Project Kumo - 2001 E50 VQ35 "X"

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Not updated for a while, but new steering wheels is on... what a fuck on that was!

When we first came to fit the wheel, we couldn't get the old one off because the bolts holding the air bag in were seized. I went back to @Madfish later, and we drilled the bolts out and fitted the wheel.

When we first went to fit it, the wheel was fine... but then the second time we fitted, after fully committing with the drill... we found the wheel was cracked. Brilliant. Anyway, we were beyond the point of no return, so fitted the wheel regardless. The boss kit comes with an air bag delete resister (2.1ohm) which you fit into the air bag plug (or solder to the wires) which prevents the air bag light from flashing.

You can see in the picture below, on the right hand side of the wheel, where the plastic had cracked.

IMG_20180211_190148.jpg

IMG_20180211_190357.jpg

So, I went onto Ebay and spent another £50 that I didn't have on another steering wheel. Similar style, but better quality and I prefer the slits in the chrome to the holes. The only problem I have noticed with BOTH of these wheels is that as they are smaller than the standard steering wheel and my height, I can no longer see some of the icons on the dash (namely the indicators, fuel, engine temp). I have to duck a little to see these.

IMG_20180217_135250.jpg

All in all though, I much prefer the smaller wheel. It just feels "nicer". Although the acrylic finish on the wheel gets very cold in the winter... I had to pull my sleeves over my hands when I got in during all the snow we had. But once the engine is up to temp and the heaters are working, it soon heats up.

I'll get a centre badge for the horn at some point, just not sure what to get at the moment. I'll sort something out I'm sure :)

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I then went and about a full chrome grille to replace my black and chrome standard grille. Bargain I thought. Not to be said the universe. Turns out the grille was from a pre-facelift E50 and would not fit mine :( So although I really liked it, and it was in fantastic condition, this was not meant to be (yet). I've been on Jauce and there are full chrome grills available for the facelift model, I just need deeper pockets before I start down that road.

IMG_20180221_180303.jpg

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Just some random obligatory snow pictures courtesy of the "Beast from the East".

IMG_20180227_083052.jpg

IMG_20180227_083103.jpg

Also decided to test out how fun "power mode" is in the snow... and found that my rear wheels liked to collect snow :joy:

IMG_20180228_213514.jpg

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Had a really nice weekend just gone, so decided to give her a much needed wash, and attempted to take some more artsy pictures.

IMG_20180325_155145-02.jpeg

IMG_20180325_155203-01.jpeg

IMG_20180325_155228.jpg

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I decided that I should get more into this "detailing" malarkey, and purchased myself a Dual Action Polisher.

With my limited budget, I decided to go for the DA6S-v2 polisher, for £80 which is a 500w eliptical orbit machine with an 8mm throw. This is a great device for beginners. The more expensive machines are 800-900w, and the extra power means more chance of damaging the paint.

I also purchased a Chemical Guys soft polishing pad, and a finishing pad. @Rapperfrapper has kindly sent me some left over Auto-Finesse paint correction compounds, and a spare heavy and medium cutting pad, which I will be able to use with my polisher.

The pads are all called "Hex Logic" pads and are 5.5"

When the parcel arrived, although I'd not received the bits from Rapper, I decided to give a quick polish using Car Couture Stage 2 polish using the soft polishing pad, and then applied Poor Guys White Diamond sealant with the finishing pad, and then applied a layer of hard wax by hand.

Reflection shots on light paint are never as good as dark paint, and I will never get the same "depth" that you'll see on Rapper's Magpie, but I was really happy with the results and even with just the soft polishing pad and the finishing pad, I was able to remove most of the swirl marks on the bonnet.

IMG_20180326_175558.jpg

IMG_20180326_191433.jpg

IMG_20180326_211553.jpg

I had a strange occurrence whilst polishing the bonnet though... my washer jets decided to empty themselves all over the windscreen and bonnet. Premature firing is a common problem... right? :joy:

After speaking to @Rapperfrapper again, turns out I was pressing too hard with the machine, which was sending vibrations through the pipes and vibrating the washer fluid out. So lesson learned for next time. Made me glad I got the less powerful machine as not sure what damage I'd have done if I was pressing too hard with more power.

IMG_20180326_182557.jpg

IMG_20180326_182602.jpg

JohnE

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Not updated for a while, but new steering wheels is on... what a fuck on that was!

When we first came to fit the wheel, we couldn't get the old one off because the bolts holding the air bag in were seized. I went back to @Madfish later, and we drilled the bolts out and fitted the wheel.

When we first went to fit it, the wheel was fine... but then the second time we fitted, after fully committing with the drill... we found the wheel was cracked. Brilliant. Anyway, we were beyond the point of no return, so fitted the wheel regardless. The boss kit comes with an air bag delete resister (2.1ohm) which you fit into the air bag plug (or solder to the wires) which prevents the air bag light from flashing.

You can see in the picture below, on the right hand side of the wheel, where the plastic had cracked.

View attachment 3597

View attachment 3598

So, I went onto Ebay and spent another £50 that I didn't have on another steering wheel. Similar style, but better quality and I prefer the slits in the chrome to the holes. The only problem I have noticed with BOTH of these wheels is that as they are smaller than the standard steering wheel and my height, I can no longer see some of the icons on the dash (namely the indicators, fuel, engine temp). I have to duck a little to see these.

View attachment 3599

All in all though, I much prefer the smaller wheel. It just feels "nicer". Although the acrylic finish on the wheel gets very cold in the winter... I had to pull my sleeves over my hands when I got in during all the snow we had. But once the engine is up to temp and the heaters are working, it soon heats up.

I'll get a centre badge for the horn at some point, just not sure what to get at the moment. I'll sort something out I'm sure :)
Hi Karl I had a similar problem with my new steering wheel I could not see all the dials due to the new wheel being smaller ,That was part of the reason I bought a quick release kit , once fitted it raised the height slightly so now now I can see better

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I'm not bothering with a quick release system. I've not got the money to invest in a decent one and I don't trust the cheap kits not to snap off whilst driving. I've got used to how it sits now, and thanks to @MrChops, his free HUD app gives me the info I need clearly.

I think to be honest it's just going to be small styling changes now going forward. The van is mostly how I want it to be. I'll upgrade the sound system properly at some point with decent equipment (not Vibe this time, unless it's Black Death stuff). Probably do some bits of Vinyl wrapping of interior panels as well.

dognero

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I decided that I should get more into this "detailing" malarkey, and purchased myself a Dual Action Polisher.

With my limited budget, I decided to go for the DA6S-v2 polisher, for £80 which is a 500w eliptical orbit machine with an 8mm throw. This is a great device for beginners. The more expensive machines are 800-900w, and the extra power means more chance of damaging the paint.

I also purchased a Chemical Guys soft polishing pad, and a finishing pad. @Rapperfrapper has kindly sent me some left over Auto-Finesse paint correction compounds, and a spare heavy and medium cutting pad, which I will be able to use with my polisher.

The pads are all called "Hex Logic" pads and are 5.5"

When the parcel arrived, although I'd not received the bits from Rapper, I decided to give a quick polish using Car Couture Stage 2 polish using the soft polishing pad, and then applied Poor Guys White Diamond sealant with the finishing pad, and then applied a layer of hard wax by hand.

Reflection shots on light paint are never as good as dark paint, and I will never get the same "depth" that you'll see on Rapper's Magpie, but I was really happy with the results and even with just the soft polishing pad and the finishing pad, I was able to remove most of the swirl marks on the bonnet.

View attachment 3614

View attachment 3617

View attachment 3618

I had a strange occurrence whilst polishing the bonnet though... my washer jets decided to empty themselves all over the windscreen and bonnet. Premature firing is a common problem... right? :joy:

After speaking to @Rapperfrapper again, turns out I was pressing too hard with the machine, which was sending vibrations through the pipes and vibrating the washer fluid out. So lesson learned for next time. Made me glad I got the less powerful machine as not sure what damage I'd have done if I was pressing too hard with more power.

View attachment 3615

View attachment 3616
Smart ride you have there.
I have the same one and all the polish and pads from them too. Cant wait for the weather to improve so I can give mine a good polish.
Spent 14 hrs on the Range Rover I had. Correcting and polishing the paintwork.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Well, when @Madfish was helping me with the Air Bag fault... we inadvertently triggered another fault.

The heater panel, although worked, didn't do what it was saying. Could set it to 32 degrees, hot air, only on windscreen though (no vents). Could also set it to 18, and would get hot air, only on the windscreen. I assumed I had a buggered heater control panel. But disconnected it, and plugged it back in, and problem solved. Must have just needed to reset itself. However, one of the bulbs on the display blew when I removed it, so I bought some replacement LED's from the club supplier, and boom, looks much more modern with a white light, rather than a green light.

IMG_20180407_175015.jpg

IMG_20180407_224724.jpg

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Got home last week in a really bad mood and wanted to wash the van. If you hadn't guessed, I like to cleaning it, I find it therapeutic. So after a shit day, the sun was out, I went to clean it, and I couldn't because everyone in Hartlepool decided to park on our street and I couldn't get the van anywhere near the house.

So the day after, when it happened to be raining, I WAS able to park outside. So I cleaner her in the rain :joy:

IMG_20180410_192709.jpg

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
This weekend I had a day of dry weather, not too hot, not too cold.

So I decided to spend a good few hours giving her a good clean.

Now for those of you who don't know about or have never used a clay bar - get one! They are incredible.

I washed the van, rinsed, then went over the whole thing with a clay bar. Going over the top section (down to the first swage line ) is a quick enough process. Spray a little clay lubricant (I use weak car shampoo with water in a spray bottle) and then you just rub the clay over the paint. It removes all the tree sap, pollution, and residue on the paint that you can't really see, and won't come off with a conventional wash. It's quick to go over the higher parts of the car as there tends to be less "crap" stuck to the paint. I did the whole top of the car, bonnet included in about 20 minutes.

Then I started below the swage line, and this is where I started to take my time. The lower half of the van took me over an hour. You need to get really up close and personal and ensure you get all the little bits off. Use the back of your hand to rub over a panel to feel for where the dirt it, and then once you've clayed it, it will feel silky smooth, almost "soft".

Anyway... after a full clay, I got the polisher out again. Used a medium cutting pad and Auto Finesse No 2 cutting compoint (medium cut). I did the bonnet, nearside wing, nearside front door... then had an explosion :joy:

IMG_20180414_175316.jpg

That put an end to my polishing session... or so I thought.

When I got the paintwork done on the van when I first got it, the garage managed to get overspray over the whole roof. Fucking imbeciles! This has always bothered me, but was never able to get it off. The roof has a very "matte" finish because of it and it bugs the life out of me.

So I went with the Heavy cutting pad and Auto Finesse no 1 (heavy) cutting compound. Without a step or ladders, I just did what I could reach... and this was the result of the pad after, absolutely disgusting. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take and pictures of the roof when I was done, as I was supposed to be getting ready for date night with the missues :joy:

Note: This pad should be bright yellow!

IMG_20180414_180917.jpg

Just to note though, that the polisher did exactly what it was supposed to do, and removed all the overspray from the parts I'd polished and now that section of my roof is shiny again! Now all I need is a ladder of some kind to do the rest.

And before anyone asks... no I can't use the sunroof, because the sunroof has overspray on it as well! So I need to do the glass as well as the metal. No point doing one without the other!

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Last update for now - I now have a name badge for Project Kumo, and she wears it with pride. Thanks to @Chimestrike for cutting this for me on his new vinyl cutter :D

View attachment 4102
Ive bought one of those " Hop up " tressels Karl off Amazon for £40. Its slightly higher than a standard " Hop up " and longer too so perfect for doing the roof on the Elgrand and you are way up and over it too so no straining or reaching. Well worth buying.

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
i read somewhere.....years ago, think it was in revs, max power or fast car that cleaning in the rain is better for the car.....well it beats "diy" anyway

a few posters on detailing world have used 0000 grade wire wool instead of a cloth to clean glass, but i've not tried it tho, exhausts with that and metal polish come up a treat.

wonder if the wire wool would remove the spotty deposits we've talked about on the side windows that look caked on (more noticable on tinted glass), mine had them for the duration of ownership and even a clay wouldnt shift them.....maybe i wasnt "rubbing hard" :blush:

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
wonder if the wire wool would remove the spotty deposits we've talked about on the side windows that look caked on (more noticable on tinted glass), mine had them for the duration of ownership and even a clay wouldnt shift them.....maybe i wasnt "rubbing hard" :blush:
From what I know, the etching is permanent and the only way to get rid is to replace the glass. If there is a way of getting it off, you will need to remove a few layers of glass I believe. I think @Rapperfrapper mentioned Jewellers Rouge to get it off, but not sure what came of it.

I wouldn't dream of taking anything abbrasive like that to the car though. I don't trust myself enough to get them back out again!