Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
All Elgrand's come with a rocker switch to select between three modes:

NORMAL
SNOW
POWER

The three modes control how the engine and gearbox work together.

Snow mode is what it says on the tin really. Put it into snow mode when it's icy. It'll reduce torque to the wheels to allow you to pull away easier and retain traction

Normal mode is also what it says on the tin. Normal. This is the standard setting.

Power mode. This will increase the limit at which the gearbox will change up a gear. This will also kick in automatically if you are in NORMAL mode and put your foot down (say when joining a motorway on a slip road). It will revert back to normal mode once you lift off the accelerator. It's a personal choice, but I have always kept mine in power mode as I think overall it drives better.

Barrie thomas

E51 Owner
When you say it drives better do you mean its smoother , does it affect the mpg as somebody did suggest, do you use the manual mode ever ? I did think of trying manual but not done out yet

blingo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I very rarely press the power button on mine but it still goes in to power mode regularly! You don't have to floor it (not on the E51 at least - don't know about the E50?) a quick tap on the loud pedal activates it.

I do occasionaly use manual mode. In really slow moving traffic in auto it can still change up whilst idling and reach a speed high than other traffic so I sometimes use manual and keep it in first. Steep descents are similar, can use manual mode to hold a lower gear. Most often though, waiting for an overtake use manual mode to preselect the best gear - power mode won't help much here, it will change up later but will probably be in the wrong gear to start with and have to change down.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
On the diesel engines, power mode actually increases MPG as the revs stay within the turbo power band more. Without it on, it moves up a gear mid turbo boost and then has to spool up again which is a PITA.

With the petrol ones, it will most likely decrease your fuel economy as all you are doing is holding the revs for longer before changing gear.

When you say it drives better do you mean its smoother , does it affect the mpg as somebody did suggest, do you use the manual mode ever ? I did think of trying manual but not done out yet
I find it smoother, the gear changes seem to be more natural for my style of driving. Although I must say that I have an E50 with a 4 speed box. I don't know how the E51 feels with it's 5 speed box. I also cannot comment on manual mode as I've not had one to play with.

I think it's just going to be down to personal preference really. The fuel economy won't be altered THAT much... maybe 1-2mpg variance at most. But again, it also depends on the type of driving you are doing (start stop local / long distance constant speed).

Steviejay

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Mine has a button that says +150 NOS on it? with a little red button.

Also has a fire extinguisher with the same crap written on it in the back.

Some people just add buttons for the hell of it.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Mine has a button that says +150 NOS on it? with a little red button.

Also has a fire extinguisher with the same crap written on it in the back.

Some people just add buttons for the hell of it.
If it IS Nitrous Oxide ffs don’t try putting out a fire with it!