Project El-noir E50

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
The plastic trim panels are mint , i channged wood affect out of mine and replaced with hws black , the surround and door switches have a glitter effect abit like yours but not as gd , and back ash trays are just plain black

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks @malcolmyz85 I was really pleased with how they came out! They're wearing really well too! No scuffs or scratches :) was tempted to do the air vents and light surrounds too, but couldn't get them out easily so gave up, incase I broke something.

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
New brake pads were needed so whilst I was changing them over I thought I'd spruce up the callipers while it was all stripped down. Went with blue to follow on the theme from the inside lights, and the blue OC stickers.
Wired brushed, sanded in parts and degreased then two coats of calliper paint from Halfords. Not as good as powder coated ones I suspect but it's lasting well and cleans up nice with a bit of wheel cleaner to get rid of the brake dust. 5262017193129.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Having trolled ebay and various selling sites for well over a year. Trying to find a set of wheels that were both affordable and an upgrade to what i already had, on my very tight budget was near on impossible. When I finally managed to get a set of wheels off a fellow member that he'd started refurbish before upgrading to a 51.
So off I went to pick them up, had a cuppa and a great chat with @davegrand while I was there, about all things Elgrand, meets, shows the club. Cracking bloke and all round nice guy! :)
Bought the Missus some flowers and tentatively told her I'd just bought some wheels..... thought she'd go mental but to my surprise she liked the wheels and all was cool :) 5262017193339.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Sat looking at the wheels in my dining room for a month trying to decide what look I wanted from them..... the chrome finish was quite weathered and needed stripping and painting. googling images etc I came across an image of some subaru wheels. Drift gold.... I'd always liked these! so thought, that's what I'm having!
Wanted to get the rims polished back up and gold spokes, but this was proving very difficult without paying a professional (money I just don't have) so in the end I gave up on this idea and decided to spray the whole wheel. Ordered the paint off ebay and off I went again. Chose a nice sunny week end and got on with it.
Really pleased with the overall look, couple of rough edges in tight bits I just couldn't prep very well but I'll live with that.
P.s stripping close to 160 bolts out of the wheels is a very long tedious job!!! And cleaning each one wasn't great but got the kids to help on this ;) haha 5262017193358.jpg 5262017193318.jpg 5262017193243.jpg 525201722254.jpg 582017211537.jpg

Last edited:

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Then came the biggie!! I got my hands on a rear deck spoiler :) :) I'd wanted one of these for soo long! But getting one from Japan was way too expensive. So when I saw it on ebay I had to have it!! Even got my wife to pay for it as I was skint at the time :D Time for some more spraying.... lol. And with some great help and advice from @Rapperfrapper managed to get it fitted without to much hassle. Now I'm really pleased with how my arse end is looking:p:D 5262017193220.jpg 525201722527.jpg

Last edited:

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Well that's brought me upto date! But now I need to start on the front end....
Got some ideas but not saying anymore just yer till I've had a go, incase it all goes tits up! Haha. Will update with progress if it goes well.

Last edited:

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Cheers for updating your project thread. I thought it was looking a bit different when you posted those photos in the other thread. :D

The DIY paintwork is coming out nicely. :)

davegrand

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
They look really good on against the black e50.
Youve done a great job of refurbing them.
Will take a look at them in person at jae if your going.

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
They look really good on against the black e50.
Youve done a great job of refurbing them.
Will take a look at them in person at jae if your going.
Cheers, yeah they look good on!! Well happy with how they turned out, couple of little rough bits in the tight areas but i can live with that. Sure thing mate I'll be there! :)

Kriss

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Love the lighting.... just bought some of those too in blue...its good to see how they'll look... ... great job all round.... The mobile spray booth is class... :)..

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi @RobP.
You look a bit of a pro at this spraying thing mate. Very impressed.
Can you give me a list of exactly what I need. Links if possible. Might have a go at spraying my horrid light fakewood trim.
Might use this spray paint. I fancy matt black. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171848037783
Thanks
Neil
Hello. Certainly not a pro mate, but had a fair amount of practice over the years!
Have used that paint in the link before and it's quite good. Good flow and coverage.
I don't have any special stuff,
You'll need some good quality wet and dry sand paper from medium course 800 to really fine 2000 grade. Sponge and water for wetting and cleaning. Then you'll need a primer (grey for black) i usually use etch primer just cause it seems to stick to most things better. top coat (one in the link for example) and some lacquer (Matt satin or gloss) whichever your desired finish is. And maybe some tape if you've got bits to mask up. Get a good quality low tack tape (normally blue colour), as the cheaper ones tend to let the paint creap under.
Process I used was give the units a sand over with the rougher paper wash and dry off. Couple of thin coats of primer. Leave to dry for an hour, (if I was patient, less if I couldn't wait.... )
A light wet sand with the finer paper, wash and dry again. Then a light spray over with the black and then a second thicker coat of black after few mins while it's still soft ish. Leave to dry for good couple of hours to harden up. If you not happy with the finish sand down again and give another coat. If it's ok move onto the lacquer. Again a couple of coats with a light wet sand inbetween. Leave for probably 24 hours before handling too much after it's finished.
I did all mine at home either in the garden or shed. Ideally somewhere sheltered from any wind and on a warm day so it dry quicker.
Hope this helps a little! I just get all my paints etc from halfords cause its handy for me. And don't worry if it goes wrong 1st time you can always sand it back and start again. Top coat and lacquer tend to run very easily if you apply it too thick so just go steady with them and keep the flow moving from side to side at an even rate. Keep stopping and starting the flow of the paint after each pass, but make sure you start spraying just to the side of the unit and not directly on it, and then pass it over.
Good luck mate if you decide to have a go at doing it yourself!!

Last edited:

neilloop

E50 Owner
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hello. Certainly not a pro mate, but had a fair amount of practice over the years!
Have used that paint in the link before and it's quite good. Good flow and coverage.
I don't have any special stuff,
You'll need some good quality wet and dry sand paper from medium course 800 to really fine 2000 grade. Sponge and water for wetting and cleaning. Then you'll need a primer (grey for black) i usually use etch primer just cause it seems to stick to most things better. top coat (one in the link for example) and some lacquer (Matt satin or gloss) whichever your desired finish is. And maybe some tape if you've got bits to mask up. Get a good quality low tack tape (normally blue colour), as the cheaper ones tend to let the paint creap under.
Process I used was give the units a sand over with the rougher paper wash and dry off. Couple of thin coats of primer. Leave to dry for an hour, (if I was patient, less if I couldn't wait.... )
A light wet sand with the finer paper, wash and dry again. Then a light spray over with the black and then a second thicker coat of black after few mins while it's still soft ish. Leave to dry for good couple of hours to harden up. If you not happy with the finish sand down again and give another coat. If it's ok move onto the lacquer. Again a couple of coats with a light wet sand inbetween. Leave for probably 24 hours before handling too much after it's finished.
I did all mine at home either in the garden or shed. Ideally somewhere sheltered from any wind and on a warm day so it dry quicker.
Hope this helps a little! I just get all my paints etc from halfords cause its handy for me. And don't worry if it goes wrong 1st time you can always sand it back and start again. Top coat and lacquer tend to run very easily if you apply it too thick so just go steady with them and keep the flow moving from side to side at an even rate. Keep stopping and starting the flow of the paint after each pass, but make sure you start spraying just to the side of the unit and not directly on it, and then pass it over.
Good luck mate if you decide to have a go at doing it yourself!!
Great sfuff. Many Thanks for the info @RobP

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Well been a little while since I did any updates on the project.
Been a busy few months with work but I've managed to find a bit of time to do a few more mods.
First up I found and ordered a bonnet spoiler from Japan. And after a slight farce with postage in Japan it finally made it to me after 2 months. 20171114_190030.jpg
There were a few marks, chips and scratches so it had a really good sand down and respray. (Out with the rattle cans again) 20171114_190030.jpg 20171119_165835.jpg 20171126_210117.jpg 20171128_131838.jpg
Spent my lunch break at work fitting it, which was really easy. 3m double sided tape on the underside and two brackets that hook under the bonnet and clamp on. Well happy with this little mod as I've been searching for one for a long long time!

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Next project I've been working on (some of you will have seen on facebook...) has been the front grill.
Having found prices for an aftermarket grill from Japan extremely expensive! Well shipping is anyway. I started to think about cutting up an original grill and altering it. Chatting to Simon Johnston at a meet it turned out he had a spare from when he owned an E50 and greatfully said I could have it to work on. Big thanks there!!!
So set about it with a rotary tool one afternoon with an idea in mind. (Must have about 50 photos of different grills I've been using for ideas)
Chopped out the middle bars at the ends just leaving the top, bottom and middle bar, carefully keeping the brackets intact. 20171013_142854.jpg 20171013_144033.jpg
Once the bars were Out, a few areas needed grinding down where a few supporting bits had been on the bars. Once they were all off and smooth it was time to start moulding and shaping. Used regular 2pack car body filler, and started filling out the ends first, to level off the indentations of the bars. Then to over fill and start rounding off the new vent areas. 20171019_154800.jpg This was repeated a couple of times to get it to how I wanted it in the corners.

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Once happy with all the filling it was time to make it stronger and add some shape over the light areas with fibre glass. I used fibreglass cloth which is thinner and lighter and generally easier to work with than the thicker mat type. Made a couple of inserts out of cardboard and covered in tin foil. (Stops the resin sticking to it) tape these in place and then made a full template ready to apply. Resin applied over the whole grill it was a waiting game for it all to harden and be able to sand it all down for painting 20171111_144357.jpg with foil inserts 20171111_164850.jpg inserts removed.

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Nearly there.... fibre glass is bloody tough to sand down I've found Out!!! A bit more filling just to smooth a few imperfections out and it was ready for painting. A coat of high build primer, and a couple of coats of normal grey primer 20171119_141345.jpg Then it was ready for the black. This was more tricky as the weather was suddenly a lot colder. Set myself up a little spray booth in the shed with a heater to try and keep the temperature up to keep the gloss shine and not cause it to dull off. Good couple of coats of clear lacquer on top and got it hooked on the radiator inside overnight to keep it warm and let it harden up for a few days 20171126_171555.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Time for the mesh to go behind, I um'd and ar'd for a while on what colour to go with and eventually went for gold to match the wheels. 20171126_205421.jpg This was held in by the original brackets on the back of the grill, and then folded around the edges and glued with body shop adhesive. Fitted some led lights next. One set on each end to direct light into the main head lights and one set in the middle to shine through the mesh. Then it was onto fitting and woring up. 20171202_135040.jpg 20171202_132143.jpg 1132017225526.jpg