Rear number plate lights not working!!

Well got it!!!!! Got my Elgrand today and it runs like a dream. Love it, so easy to drive. Just went out to check lights over and both rear number plates not working. Im going to have a look tomorrow but thought i would ask if anyone can give me a heads up on removing lights, wiring colours etc..... First I'm going to check the relevant bulbs etc. Just thought i would ask before i end up taking the rear tail gat off lol:grinning::joy:

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Probably got pulled apart when illuminated number plate was ripped off.

Removing tailgate interior trim is easy just prise it off with a trim removal tool. There might be some obvious screws to indo and curtain fittings I can’t quite remember But I did it and didn’t break anything...

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Could just be blown bulbs? On the E50 you can get to them from outside without having to remove anything internally. Just need a phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that hold it in. Not sure how different the E51 is though.

Investigated this yesterday. Removed both numberplate lights and found them unplugged. Dug around a little and found the right hand plug, connected it and all ok. Couldn't find left hand side so removed inner trim and found that the plug has been cut off for the upper LEDs. So its mission find the plug or make a connector. At least one is on for now. Thanks for the help;)

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Investigated this yesterday. Removed both numberplate lights and found them unplugged. Dug around a little and found the right hand plug, connected it and all ok. Couldn't find left hand side so removed inner trim and found that the plug has been cut off for the upper LEDs. So its mission find the plug or make a connector. At least one is on for now. Thanks for the help;)
How did it get through the MOT I wonder? Hope you sort it soon mate

I did question that to myself being a mechanic but i didn't discover it till the night. Ive checked,questioned and checked for other problems lol but all looks and feels good. Checked all recalls today and all 6 have been carried out so a warmer feeling from that :)

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Hey mine passed an MOT without a Horn : unamused: And that was after it failed an MOT for not having a Horn :joy:

Same Garage, same tester, must have been slipped a back hander to ignore it :eyes:

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
How about a led strip that connects to the one wire but is placed so that it illuminates the full width of the number plate from above?