Project "UNEXPECTED" Rider S

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Love the Nismo puddle lights but needles were better before.
Then again orange is my favourite dash colour. Seems to suit my eyes better, blue is horrible and red almost as bad. Green is ok but orange rocks.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
First part of the boot build was completed today, all airride boxed off and a storage compartment added, sub box will be built over the next week or so along with a small amp rack.

Have got a pair of brackets mocked up for the rear arms so hopefully in a couple of weeks the rear end will be as low as the front and pretty much on the deck.

Bushes arrived for the top mounts so im hoping i might be able to get these fitted tomorrow.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
didnt get the top mounts fitted and Autoglass brought the wrong screen to replace ours with, they took pictures and i gave them the corect part number, have to wait for a call tomorrow to see what can be done, direct line want like for like so Autoglass need to get the right one.

Sub box started, decided to ditch the 15 inch sub and go for 2 10s, looking at fitting either Focal or Rockford ones.

More rgb leds ordered today for boot and underneath.

Len

Premium Member
Did you start off with a cardboard box? You seem to have changed, or about to change, most things except the transmission. Are you ever satisfied? OTOH, I like some of the things you have done, especially the instrument cluster lighting.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
For the past 20 years i have felt the need to modify everything, i did want to go full supercharged route but the cost was too much to justify, my mrs would kill me if i spent 15k on the car, i have never felt they have quite enough power though, so a 350 engine swap was the cheapest alternative, this coupled with nitrous and a few subtle engine mods will see the 300lb ft and 350 horse level i want. the transmission will hold 400 of both so im hoping i wont have to change that lol.

The instrument cluster is a nice little mod, i have ordered leds now to start doing the rest of the car, so the heater controls etc will all be blue too soon.

Sub box should be finished later today, well apart from cutting out the sub holes, i have found some more rgb leds to go inside the boot which will look sweet.

Started to strip down the 350 engine today to see what i need to get it in the 51, its really straight forward and not much in the way of work needed to get it done.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
not had a chance to get the box cut for the subs, have had quite alot on, i have managed to get a LED remote control rgb strip into the boot and fitted some more to the box in the boot. there will be more blue led strips to go in the boot area too.

Started stripping the 350 engine and E51 engine to get what i need from both and mock up a 350 engine prior to going for rebuild. few small custom made bits but not much at all.

Should hopefully if i get time get the box cut out for the subs and the amp rack made up this wekend and also the rest of the wiring hidden under the floor.

Need to buy a big amp to power the subs too.

Bought some leds to get the heater controls turned from orange to blue, will be taking them to my mate soon .

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I havent got much else done over the past month, i have had the sub box finished and its currently housing just one 10 inch sub, will be 2 soon, i have got 0 gauge wire running under the van to the rear too.

I managed to reverse into a mound of concrete on a driveway and snapped my rear bumper in half, not able to purchase one so its booked in for repair in the first week of jan.

I have now managed to get the camber adjustable top mounts fitted, fitted new drop links all round but the rear drop brackets didnt quite fit, need to make some "adjustments" to the air ride plate to allow them to fit right.

found out that the rear part of the exhaust has rotted, its the only piece not stainless now apart from the front cats, so will be getting a new one made up next year.

the 350 engine is pretty much mocked up, now has to go off to be rebuilt ready to go in next year.

Still waiting for numerous packages to turn up from japan which have been snail mail. hopefully soon more goodies will arrive.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Got the first jobs of the new year done, managed to fit 5 of the Cusco underbody braces, have got 4 more to fit still.

Now have Cusco BCS strut brace and fully braced under front, turn in is tight.

Fitted an ECU that i bought from japan, its labelled as Impul but sold by the buyer as unknown specs, could be ks rom, its made a huge difference.

Have got the rear bumper repaired and its a great job, now need to get some other bits done as they stand out more.

Found some small "wide" arches specific to the 51, will be shipping these over and fitting them to mine along with some further arch mods.

The plan is to fit 15mm spacers to my 10.5j rear wheels and have some more stance, a few small mods to the sliding door and it will clear fine.

Diff, drop brackets and new pas pump and alternator will be fitted over the next 2 weeks.