Newbie Head Unit Question

Hi All!

Been lurking the forum for the last week or so after the Elgrand came to my attention and learnt alot on here thanks! Looking to get an E51 after I've sold my TT...probably the import route if I can be patient enough to wait lol.

I want it primarily as a weekend camper, so got alot of ideas for what I want to do in regards to a kitchen pod etc. But have people had alot of luck with a good entertainment system?

I've seen the walkthrough for fitting a double din head into which will come in handy but I'm just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to stream netflix onto any of the units? Obviously not when I'm driving. I've got unlimited data on my phone so that's not an issue just haven't had any experience with the new android head units etc. And so long as its wired correctly it should work on all screens right?

Thanks in advance too!

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Alright mate. Welcome to the club.

Not sure of any head units that will stream Netflix, but you can get a clever device called MiraCast. You use it to stream whatever is on your phone/tablet through the car AV system. That will definitely do what you need it to :)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I just use my iPhone 6plus as the screen (use cheap
Tablet if you want a large screen) and stream audio via a Bluetooth receiver to rear audio aux in of oe system. £20. Oe (even base 4 speaker system) Sounds good at low to mid volume which is fine as e51 cabin is quite. Only issue would be providing a new positive switch(ed) feed to mimic the Accessories feed to the headunit.

I was toying with the casting route...I have a Chromecast which I've piggybacked onto my phone's hotspot. So if I get a unit with HDMI and a usb slot I can't see why it shouldn't work plus my phone would still be useable but until I get it and play around it's theory at the moment! Lol

The tablet route was my plan B if I couldn't get it working through the built in screens. I just think it would be a shame if I can't utilise them in some way :(

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Oe screen especially s1 are crap by today’s standards so I don’t think it’s worth using them. But them my back seat passengers are dogs and they do it old school like we did as kids and look out windows 😁