noob questions series 3 headunit

hi everyone, i have been lurking for a while but just joined as i have decided to buy my first elgrand

i have put down a deposit on what i believe is a 3 series and will be collecting it in one week, the seller has offered to change the menu system to English at a cost of 1k,

has anyone else had this done? from research it seems its some russians who have worked this out and the kit is shipped from Estonia?

am i right in thinking that the 3 series is a pain to change out the headunit? is it even possible? it seems fairly straight forward on a s1 or s2.

also does anyone know if the s3 has av inputs? or any aux inputs at all?

any help or advice would be great or should i post this question some somewhere else?

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Welcome to the club! :D

I think you’ll find some info in the AV section but s3 cars are only just starting to trickle is they are just reaching 10 years old.

As to oe av spec it depends what was fitted to your car, not much is ‘standard’ fit. Many cars are modified too.

Welcome to the club! :D

I think you’ll find some info in the AV section but s3 cars are only just starting to trickle is they are just reaching 10 years old.

As to oe av spec it depends what was fitted to your car, not much is ‘standard’ fit. Many cars are modified too.
hi thanks for your reply,

i have had a rake through the forum looking for info, i had better success using google to search the forum and did get a little info but like you say its scarce. i was hoping there would be some s3 owners around

it seems the s3 entertainment system is a double edged sword more fancy and lots of features but also more difficult to replace, i have a week left to research and if its going to cause me issues im thinking about just going for an s2 so i have no trouble playing tunes! :p

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Yep, one reason I like s1 cars. Av system sounds ok & is simple enough to navigate to get Bluetooth into rear rca for music.

£1k seems a lot for 8/10 year old av equipment. My 3 year old phone does more, better.

Yep, one reason I like s1 cars. Av system sounds ok & is simple enough to navigate to get Bluetooth into rear rca for music.

£1k seems a lot for 8/10 year old av equipment. My 3 year old phone does more, better.

exactly and im sure a 200 quid android head unit would be amazing..but...is it possible to fit?

hopefully someone in the know will be along

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
music box settings.JPG Series 3 stereo is great, no need to change and it's easy to get to know the common touch screen menus. I use Music Box more than anything and it loads up all your CD'titles etc in English anyway. It's easy to get around, there is an English Menu translation and Musicbox info on my dropbox page.. Because the Stereo head unit also contains other stuff it's not easy to change, so embrace it and enjoy it's features. Bluetooth, Musicbox, CD. DVD, Radio, Compact Flash, RCA Aux Inputs. The touch screen display pages can easily flick between Air Con, Trip display and Stereo, also you have instant control of drop down rear screen, Infra Red Headphone output etc. Just Ignore Carwings and Japanese GPS system.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qure3r7m4j6n7fp/AACjq3BWF4zi8yxom4Fe1jloa?dl=0

Last edited:
thanks for your replies guys and esp the info you have shared Steve

ive been down to london and picked up my elgrand this week, and now cant help myself but go digging around for what i can tweak, the dealer had one of the s3 elgrands running with the english conversion and after a play with it i couldnt help myself and ive gone and ordered the russian sourced conversion unit, so i will let you all know how i get on with that, though its not due to arrive for around a month.

ive a few questions for about stuff folks on here may know about, thanks to the info on here i understand i have to switch the Panasonic tv tuner on to get the aux inputs working. this seems like a bit of a faff, even if you can drop the screen with the front controls you then have to mess around with the remote to get it all working? wondering if there is a bypass

i noted that the panasonic tv tuner has a slot with a card inserted and also looks like it has an sd card slot in it? has anyone changed out the tv tuner for one that would work in europe or oz?

has anyone tried to run 12v power to the center console so people in the back can have a usb charger or the center console could be used to charge and store phones?

in my glovebox there is a multi pin socket of some sort looks almost like one for a obd anyone know what thats for?

thanks for all your input i hope to be able to add to the forum with what i learn from tinkering

alex

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Once the Panasonic tuner is on and set to aux it stays on and set to aux. no need to do it every time, at least on mine anyway. You can remove it and bypass the wiring if you like, I have the details here for the one in mine. It's mounted in the rear drivers side corner, behind the 12v socket trim panel.

Attachments

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Alex. More info. There is a 110v outlet in the back seats that can be used to plug a USB charger into, you can buy them with 100-250v inputs and multi USB outputs with the correct plug on for a few quid. The switch to turn that outlet on is under the steering column near your ankles. OBD port is behind the coin tray by your right knee, not sure what the one in your glovebox is for.

Hi Alex. More info. There is a 110v outlet in the back seats that can be used to plug a USB charger into, you can buy them with 100-250v inputs and multi USB outputs with the correct plug on for a few quid. The switch to turn that outlet on is under the steering column near your ankles. OBD port is behind the coin tray by your right knee, not sure what the one in your glovebox is for.
thanks again steve

any idea about direct replacements for the panasonic box? being able to get tv working in the uk would be sweet

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
No idea, I am in Australia and rarely go to the city so no point here as coverage is shite. Someone in UK might be able to advise. There must be a unit you can wire in its place, should be easy enough but might need new antenna.

Last edited:

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Stationary digi terrestrial tv coverage a bit hit or miss with roof mounted aerial so can’t see little car window mounted systems being better. Certainly streaming audio over 3/4G is more stable than DAB ime so I’d go that route in preference and mirror tv/video app from smartphone.

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hey Alex, you confused me now ! Series 3 is an E51, you got an E52 ? That might make all previous advice regards S3 redundant ? You can get english conversions for E52, here in Aus anyway. About $2k. Series 3 stereo looks like this.....

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey Alex, you confused me now ! Series 3 is an E51, you got an E52 ? That might make all previous advice regards S3 redundant ? You can get english conversions for E52, here in Aus anyway. About $2k. Series 3 stereo looks like this.....

my mistake its an e51 i have

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
If not exactly the same perhaps similar phone / mobile internet adapter / interface for another gadget?