E51 No sound from rear speakers

Hi, recently purchased an '05 rider and been playing music via my phone and rear aux ports however im only getting sound through front speaker by passenger glove box! This is the same if I use the in built radio. So is this likely to be a setting I can adjust/button I need to press or something more serious 🤔It's a non Bose system which I intend to replace with a pumpkin head unit I have laying around soonish anyway so if I need to pull things apart to look closer, now's the time!

Cheers,

Sam

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I imagine if there is no sound coming from the rear at all that the speakers are dead.

I know this is a problem with the E50's, and I'm sure the 51 have the same speaker cones made out of paper.

Ok, thanks Karl. I'll look into some replacements after checking out the current ones. I'll have a look on here re sizing, removal and install but pretty sure I've read somewhere it's a pain in the arse job!

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yeah, it's easier to check the wiring behind the head unit before you go poking at the speakers. It could be that a previous owner has butchered the wiring (not uncommon). But most likely it's the speakers that are dead.

With yours being an E51, rear speakers are 5.25" front speakers are 6.5".

Do you have the separate woofer in the door card and tweeter in the A pillar (front) and near the reading lights (in the rear)?

Yeah, it's easier to check the wiring behind the head unit before you go poking at the speakers. It could be that a previous owner has butchered the wiring (not uncommon). But most likely it's the speakers that are dead.

With yours being an E51, rear speakers are 5.25" front speakers are 6.5".

Do you have the separate woofer in the door card and tweeter in the A pillar (front) and near the reading lights (in the rear)?
Thanks for the sizes. Not sure tbh as not with the vehicle at the moment so will check in a bit. Take it the tweeters would be fairly easy to spot though and is there a particular door the woofer is more likely to be situated in if there is one? Do you think this could be another reason for the problems then?

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
No, just wondered. The separate woofer/tweeter set up seems to be more robust than just having a coaxial speaker in the door card.

The door card speaker will be in the same location regardless of whether or not you have the tweeters. The tweeters will be obvious as you'll see them on the A Pillar that runs up along the side of the windscreen. If you don't have front ones, you won't have back.

I was just curious because if you have the tweeters, then it would suggest there was a wiring fault, more than a speaker fault. If you do have them, it would be unlikely for both the tweeter and the woofer to fail together.

No, just wondered. The separate woofer/tweeter set up seems to be more robust than just having a coaxial speaker in the door card.

The door card speaker will be in the same location regardless of whether or not you have the tweeters. The tweeters will be obvious as you'll see them on the A Pillar that runs up along the side of the windscreen. If you don't have front ones, you won't have back.

I was just curious because if you have the tweeters, then it would suggest there was a wiring fault, more than a speaker fault. If you do have them, it would be unlikely for both the tweeter and the woofer to fail together.
Ok. So after another check (although in the dark) I seem to have tweeters in front pillar's but not back. There is(minimal) sound coming from rear speakers and also the passenger side tweeter but you literally have to have to have your ear right up next to them to hear them, regardless of fading/balance/volume settings.

So effectively, i currently have a fully working passenger door speaker, totally dead driver's door speaker and driver side tweeter and library issue rear speakers and passenger tweeter.

Hopefully when I pull it all apart some dodgy wiring/loose connection surface

Are you sure it is not the Radio fader that is not set correctly
To be fair I initially hadn't seen the fade option but unless I'm missing something this isn't fixing it. the controls on the factory stereo give me the option to fade between front and back only (assuming this is standard)

Regardless of how I have the settings, the best i can get is a fully working passenger front speaker. The rest of the speakers/tweeters are either silent or really quiet.

I've got a d/din facia on its way so as soon as I get it I'll get the old stereo out, replace it and hope there's some obvs loose/dodgy cabling that's causing this or a faulty head unit 🤞

Thanks for your reply

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
You need to get a new radio in and working to make sure it's not the internal amplifier on that unit that's shot.

If it is shot, then the new radio will sort that out. If a new head unit doesn't fix the problem, then it sounds like there is an external amplifier somewhere that is not switching on.

The only other thing to do would be to remove both front door cards and check the speakers. If one of them is goosed, that would explain why the others are silent. But that doesn't explain why the tweeters are quiet.

It all points to an external amp.

You may not have the Bose set up, but is there a super sub in the back? If there is, then you have definitely got an external amplifier that is no longer connected or faulty.

You need to get a new radio in and working to make sure it's not the internal amplifier on that unit that's shot.

If it is shot, then the new radio will sort that out. If a new head unit doesn't fix the problem, then it sounds like there is an external amplifier somewhere that is not switching on.

The only other thing to do would be to remove both front door cards and check the speakers. If one of them is goosed, that would explain why the others are silent. But that doesn't explain why the tweeters are quiet.

It all points to an external amp.

You may not have the Bose set up, but is there a super sub in the back? If there is, then you have definitely got an external amplifier that is no longer connected or faulty.
Either way should become clearer once I've changed head unit. Hoping this is the cause as it's the easiest fix as I wanted it changed over anyway. Not really taken much apart yet to see what equipment I've got but know it's a non Bose system and there's a box in the panel behind the RCA sockets which I'm guessing is the TV tuner( should I remove this or just leave in, I know it's redundant but is there any point removing?) If there is a sub it's well hidden, no sign of one in boot area.