch type overrides both video and sat-nav lockout on certain models.
Important Warning:
In-Motion controllers are designed for use by passenger(s) of vehicle. Under no circumstances should the driver be distracted from the road by watching video, operating sat-nav, using hand-held devices etc. Serious injury and/or damage to property may result.

At a £120. 00 it is not exactly cheap though and for the milage I do now it not really worth it for me.