Planning to buy an e51

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
The chips often fail, it's not some fancy reprogramming it's a plug in chip; also it leaves you trying to explain in the future that XX,000 on the clock is KM and then the rest in miles or with the illegal rolling back of the clock to change it.

The bumper mounted fog light is also massively un needed and untidy, much less invasive options are available that look much nicer.

Even if you wanted the chip, and the mounted fog light it's about £150 worth of parts.
Eh?

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
To get the clock to show miles, it's a chip that gets put in behind the dash, it's not a complicated, expensive or time consuming process, they also are renowned for failing later in their life.

Mounting a fog light to the bumper is the quick and nasty way of getting a fog light in place.

Even if you wanted the chip over fascia and mounted fog light, then paying someone £450 is the dealer taking advantage of people.

Last edited:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
I'm assuming that you are thinking of using Japautoagent, those quoted prices sound familiar. If so I can guarantee that the service will be great. The £450 is not for a fascia cover! (that's the cheapo way of converting) its for a reprogramming of the car's electronics so that it will count in miles rather than km, thus the speedo will work without the need for a messy fascia cover and the economy readouts will also be in miles.. Plus you will be able to look at the nice smart Nissan fascia, as it should, look every time you sit behind the wheel... long after the £450 has faded from memory... well worth it in my opinion (the odometer will also be converted to the correct reading in miles so you wont have to perform mathematics in future). And the bumper mounted fog light is a quality item and is well fitted unlike the cheap ones that hang down and require replacement every year because they rot in winter, I know because I used them on my Pajero a few years ago...... An alternative view to the one above.... but its your choice at the end of the day.
The Lockwood dials you couldn't tell the difference, apart from it says MPH. There are cheap nasty ones out there. Better than having the cheap chip put in place and have an mph sticker stuck over the kph one and the needle only moving so far round the dial.
I prefer having the original KMs on the odd rather than having it clocked back once the chip is fitted.

It's all a moot point really I've purchased now however was never keen on the idea of getting a chip to change things it's one more aftermarket thing to go wrong. My old lucida just had a paper mph dial glued over the original kmh dial. Also jap auto agents finders fee was 250 quid more although I have no doubt he is a quality person that goes the extra mile (the videos he gets done for his customers are excellent) he seemed incredibly nice during my 2 hour conversation with him which would of been longer but I have a small number of mins on my phone contract.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
It's all a moot point really I've purchased now however was never keen on the idea of getting a chip to change things it's one more aftermarket thing to go wrong. My old lucida just had a paper mph dial glued over the original kmh dial. Also jap auto agents finders fee was 250 quid more although I have no doubt he is a quality person that goes the extra mile (the videos he gets done for his customers are excellent) he seemed incredibly nice during my 2 hour conversation with him which would of been longer but I have a small number of mins on my phone contract.
Oh wow the paper dial glued over sounds great.
The Lockwood dials are tip top and completely replace the originals some people have been caught out with cheap eBay copies which are see through in some places.
Mine lit up in daylight.
IMAG0800.jpg

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Sorry, none of it was directed at you at all, I was more answering the statement that chipping the Speedo was the right way.

Not meaning to take any shine off your purchase at all mate.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I will just stick with what my selling dealer WRM did and that was fit a new OTT MPH clock face dial. Works great and I cant tell its even there and over the KPH one. Del @ WRM is a master when it comes to Elgrand electrics though. Mine reads speed in MPH but still clocks up the miles in KPH on the trip but I aint bothered about that.

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
So you know what japautoagents fit then? A cheap chip thats renowned for failing..... presumably you know the brand, the price and have statistical data on how many of them have failed.....? no, didn’t think so. Which way you go is purely personal preference....

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
So you know what japautoagents fit then? A cheap chip thats renowned for failing..... presumably you know the brand, the price and have statistical data on how many of them have failed.....? no, didn’t think so. Which way you go is purely personal preference....
Not going to get in to an argument on what is a very nice and friendly forum, I assume he/they fit the readily available chips to convert to mph that have a history of failing long term, you can assume they have access to more expensive and reliable chips that no one else has if you like.

Also rolling back the clock to reflect the change to MPH is not only illegal (regardless of reason for doing it) but it also creates havoc with the paper trail should you wish to sell it on later (even more so, if the chip fails at some point and continues to record in kilometres again for a period).

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
I dont want to get into arguments either, thats why i stick to what i know. The guy who does the conversions in Japan charges japautoagent a tidy sum for his expertise... its not a job not any dickhead can do. They have a reputation for supplying top qualiy vehicles and service. Find somebody who says otherwise....

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
I dont want to get into arguments either, thats why i stick to what i know. The guy who does the conversions in Japan charges japautoagent a tidy sum for his expertise... its not a job not any dickhead can do. They have a reputation for supplying top qualiy vehicles and service. Find somebody who says otherwise....
I've not once questioned the quality of the cars provided by anyone, nor would I on an open forum unless I had a very good reason to.

I was questioning charging £450 for £150 worth of parts when there were cheaper, more reliable, better and legal solutions to the problems available.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm assuming that you are thinking of using Japautoagent, those quoted prices sound familiar. If so I can guarantee that the service will be great. The £450 is not for a fascia cover! (that's the cheapo way of converting) its for a reprogramming of the car's electronics so that it will count in miles rather than km, thus the speedo will work without the need for a messy fascia cover and the economy readouts will also be in miles.. Plus you will be able to look at the nice smart Nissan fascia, as it should, look every time you sit behind the wheel... long after the £450 has faded from memory... well worth it in my opinion (the odometer will also be converted to the correct reading in miles so you wont have to perform mathematics in future). And the bumper mounted fog light is a quality item and is well fitted unlike the cheap ones that hang down and require replacement every year because they rot in winter, I know because I used them on my Pajero a few years ago...... An alternative view to the one above.... but its your choice at the end of the day.
So are you saying then that the £450 fee not only converts the speedo to read in MPH as well as the trip to read in miles BUT it also converts the AV monitor fuel computer readings and associated settings from Japanese KM readings to English MPH/MPG readings which is how I am understanding your description of the service offered for £450???

If this is the case then the guy in Japan doing it would be able to make a fortune converting all Elgrands for UK importing dealers and alike and no doubt he would also be able to convert the audio systems and sat navs too so they can take UK DVD's and play them perhaps?? which again would negate the need to have all the wonderful Jap audio systems removed and replaced with UK compatible stuff

george shacklady

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi I hope this helps I have purchased the same chip they use at japautoagent ,I got my one in this country and it cost £125 and I have had a few from Sam at Japautoagent and I have had Four Elgrands,toyota soarer, alphard,prius all chipped and none have ever fail
I do not know if you can get low grade chips but none of mine have ever failed and if you are wondering about clocking just order a BIMTA certificate for any one who has any concerns

Last edited:
What's the difference between a BIMTA certificate and an export mileage certificate? Seen both mentioned previously, but don't know what the difference is. Is the BIMTA one a history of the mileage over the vehicles lifetime, and the other just stating the mileage it left the port with?

george shacklady

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes the BIMTA is supplied by British motor trade and the export certificate comes from Japan and if you dont import your self you will not see it as the DVLA keep it when you register the car.
This is how so dealer can get away with clocking as the customer does not see the export certificate and he just shows the car with the mileage on the clock

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
There is another way too called JEVIC which ive seen a lot.

If you buy from any of the well know dodgy dealers then they will not give you anything paperwork wise albeit if you buy from a good reputable dealer who has nothing to hide like my dealer WRM I was issues with copies of all my Elgrands paperwork which shows everything about my vehicles life it had in Japan. Mine was a 1 family owned example too and I even have the owners name and address.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just interested that you have 6 kids. I bought our E51 specifically the take one child seat and two toddler seats. The rear seats take two of these. It might be possible to squeeze a small child between them. The other seat is fitted to a middle seat facing backwards. This leaves one middle seat facing forward and the two front seats. I guess if your children are older and don't need the special seats this won't be a problem, but as far as I know if you use it as an eight seater, the centre seats in the middle and back rows only have lap straps. Hope you've got this all figured out and it will be OK for you.

Oh wow the paper dial glued over sounds great.
The Lockwood dials are tip top and completely replace the originals some people have been caught out with cheap eBay copies which are see through in some places.
Mine lit up in daylight.
View attachment 2791
on my ancient old lucida I didn't give a fuck wasn't me that put it there but didn't bother me at all the door cards hanging off didn't bother me at all either nor the laquer peel dents and scrapes loved the smell of the veg oil being used as fuel and the car was amazing loved it.

It's not the plan for my new car but i'm happy to go with the previous options mentioned that are a hell of a lot cheaper and will still leave a nice looking dash display.

Just interested that you have 6 kids. I bought our E51 specifically the take one child seat and two toddler seats. The rear seats take two of these. It might be possible to squeeze a small child between them. The other seat is fitted to a middle seat facing backwards. This leaves one middle seat facing forward and the two front seats. I guess if your children are older and don't need the special seats this won't be a problem, but as far as I know if you use it as an eight seater, the centre seats in the middle and back rows only have lap straps. Hope you've got this all figured out and it will be OK for you.
My oldest is almost 14 next down is a tall 11 they will have the lap belts will be a bit less elbow room than my current c8 but a crap ton more leg room and boot room which they all agree they would rather have. Also only 2 high backed boosters and one normal booster needed so don't need to get 3 in one row :)

Not many options out there for 8 seats beyond what I have at the moment and hate and the i800 but I heard they have their fair share of issues plus diesel I want to get away from that. Other option was a minibus but my wife was really not keen on driving one to work etc not much space there to park so I had limited options that I could afford.

As said before had a lucida before my c8 and we all have very fond memories of it they all loved the twin sunroofs etc so hopefully this was the right decision only time will tell.

As a side note someone on facebook recently got a 3 point belt fitted to their elgrand think they said 290 quid I may actually go down that route.

Last edited: