Our Elgrand collection

George322

Premium Member
Looking for good ideas?
Ellie's are not cheap to run so the cost of the fuel used on the 500 would be considerable (about £120) and could be a sticking point for people considering the idea.
Get them all converted to run on LPG with as big a tank as you can fit (90litre) and get a supply tank fitted at the place you will be keeping them at.
Set them on their way with a full tank of LPG and a full tank of petrol and that should get them all the way without having to fill up.
Tell them that they need to return it with a full tank of petrol.
If you get a 90 litre lpg tank fitted it should take 70+ litres of LPG and get them half way round the 500 before it switches to petrol.
The petrol should take them a further 300+ miles.
They would need to fill it with petrol before handing it back but this would only cost them about £60.
The cost to you to fill it with LPG would be no more than 45p a litre -so just over £30.
You could also sell LPG to others. I toured the Highlands a few times this year and paid 72p a litre on average but the further north you go the dearer it gets (86p in some places.) So you would have an additional income from that too.

Make each Ellie individual - give it a name -you will find that that helps with advertising and you will get referrals based on the name as well as returning customers who will ask for the same one they have already used.
Worth thinking about?

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Looking for good ideas?
Ellie's are not cheap to run so the cost of the fuel used on the 500 would be considerable (about £120) and could be a sticking point for people considering the idea.
Get them all converted to run on LPG with as big a tank as you can fit (90litre) and get a supply tank fitted at the place you will be keeping them at.
Set them on their way with a full tank of LPG and a full tank of petrol and that should get them all the way without having to fill up.
Tell them that they need to return it with a full tank of petrol.
If you get a 90 litre lpg tank fitted it should take 70+ litres of LPG and get them half way round the 500 before it switches to petrol.
The petrol should take them a further 300+ miles.
They would need to fill it with petrol before handing it back but this would only cost them about £60.
The cost to you to fill it with LPG would be no more than 45p a litre -so just over £30.
You could also sell LPG to others. I toured the Highlands a few times this year and paid 72p a litre on average but the further north you go the dearer it gets (86p in some places.) So you would have an additional income from that too.

Make each Ellie individual - give it a name -you will find that that helps with advertising and you will get referrals based on the name as well as returning customers who will ask for the same one they have already used.
Worth thinking about?

Hi George

Thanks thats a good bit of information there, depends how much it would cost to get them all lpg converted and how long it would take to get the outlay in money back ?

Once we have the first Elgrands done we will have a website up and running as i own northcoast500camper.com and northcoast500camper.co.uk

thanks Keith

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I think the space for a big motive Lpg tAnk would be better utilised for a smaller domestic Lpg tank and perhaps a fresh water tank and or night heater. At least that’s what I’m considering. Along with a removable rear kitchen/ dinette storage / bed arrangement.

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Which site are u using ,after a 3.5 e50 with factory pop up roof

Hi I have a direct link to 82 auctions a week in Japan, i have special access that can let me view over 65000 cars a week
I deal direct with one of the largest dealers in Japan. I cant say who as i should not really have the access i do.

if i can be of help i will have a look when next logged in.

keith

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_motorhomes

If you sign up, they give you about the best free accesss to auction and other sales info without deposit most other agents require.
Thanks for that,don't think I'm gd enough to buy it myself think I will have to use a agent ,I saw a couple e50 this year on Facebook with factory roof on ,not sure if they were 3.3 or 3.5 ,really want pop up roof but don't want to pay 3k in this country ontop of price of car

George322

Premium Member
Assuming:-
Petrol costs £5.30 a gallon (£1.18 a litre)
LPG costs £2 a gallon (45p a litre)
LPG is 15% less efficient than petrol.
Conversion cost is £1500 (That's what mine cost a year ago but obviously less if you DIY - about £600 less.)
Simon -(lpgc on here) takes four days to convert an Ellie so that will give you an idea of the time and work involved. He's done 20+ Ellie's in the last year so knows what he's doing.

To travel 500 miles it would cost £132.50 on petrol
It would cost £56 on LPG
Saving £76.50 on every 500 mile trip.
Multipy all this by 20 and the conversion will have paid for itself after 20 trips.

There is an additional cost incurred because the lube needs topping up regularly but it's not a lot.
You also need to bear in mind that the LPG tank goes where the spare wheel used to go so there is no room for a spare wheel. If there were problems you'd have to take a spare to wherever the camper was.

I haven't done the 500 (yet) but those who have tell me that it can be a bit rough and bumpy in places. The Ellie is a very low vehicle so you might find that the bottom bits catch a lot and need either fixing or removing.

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for that,don't think I'm gd enough to buy it myself think I will have to use a agent ,I saw a couple e50 this year on Facebook with factory roof on ,not sure if they were 3.3 or 3.5 ,really want pop up roof but don't want to pay 3k in this country ontop of price of car

I will keep a spy for you and let you know if i see one with a pop up, the guys i use will only buy top grade cars and wont buy dirty rusty motors, I have used them since 1993.

Keith