Rear Fog light

Craig Clarke

E51 Owner
I am a proud owner of a mint 2003 E51 Rider purchased from a dealer back in April last year. I was cleaning it the other day when I noticed I have no rear fog lamp. The funny thing is a switch has been fitted but there are no lights working when switched on! Am I missing something silly? I see a lens on the top of the tailgate are they normally wired to this or is a separate lamp normally fitted? Any advice would be welcomed. It’s due an MOT in April and don’t want this to be the silly reason for failure! Thanks peeps

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
fog will only work when headlights are on, so make sure they are on then flick the fog switch. There is a possibility that the fog has been fitted in place of one of the reverse lights

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yes, quite common to use the OS reverse light section for the new fog light... Saves messing with the good lines of the bodywork :)

feeney33

E51 Owner
are there any other alternatives apart from adding seperate fog lights under the bumper.
My reversing light has been modified to a fog light but means the reversing lights are not as bright and hard to view the reverse camera at night.
Has anyone fitted those led strips maybe behind the horizontal light cluster through middle of tailgate.
Just looking for a better option.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
The high level garnish is very easy to smash when you take it apart so I’d recommend you buy a couple to practice on if you wanna try a diy fog install but I think they’d be outside the allowable position limits up there.

Simple led strip fog on L section bracket under bumper my preferred option. Two high powered rev lights are even better than one and almost mandatory with limo tint ime.

1FF6FB56-8A10-4DBA-A755-BCA71553184D.jpeg

feeney33

E51 Owner
The high level garnish is very easy to smash when you take it apart so I’d recommend you buy a couple to practice on if you wanna try a diy fog install but I think they’d be outside the allowable position limits up there.

Simple led strip fog on L section bracket under bumper my preferred option. Two high powered rev lights are even better than one and almost mandatory with limo tint ime.

View attachment 2295
your right Robin
Max height for Rear Fog Lights is 1000mm above ground, so the middle light horiz bar is probably too high.
This option look quite neat, are they from ebay ?

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes, but you'd need to make brkts with that. the one that I linked doesn't need brkts. (there is also a longer one of if required just the same)

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Max height for Rear Fog Lights is 1000mm above ground, so the middle light horiz bar is probably too high.
My rear lights on the horizontal bar have been altered so one becomes brighter for the fog and went through the MOT no problem, pretty sure thats higher than 1000mm :confused:.

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
Not got time to find the link at the minute, but if you search for 'integrating the rear fog light' or something like that you'll find my post from a while back where I did mine. Basically I changed my rear indicators for switchback bulbs that can show orange or white from the same bulb. I used this bulb in the indicator housing to be the indicators and the reversing lights all in one. That left the space where the reverse lights used to be to fit some bright led red fog light bulbs. Hey presto, all required rear lights fitted into the OEM clusters.

feeney33

E51 Owner
Not got time to find the link at the minute, but if you search for 'integrating the rear fog light' or something like that you'll find my post from a while back where I did mine. Basically I changed my rear indicators for switchback bulbs that can show orange or white from the same bulb. I used this bulb in the indicator housing to be the indicators and the reversing lights all in one. That left the space where the reverse lights used to be to fit some bright led red fog light bulbs. Hey presto, all required rear lights fitted into the OEM clusters.
Sounds a good plan
Tell me though
what happens if your reversing with your indicators or hazards on ?

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
Ah bum, I'll try and sort the photo bucket issue later then. If indicating and reversing is flashed between white and orange. Passed all MOT's since it was done, with no issue.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
E marked and correct positioning is Legal requirement Whether or not it’s included in mot I didn’t know.