E50 OBD Scanning for the 16 pin E50 and E51 Sorted.

S

Spannerdemon

Re: OBD Code Reading for the later E50

Thanks for this Simon. It's much appreciated, and I take your comments on board, and am not at all offended. Like I said, I'm trying to learn something here, and hope we might all benefit.

I'm just trying to find a relatively simple, economical and quick way for myself and others in the club, to be able to read our codes, and hopefully keep our cars in good order. I know from talking to other owners in Somerset recently that this was something that is of high interest.

I know the motor trade don't like us amateur mechanics, but in fairness, if there wasn't so much mystique and rip off practised by so many garages, we would probably trust each other a lot more. I, like many others I know, when I was much younger have been stung by rogue garages in the past, only to find out later that the repairs charged for, had not even been carried out. In fact in one case, the car hadn't even been moved, but a bill for over £300 had been generated for a full service which had not been carried out. The firm I worked for changed their garage as a result, losing them thousands of pounds a year.

I know of a Ford main dealers near here that not so many years ago, were charging £80 to recode keys. A job that could be done by simply putting the unprogrammed key into the lock, and turning it to various positions for a few seconds. Stuff like that really hacks potential future customers right off, and people don't trust the motor trade a a result.

I'm grateful for your info here. Hopefully your input will help a lot of others.

Keith

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert

Simon said:
There are many more manufacturers of Asian vehicles than Nissan, the readers may well work for other Asian cars, but not Nissan, so the branding/claims of the tools out there are not incorrect.

Not meaning to be offensive but these tools are designed for people with knowledge of the subject and those people know what they are buying. The tools are correctly marketed but you don't have the knowledge to understand the fine print that explains what protocols are supported, they aren't really targeted at joe blogs off the street to buy.

Consult readers do tend to be vastly more expensive as its a limited market, the OBD II protocol is much more widely used so scanners can be knocked out dirt cheap.

In answer to your question:

Dongle: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-ODB2-ODB-II-Wireless-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-Scanner-TS-/381222668574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c2a4491e">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-ODB2-O ... 58c2a4491e</a><!-- m -->

App: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nissandatascan.ndsiilite&hl=en_GB">https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GB</a><!-- m -->
If memory serves me right the bluetooth dongle has to be an "ELM 327" chip, otherwise you may encounter difficulties in it reading the nissan consult protocol.
So be careful when purchasing one.

S

Spannerdemon

Thanks Rapper. Bit bruised with all this, but tomorrow I will return.

Keith, seems like you are getting there, I understand where you are coming from and have support on this one, it would be great for members to get a better understanding of ECU messages and be able to reset that warning light, it is great to get advice and info off fellow members Simons info sounds very useful , but I also need things explaining in a way that Joe Blogs off the street would understand when it comes to all this wiggly amp stuff, Dont give up on this one I think you are almost there. Regards Howard.

S

Spannerdemon

Ok. Last post today. Just an update.

I have now ordered a Bluetooth dongle, ELM327 type, V2.1 which seems to be the latest available. Fortunately it's available in the UK, so should be here soon.
I also get some software with it, but intend to try it with the Android programme Nissan Data Scan.
Once I've got the stuff together, and read up any info that comes with it, I'll update.

Thanks for all the support today guys, all of you, and Howard..... You got it spot on. We home mechanics won't ever be experts, but we can at least try to understand our cars better, in an affordable way, and save ourselves some money in the process. As most garages can't scan our cars anyway, I can't see why it should worry them and might even help them if we then give them work based on more than guesswork.

Keith

S

Spannerdemon

Good morning all.

Attached is a reply from Autel China. I have also had one from Dusseldorf asking for VIN and other model info. This has now been sent.

Dear Keith,
Our engineers have tested this car with our devices, like DS708, Maxisys, MD701, MD802, Maxicheck pro, MaxiService, etc.
Our Autolink models, since they use OBDII, not sure if they can test the Japan imported Nissan Elgrand.

2015-07-09
With kind regards,
Cheryl Zhu
Overseas Tech Support
Autel Intelligent Technology Corp., Ltd.
Tel: (+86)755-22672493
E-mail: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:support01@autel.com">support01@autel.com</a><!-- e --> Web: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.autel.com">http://www.autel.com</a><!-- m -->
8th Floor, Building B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan Road, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China
深圳市南山区西丽街道学苑大道1001号南山智园B1栋8层

The German team are the EU technical arm of Autel. They are continuing to investigate, so I will return when I hear further from them.
Keith

S

Simon

FYI the software that comes with the dongle will not work as once again it doesn't use the Consult protocol, it will work on other standard OBD II car though.

S

Spannerdemon

Thanks for that Simon. I doubted it would, but hope the Android programme might partially work. If not, the search for software will continue. I'm not giving up anyway. I am a very tenacious guy, and this bugs me, so I will keep at it.

The German guys at Autel are being very helpful.

Thanks for your help with this.

S

Spannerdemon

Just got another email from Autel in China. They suggest the Autel Maxisys MS 908.

I have said that it's way too expensive. We need a more basic reader. They will get back to me.

I have to say that they are very helpful.

S

Spannerdemon

Hi guys. I have had this in from Autel. A list of scanners that they reckon WILL communicate with the E50 and E51.

Dear Keith,
Our engineers have tested this car with our devices, like DS708, Maxisys, MD701, MD802, Maxicheck pro, MaxiService, etc.
Our Autolink models, since they use OBDII, not sure if they can test the Japan imported Nissan Elgrand.

2015-07-09
With kind regards,
Cheryl Zhu
Overseas Tech Support
Autel Intelligent Technology Corp., Ltd.
Tel: (+86)755-22672493
E-mail: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:support01@autel.com">support01@autel.com</a><!-- e --> Web: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.autel.com">http://www.autel.com</a><!-- m -->
8th Floor, Building B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan Road, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China
深圳市南山区西丽街道学苑大道1001号南山智园B1栋8层
发件人:"sales.EU EU" <sales.eu@autel.com>
发送时间:2015-07-08 22:18
主题:Re: Code Reader for the Nissan Elgrand series of vehicles

Hope this helps.

My own Bluetooth reader arrived today. Smart little gizmo. I had hoped it would communicate with the Android programmes NDSI NDSII or NDSIII. So far though, although the adaptor powers up, and pairs to my tablet, it will not communicate. I will try it again with my laptop when I have time. It May be that it doesn't like my ASUS tablet. Can't think of any other reason, but as it's a Bluetooth connection, wouldn't have thought so!

There WILL be an economical solution. We WILL get there.

Keith

jonesy

E51 Owner

Good stuff Keith.
There will be a solution, question is how much it will cost....as always !

BMR

Staff member
E51 Expert

Launch Diagun is made for Asian and American vehicles. It think it's been superceeded now by a bigger more expensive unit. The main box has a mobile phone size display and bluetooth transmitter with a charger for the handset the second box has all the adapters you need inc Nissan 14 and 16 pin obscure Honda gm Merc bmw etc etc. you can even adjust timing fueling and tick over on the E51 I have no reason to think it won't go deep on the earlier vehicles as well.

S

Spannerdemon

Thanks for that Brian.

Just had an email from Tom at NDS Australia. I've sent him some screenshots and He is pretty sure that the device I have been sent is defective. Will have to return and source another,
It seems that the very latest version of the Bluetooth device, V2.1 has many bad chips, and issues in that it won't read the full programme. They recommend V1.4 or V1.5. Apparently a lot of hacked, useless 2.1 chips being sold, which are u/s. Trust me to get one!!

Never mind. A few more days...... AAAAAAgh!!

*********UPDATE. email received from Tom. From the screenshot info I sent him, the Bluetooth device IS defective for the reason above.
I have already ordered another one which he is confident will work. Should be here in a day or two.

Thanks again to all of you who know far more about this than me, and have followed and contributed to this. It's been a steep learning curve for me at my age, but I love to learn. Simon has been very patient with me, despite probably wanting to tear his hair out at the antics of this old git :grin:

If all goes as it should, we should be able to read our codes and do other stuff on the 16 pin OBD II TYPE socket, for an all in cost of around £15 which is far more acceptable for DIY use than full blown garage diagnostic kit for the Elgrand series, (which most garages don't have anyway).

But let me get the other adaptor first to check it does the job.

S

Spannerdemon

Hi Guys.

Ok. Success. For the first time since I have had our car, I have, this afternoon been able to easily read the ECU and engine data from the 16 pin (later) socket on the E50 with very little cost involved.

Everything came up very clearly, engine data, codes, and other stuff. I have been able to clear one fault code, clear the previous data that was stored, and it already is running even quieter than before, which I can barely believe.

I am just waiting for one email from another source, and HOPE to be able to tie this up in the next day or so. It May even be excellent news for E51 Owners too. Hopefully we will all soon be able to sort out or own on board diagnostics without the expense of using garages.

I have to be in Bristol tomorrow so will hope to be back on it very soon. Any Bristol or close by owners around want a short meet?

Keith.

Re: OBD Code Reading for the later Elgrands

Keith, well done it seems all your hard work has paid off, have you managed to clear that warning light .

Regards Howard.

S

Spannerdemon

Re: OBD Code Reading for the later Elgrands

Hi Howard. Just got back from Bristol.

Yes. Cleared a code that was showing. Software is amazing.

I have now received the cable and email I was waiting for. I'll update either later or tomorrow, but all is looking good.

Keith.

S

Spannerdemon

OBD Code Reading 16 pin E50/51.

OK guys. Here is the result of my labours over the last week or so.

Firstly a Thank You to all the members who contributed to this with ideas, expertise, suggestions and time.
To Autel in Dusseldorf and China. To Tom at Nissan Datascan. And to all those who have supported this idea and offered encouragement.

I have taken ideas and info from all of you, so this is not MY work......more yours.

FACT: The Nissan Elgrand CANNOT be read by bog standard OBDII readers....so don't waste your time or money. Neither can most cheap scanners claiming to read 'Asian cars'. Again don't waste your money.

The 16 Pin socket on the later E50's and E51 cars needs a Nissan Consult compatible reader. Thank you Simon, and others. It was difficult to understand that OBD doesn't mean OBD when dealing with Nissan!

AUTEL say that their engineers have tested these cars and that their DS708, MaxiSys, MD701, MD802, Maxicheck Pro, Maxiservice etc models WILL read our cars. So those are possibilities for you.

But I was still thinking of cheaper alternatives for DIY guys like me who want to keep their cars in good order, and be able to do that at a reasonable cost. Some of the scanners and tools mentioned have been too expensive to buy unless you were running a business.

So would you believe that you can perform BASIC diagnosis, if you have an Android phone or tablet for the sum of £7.95.
That can be achieved by buying a small Bluetooth adaptor and using a FREE Android Lite app.

Adaptor: mini ELM 327 V1.5 OBD2 II Bluetooth Diagnostic Adaptor and the Android App, Nissan DatascanII Lite Free.
****DO NOT buy the newer V2.1 adaptor. They don't work with this. :(

Bear in mind this just does the basics though.

BUT: If you want to really have a tool that will truly take your breath away, then that's not for you!
Read on....

I have today invested in a VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2II 16 pin to usb Blue cable at £5.95
and a FULL registered VERSION of Windows DatascanII for £34.72 (Aus $69.80).

Having seen a video of this programme, I am blown away with it, and see no reason to try and work with a Time Limited Demo version of this programme, so I decided that for a total cost of £40.67, I now have software that will enable me to sort out virtually ANY engine related problem with my car.

Heres the video. Stick with it...this guy knows what he's doing!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/Dtn8-1F3eBM">https://youtu.be/Dtn8-1F3eBM</a><!-- m -->

So there you have it guys. Cheap and good diagnostic stuff for your car. Cheaper than ANY tool type scanner, and with far more information. For £40. That's a steal :yahoo: :yahoo:

Now YOU CAN read your own codes, and do your own repairs based on the accurate results.
Now you WILL know if garages are trying it on. And most of THEM can't read Nissan Elgrand Codes anyway, but will charge you more than this to try!

This kit will pay for itself the first time you use it, and by fine tuning your engine with it, will ensure your car is running as it should, saving you expensive fuel.

Please support Tom at Nissan datascan. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nissandatascan.com">http://www.nissandatascan.com</a><!-- m -->
This is an awesome programme, and you won't get anything like it or even half a scanner that works like this for £40 anywhere. Don't be tight. Buy it and support him.

Note. The Paid Android version merely removes the ads. It does NOT give you the full Windows diagnostic programme. You have to buy that. But WHAT a buy! :clap2:

He has been a great help in getting this info, and I'd like to think we will stick with him. He sees no reason why the E51 shouldn't work with this same programme, as its the same engine. I'm going to work with him on this. Anyone with an E51who can help with this please let me know.

So there's your info. I'm going to enjoy learning about this stuff, and exploring its potential.

I hope its useful to all of you who, like me, have to watch the pennies!

Keith