E51 OBD (Consult 2) Code Reader/Clearer Tools

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I still use Nissan Datascan 2 on a laptop with USB/VAG cable, its cheap and it works. Youtube search 'Elgrand Datascan' and a video shows howoto connect and use it, also explains some of the features. Great tool but only talks to engine management via the ECU not the other BCM functions. Clears codes, monitors engine parameters, allows you to switch off ignition coils for fault finding, reset idle speed etc. I got the paid for version but its not expsnsive , I believe the free light version is very, very limited.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@Phil has some experience with these or similar tools I think?

Your vehicle has I think, the OBD2 physical connector but the data from it is the Nissan Consult 2 protocol I believe (others please confirm).
I started off with Nissan Datascan 2. Like @spuddyo says it's well priced & has lots of useful features - the video is well worth viewing.

Because datascan 2 only reads ECM I also got the icarsoft .

I bought them while the Elgrand was still under the dealer's warranty so I could check if there was anything that might need sorting. There were no fault codes so all was fine. To be honest I've only used them once so I've forgotten how to use them. I'll have to get them out in the spring & refresh my memory :)

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/j...-2002-e51-rider-autech.6642/page-3#post-62253

Heres the thread about what happened @MrRob_in. Think I will need to get one of these devices! I have got the USB/VAG lead as I won it a while back on the forum, so really only need the Nissan Data Scan software @Phil , only problem is I am mainly an Apple Mac man! The only PC I have is a HP notebook! lol
Yep I’m the same Apple only since 2006 and no access to Windowz pc other than Son’s mega gaming set up that’s probably more ££££ than the e51 so I don’t think he’d let me lug it outside to hook to the van 😂

I’d guess just a sensor got knocked or unplugged and or a little dirt got somewhere is shouldn’t.

350z works for Consult 2 at Nissan Stealerships but my local one only had Consult 3 and no access to pre 2007/8 car systems even Euro spec ones 🤪 they still tried to charge £75 for telling me they couldn’t access my car’s systems 🤣

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
You can get the iCarsoft i903 from diagnostics-world.com (link) for £99 inc VAT and P&P.

At that price I'm tempted to just add the i903 to my toolbox, but as yet, I've no error codes or other detected need to buy.

However, at the first sign of the EML etc, that'll be my first buy - a definite alternative to the Stealership for sure.

You can see the i903 in action on this youtube vidio here.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
You can get the iCarsoft i903 from diagnostics-world.com (link) for £99 inc VAT and P&P.

At that price I'm tempted to just add the i903 to my toolbox, but as yet, I've no error codes or other detected need to buy.

However, at the first sign of the EML etc, that'll be my first buy - a definite alternative to the Stealership for sure.

I've never had any warning lights up on mine but I wanted to check for codes anyway because I wouldn't put it past some dodgy dealers to whip out the bulbs behind the dash to hide any problems.

I'm lucky to have access to datascan2 & icarsoft but if I had to choose just one it would be the icarsoft as @Alan Morgan says. It's portable & it scans more systems - have a read on Alan's first link for more info. If you do a lot of travelling you can just clear the wife's rubbish out of the glovebox & store it in there :)