Project El-noir E50

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So today, I have spent 6 hours filling and sanding the rear bumper, side skirts and front bumper, in an attempt to return my lovely car back to its former glory!
As some of you may have seen, I have been driving round with a 'bumper of shame' for far too long!!
Hopefully all will go well with the spraying tomorrow..... If not it will be going to a body shop at great expense :banghead:
pics to follow!!!!!

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
OK, so the body work re-spray went pretty well :) All done with rattle cans, so by no means bodyshop quality, but a hell of a lot better. And I really enjoyed doing it all :) 922201520262.jpg 9222015202531.jpg 9222015202431.jpg 9222015202343.jpg 9222015202743.jpg 9222015202647.jpg 9222015202714.jpg

Last edited:

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Give it a couple of weeks and attack it with a DA polisher, it'll really bring it to life! Well done mate! Was that just with rattle cans?

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Give it a couple of weeks and attack it with a DA polisher, it'll really bring it to life! Well done mate! Was that just with rattle cans?
Yep all rattle cans. Wanted to use a proper spray gun but it was getting way to expensive! Yeah hopefully a good polish will bring the shine up!

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks guys! The gazebo spray booth was a real talking point with the neighbours..... and I've never had so few cars parked in my street!! Must have taken 1 look at me thought sod that I'm not getting my car covered in black paint! Lol

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
OK, so its been a long time since I updated anything on this project! The mods have certainly been coming along nicely with lots more ideas to do!! Life gets in the way sometimes of keeping on top of things like this! I'll try to get get them down in some sort of order of how they've come along.....

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So I did the interior lights, dash and heater globe upgrade with the led pack bought from the OC shop, and absolutely love how they've changed the look of the interior 526201719300.jpg 5262017193024.jpg 5262017193113.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
5262017193613.jpg 5262017193634.jpg 5262017193559.jpg Onto the interior wood trim next. Tried wrapping it with some funky carbon fibre effect flip colour wrap, but I wasn't happy with the finish on the main centre console. So off that all came and I set to with the spray paint.
Good way to keep busy while the missus was on holiday.
I wanted it black to do them black but thought that might be a bit plain, so had a look around and found some silver glitter paint.
Process: sand down with wet and dry, coat of primer, wet sand, coat of black gloss, and while that was still tacky, over sprayed with glitter paint. Once dry coated with lacquer, then a good wet sand to smooth off the glitter bumps and finished with another coat or two of lacquer. Feel really smooth now :)

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So still annoyed that rear a/c display was still in green, I found a solution from a fellow member on how to change this. Unable to change the globes the only option is to change the perspex from the front of the display. Ordered an A5 piece of blue 3mm perspec from ebay for a few quid. Took the display panel apart which was quite an easy job, removed the green screen drew around it onto the blue, and cut it out with a hacksaw. Popped it in and held it in place with a dab of glue in the corners and Walah :) :) 5262017193051.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Back onto the out side, and finally get the rear boot lid spoiler on that I'd had sitting there for 6 months! Before spraying I decided to get the fitting aspect sorted. So got the drill and set to, making the holes for the outer bolt fixings, marking where to make them with blue tac. Relatively straight forward job, just a bit of a pain making the holes big enough on the inside of the bootlid to take the bolt heads (should of bought the the right tools for the job!!) 526201719354.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
On with getting it painted up, all with rattle cams again. Probably should of bought a spray gun and compressor by now.... but hey ho. All done and fitted and sealed up with a bit of tiger seal to stop moisture getting under and for holding it on. 5262017193525.jpg 5262017193543.jpg

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So off we went on holiday. Another trip to the south of France in the beast. Pulled off one of the mountain roads into a viewing stop and crunch!!!! Bollox what was that?? Get out and have a walk round to find I've near enough snapped one of the side skirts :( out with some electrical tape to hold it together for the rest of the holiday till I can sort it out. Oh and much shouting and expletives from the wife for being a dick!! Lol. Get home and only 2days before JAE 2016 I had to get it sorted. Armed with a Tub of body filler i set to work. Fixed the rear of it and then smoothed over the outside face. Came up pretty well again :) 5262017193424.jpg 5262017193442.jpg