E50 Oil Grades

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well I used to use Asda's own brand semi synthetic engine oil and fully synthetic engine oil in my E50 3.0 Neo and also the same in my brother in laws 3.2 diesel E50.

Never had a problem ever with either and I used to change it once a year with a filter.

Never needed to change my auto box oil as that was nice and red as it should be so if yours is nice and red leave that alone.

The rear diff oil I used the same stuff they put in all the coaches at the firm I drive part time for and again never any issues or noises and it was FREE too which helped save me pennies. Because of this perk I dropped it every 6 months even though it never needed it.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I use:
10w40 Petronas Syntium Semi-Synthetic in the engine;
Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the 'box;
EP80w90 in the rear axle (and the front diff if like mine your's is an all-mode-4wd) - I needed to use some PTFE tape on the drain bolts when I put them back, leaked first time round!

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The QD32 is pretty robust. As long as there is fresh oil in it, it'll just keep going. 10w40 seems to be the best option to go for, totally up to you if you want to go for a cheap "own brand" option or visit OpieOils and see what they have on offer.

I managed to get 5 litres of decent Fuchs oil for my VQ35 for £25 delivered. (Use code TEC for 10% off).

You will need 7 litres of Engine oil for the QD32 (think it takes 6.9 litres including the oil filter).

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The QD32 is pretty robust. As long as there is fresh oil in it, it'll just keep going. 10w40 seems to be the best option to go for, totally up to you if you want to go for a cheap "own brand" option or visit OpieOils and see what they have on offer.

I managed to get 5 litres of decent Fuchs oil for my VQ35 for £25 delivered. (Use code TEC for 10% off).

You will need 7 litres of Engine oil for the QD32 (think it takes 6.9 litres including the oil filter).
Agreed with Karl, Opie oils are a great firm too. I get my oils from them for my Aston Martin.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've just run it into kwikfit for oil changes (5W40), as its cheaper than buying the oil off the shelf, and on the rare occasion I've needed to top up a little I've used Asda's fully synthetic 5W40: https://groceries.asda.com/product/oils-lubricants/fully-synthetic-oil-5l-5w40/910001476641
Never changed the axle oil.
That's the stuff. Excellent value and if you read the specs on the label it far exceeds what is required and modern day oils are now much better than what they used to be and it means a much wider choice for folk too. The old and bold brand names no-longer have the monopoly anymore.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I've just run it into kwikfit for oil changes (5W40), as its cheaper than buying the oil off the shelf, and on the rare occasion I've needed to top up a little I've used Asda's fully synthetic 5W40: https://groceries.asda.com/product/oils-lubricants/fully-synthetic-oil-5l-5w40/910001476641
Never changed the axle oil.
What engine u putting 5w40 into ??? I have a 3.5 e50 which takes 5w30 but was thinking of maybe putting a little thicker in after reading a few posts on Facebook ,don't no why I go on Facebook ,it's crap

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
What engine u putting 5w40 into ??? I have a 3.5 e50 which takes 5w30 but was thinking of maybe putting a little thicker in after reading a few posts on Facebook ,don't no why I go on Facebook ,it's crap
FB is crap my friend. Stay off it and use 5w 40 if you wish. It will do no harm at all.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
FB is crap my friend. Stay off it and use 5w 40 if you wish. It will do no harm at all.
I was actually thinking of putting a thread up ,about Facebook verse forum ,who uses both ,or???? Alot of keyboard warriors on Facebook which doesn't help lol plus I can never find owt after about 2 hours after reading it ha ha ,but I am shite on Tec stuff

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I was actually thinking of putting a thread up ,about Facebook verse forum ,who uses both ,or???? Alot of keyboard warriors on Facebook which doesn't help lol plus I can never find owt after about 2 hours after reading it ha ha ,but I am shite on Tec stuff
Save your fingers matey. I certainly aint interested in anything to do with FB, twitter of alike. They are all den's of inequity. LOL

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
No I was wondering just how many people on here does go on elgrandoc Facebook page , I do but not alot and im thinking of stopping that lol ,I don't have Twitter and such only use messenger and what's app ,

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
No I was wondering just how many people on here does go on elgrandoc Facebook page , I do but not alot and im thinking of stopping that lol ,I don't have Twitter and such only use messenger and what's app ,
Probebly a lot my friend do go on FB as it is a big and widely used site.

I use this forum, Instagram and WhatsApp as they are all secure.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
One other thing worth noting (with the QD32 anyway, not sure on the VG33 or VQ35) is that I also had to put a brand new copper washer on the sump bolt for the last oil change I did - it was 16mm ID (and about 22mm OD I think).

Jasper

E50 Owner
3.2 E50. Consulted Opie oils years ago and that's what they recommended.

Pipes

E51 Owner
If you have a cat in the exhaust you should be using a low saps oil....not the stuff from supermarkets....cos you’ll kill the cat in the end

Pipes

E51 Owner
Cos the metallic anti wear additives in standard oils will shut the cat down over time also the ecu lan sensors may put engine into limp mode