All Recall Check Up

blingo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Cool! Thanks for this.

Just checked mine - has had 4 re-calls carried out, last one was issued in September 2013 (including the ecu + cat checks)!

Offers a bit more piece-of-mind! :D

Simon

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I'm going to make this post a sticky and a global announcement as I feel this is something we should all be checking, just for piece of mind :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing Mike.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm confused with the results, are they the recalls relating to your vehicle or are they confirming that the recalls have been done?

S

Simon

They are the recalls relating to your vehicle, the last column says if the recal has been performed or not.

3 recalls on my E50, all performed

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ah figured it out, its had 5 recalls and all complete, 2x cat/ecu prob, fuel gauge, front brake disc, and transmission.

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
I opened it using Chrome on my tablet and it automatically translated the page. Not sure if it makes a difference or not that I have the google translate app already installed.

jonesy

E51 Owner
Hi all

I've just bought an 2004 E51 Rider. It's a lovely motor with great history and just 23,000 miles. It looks and drives like a new car :) . Easily the nicest car I've owned, and I'm very happy with it.

There's some great advice on this site, and using some of this, I've just checked the recall history of my Elgrand. It's had 4 recalls so far, with all remedial work having been performed. The one I'm most interested in, having read the threads, is the cat problem.

Thankfully, mine has had the recall (No. 3225) in September 2013.
Issue - Unburnt fuel is discharged without combusting in the engine, so the front side of the exhaust catalyst becomes too hot because the fuel combusts inside the catalyst, which may damage the catalyst.
Action - In addition to modifying the engine control program, technicians would have inspected any damage to the catalyst, and if needed catalyst 4 was replaced with a new one.

So, bearing all this in mind, I'm wondering how many people have actually gone down the route of having the cat's removed?

I've talked to an my local garage head technician this morning and he's advised me not to do it, saying it could lead to other problems with the ECU and emissions. His view was that if it's been recalled and this remedial work has been done, then to feel assurred that's it'll be ok.

Not sure what to do now!

BTW - the other recalls on mine were:
No 380 - power steering pump
No 2049 - fuel gauge circuit
No 1677 - front disc replacement

Thanks very much

Nick

jonesy

E51 Owner
Thanks Karl.
I will get it done.
Can I ask which route you've gone down please?
Have you removed the pre-cats only?
I've spoken to long-life SS exhausts and they can cut the pre-cats out and add a SS section in.
But, I'm wondering if this will help if pre-cats have already degraded and partially blocked the rear cats.
Is the best thing just do replace the whole thing from infront of the pre-cats all the way back?
If so, what sort of figure should I be looking I pay here?
Thank you
Nick

user

E51 Owner
For fronts £120-£150, rears £100-£120.
I got fronts removed/cleaned, they are in original look, just all ceramic stuff cleaned from inside.

jonesy

E51 Owner
Would it not make more sense to remove rear cats, in case there is already build up of debris from the potentially damaged pre-cats?
Had a quick look, and it seems like it's just a case of having 2 sections made up and bolted in?

Missing pre-cats would be harder to detect from an MOT inspect, but it seems logical to get rid of back cats?

Any thoughts?