E51 Parts for servicing

Sara

E51 Owner
Hi,
We are ready to service our E51 and was wondering where everyone gets their parts from please ?
We are really struggling to find the cabin filter (situated in gloves box).
So we are looking at replacing
Air filter
Cabin filter
Fuel filter
Oil filter
Spark plugs
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

BMR

Staff member
E51 Expert
What are you on about user?
Sara please contact me, I have everything you need in stock on my shelves, I too own an E51 and have an online shop for parts at www.bmr-automotive.vpweb.co.uk but don't buy direct off there as Elgrand Owners Club UK members get discount.
Regards Brian.

BMR

Staff member
E51 Expert
Phil I do stock a transmission filter but unless you have small particals in your old fluid it is not necessary to change it at a fluid change. If the filter needs changing then the condition of your gearbox is suspect. I know I am talking myself out of a sale but why change it if its not required. Now you wont get that advice from other parts sellers who are only there to sell you as much as they can will you.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Phil I do stock a transmission filter but unless you have small particals in your old fluid it is not necessary to change it at a fluid change. If the filter needs changing then the condition of your gearbox is suspect. I know I am talking myself out of a sale but why change it if its not required. Now you wont get that advice from other parts sellers who are only there to sell you as much as they can will you.
Excellent, honest advice as usual - thank you Brian :)

I'm getting a judder/kickback on my E51 similar to what the E50 guys get. If I run it in power mode the problem improves quite a bit so I'm thinking it may be transmission related. I think I'll get the transmission fluid changed first & take it from there.

Last edited:

BMR

Staff member
E51 Expert
Sorry David, we cant source the rear filters at present, we have had 30 in the past but due to me being the only supplier in the UK they have all been sold. The size does not cross ref over to any other filter in Europe. As and when they are available I will post up that they are so keep an eye open.
Regards Brian

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Excellent, honest advice as usual - thank you Brian :)

I'm getting a judder/kickback on my E51 similar to what the E50 guys get. If I run it in power mode the problem improves quite a bit so I'm thinking it may be transmission related. I think I'll get the transmission fluid changed first & take it from there.
Hi Phil, I missed this post first time around: did you resolve the judder issue and if so was it solved just with a fluid change?

What miles/Km on your clock too and what periodicity is the normal transmission oil change?

Thanks.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi @Alan Morgan

No, I haven't had it sorted yet, it only happens occasionally but I want to get it sorted.

I've found a very good local mobile mechanic who is going to do transmission fluid, front & rear diff oil, & transfer oil when I have it serviced in the spring.

I think I've got the same series 1 XL as you but mine has 109,000km on the clock now so it's time to start gradually ticking off all the service needs bit by bit so I have a reference point for what's been done & when. There were no fault codes last time I checked with icarsoft but I'll hook it up again prior to service.

I can't find anything in the manuals about how often transmission fluid should be changed but as I don't know when or if it was last done it won't help much.

For anybody who needs the service data types though they're available from page 315 in the owners manual.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I believe a/t fluid is usually good for lifetime only needs changing if it has thickened , become emulsified or has particles in it. All of which indicate other issues within the gearbox.
... or your car has noticeable gear changes other than (lock off) into 5th gear.

No harm changing at fluid at any time and 100k miles or 10 years is probably a JDM car’s design lifetime so Id do transfer and diffs too. My mechanic said the new stuff looked and felt better than the 14 year old stuff he drained. ;)

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
... or your car has noticeable gear changes other than (lock off) into 5th gear.

No harm changing at fluid at any time and 100k miles or 10 years is probably a JDM car’s design lifetime so Id do transfer and diffs too. My mechanic said the new stuff looked and felt better than the 14 year old stuff he drained. ;)
Yep no harm at all and will help to prolong it's lifespan. Though to be fair E51 gearboxes very rarely go wrong even at higher mileage. Only ever had one enquiry for a replacement e51 gearbox (hence they are dirt cheap).
Sold a couple of E50 gearboxes though, but think that was because as they had passed from hand to hand no one ever bothered to check the fluid level/ condition on them.
In general it's a good hard wearing gearbox that Nissan have used, stands up well to the test of time
Steve
Elgrandcarparts.co.uk

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Trans sump pan will corrode through after 5/6 years here in uk, so fluid will need changing then anyway :joy:

dragontea

E51 Owner
For the rear cabin carbon filter, I've researched and found the BMW filter has the same depth and height. I have cut the length to match the length of the intake and it works perfectly. 1 Bmw filter can make 3 rear E51 cabin filters.

Part Numbers:
Fram CF10727; Champ CAF1810C; Wix 49371, BMW 64316962549 64316962553 64319142115, Mann&Hummel CUK8430; Purolator C25624C, Valvoline VCA-1103

nobby62

E51 Owner
nice info dragontea... It is also possible to prolong the filter by vacuuming and carefully washing and drying, if a replacement can't be found immediately,... I have done this and its worked ok