E50 Poor Radio Reception.

marcus truman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi Guys, I have just fitted a new Clarion double din unit in my bus and for some reason the radio reception is poor, very patchy and swishy.

My question is does the aerial have an inbuilt amplifier that is powered by the original head unit? If so does anybody know which wire it is in the radio harness so that I can wire it to the remote output from the head unit?

Many thanks in advance Marcus.

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Hi, when I removed the headliner in my E50 when doing another job , I found an aerial amplifier above the o/s middle side window, above the top seat belt mount, which was only accessible once headliner was removed, I've posted the photos below so you can see location and also a close up of the amplifier box which is attached to earth and also window and a live feed.
Check it is attached to the wires on the window and checklist getting a live feed to ensure you get a reception to your radio. 20170819_140529.jpg
20170819_140519.jpg
20170819_140514.jpg

Last edited:

marcus truman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Rapperfrapper thank you very much for your info, at least I know now to look for the wire at the radio end to power it up. Whilst you had the O/S panel off the bus did you notice the rear heater fan assembly? Mine has stopped working and I have checked all the fuses and need to check the fan motor next.

Cheers Marcus

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
It sounds like you'll have to remove the is trim panel anyway, there is an easy how to guide to this step by step with plenty of photos in issue 2 of the elgrand magazines in a link at top of forum page, and its not that hard to remove, 2 bolts and the rear seat is out, 3 bolts and the heavy chair runner is out, then undo 3 seat belt bolts, unclip the rear light and cigarette lighter socket and approx 14 x 10mm nuts hold the trim in place, and it'l come off and give you all the access you need to get at rear fan, speaker, and possibly if you unclip the pillar trim you might even be able,to get at the powered areial amplifier.